HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jun 29, 2011, 3:12 PM

Toronto - We need to get creative with transit, not force tolls.

We need to get creative with transit, not force tolls: Doug Ford

Jun 28 2011

By Tess Kalinowski

Read More: http://www.thestar.com/news/transpor...doug-ford?bn=1

PDF Commuter Projections Report: http://www.bot.com/Content/Navigatio..._Top_Speed.pdf

Quote:
Put the road tolls, the parking levies, the tax tools and a dozen other money-making ideas on the table and then make a plan — by next spring — on how to tackle the Toronto Region’s growing gridlock crisis. That was the Toronto Board of Trade’s message Tuesday to Ontario political parties heading into a fall election. “This is a top issue, up there with the issues of health care with the issues of education,” said board CEO Carol Wilding at the release of the business group’s report Reaching Top Speed Infrastructure: Unleashing Ontario’s Ability to Grow. Failure to act would boost the region’s 80-minute average commute to nearly two hours a day, and the $6 billion hit the economy takes from congestion will spike to $15 million within 20 years, she said.

- Conservative transportation critic Frank Klees rejected outright the notion of tolls or new taxes to pay for transit. “Our focus is on relief for consumers. Adding additional costs on the back of Ontario families is just not on for us,” he said. “This is something we’ll look at in the long term, but this not what transit activists are asking for,” said NDP critic Cheri DiNovo. At a government management committee meeting Tuesday, Toronto Councillor Doug Ford said tolls shouldn’t be forced on drivers.

- “What I would be in favour of, and this is just an example, say we have a real creative company that wants to tunnel underneath the (Gardiner Expressway) and when you’re coming downtown you have an option, either paying $5 similar to the 407, $5 to go under the tunnel or you can do it for free on top and wait an extra 45 minutes, it’s really up to the public,” Ford said. “What I’d really like to see is three levels, one for a train, one for the toll and one for regular traffic with no toll and let’s develop on top of the Gardiner and that would pay for itself ... If you’re asking me: ‘Would I pay $5 to get downtown quicker and not knock off 14 bicycle riders on the way down Queen St.?’ I would do it in a heartbeat.”

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation