HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 2:57 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSyd View Post
i finally got a prime lens, 35mm nikon. so far it's sweet.

-
Hells yeah! Its about time. You still shooting with the d90?

My Book

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 1:18 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
giallo, you'll make good use of that lens
I hope to. It'll open up a side of photography that I've long missed. Three years is far too long to be shooting without a zoom lens, and Shanghai is a city that requires one, especially for candid portraits (people here don't like getting their picture taken at all).

diskojoe, I've wondered the same thing. I want to get in to filming more, so I guess I'll find out how hot this camera gets pretty soon.

Ramsay, awesome video. Thanks.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 3:30 AM
tilted & shifted

Happy to say my portfolio was accepted by Hedrich Blessing. Although they aren't currently hiring, they want me to freelance in the future.

http://www.architechgallery.com/arch..._blessing.html

One of their "classic shots"
http://www.hedrichblessing.com/classicportofolu.html

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
Happy to say my portfolio was accepted by Hedrich Blessing. Although they aren't currently hiring, they want me to freelance in the future.

Congrats man, your style will fit right in with them. That's quite an accomplishment.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 2:18 AM
tilted & shifted

^Thanks!

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 2:19 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post

Congrats. They would be foolish not to throw you some work.

My Book

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 12:12 AM
Look up, Waaaaaay up

Great video by The Camera Store comparing the D800 to the Hasselblad H4D-40.
Video Link

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 2:18 PM
3rd Coast King

I cant watch the video at work but the d800 is definitely a game changer that might start cutting into hassie sales. Why spend $40k when you can get almost as many mp's for a fraction of the price. The may have to really consider reevaluating their price points.

My Book

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 7:51 PM
Ex Houstonian

Holding it was like having sex, ugh. Only in my dreams would I own this camera.

I bought this though and sold my dx fisheye for the fx since I now have the d700.

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 7:21 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Holding it was like having sex, ugh. Only in my dreams would I own this camera.
I once rented a Leica + lenses for the day. You wanna talk about how holding something is like sex.... Shame, though, because I just can't imagine using a Leica as my camera. There's just so many technical issues, especially ISO. Also, the really small lenses bug me. But still, when the lighting is just perfect, and the angle is right, the M9 can make magic.

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 2:22 PM
3rd Coast King

A few new test shots with my a580 and sigma 17-50mm f2.8. So far I am really loving the new a580. The live-mos sensor is a huge improvement from the ccd that my a200 had. Coupled with the Sigma 17-50 its pretty lethal. Only problem so far is that I have to convert the raw files into DNG format so photoshop can read them because I still use the cs4 version. Very small issue though.

Houston skyline from George Bush Park by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

Orange El Camino by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

peaking by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

Roderick - 100 Strangers: 14/100 by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

My Book

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 7:05 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

congrats! hope you enjoy your new equipment for a long time!

sucks about raw not supported on your version though. I really thought adobe would be better with keeping raw plugins updated with past (past) versions.

has anyone seen the new flickr and how can i change it? the pictures look HUGE (and i have a 24 inch screen!). seriously, it looks whack. it looks uneven with the text and there's too much variation between vertical and horizontal pictures.

I also don't like their 'justified' viewing window. blah!

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 1:03 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
congrats! hope you enjoy your new equipment for a long time!

sucks about raw not supported on your version though. I really thought adobe would be better with keeping raw plugins updated with past (past) versions.

has anyone seen the new flickr and how can i change it? the pictures look HUGE (and i have a 24 inch screen!). seriously, it looks whack. it looks uneven with the text and there's too much variation between vertical and horizontal pictures.

I also don't like their 'justified' viewing window. blah!
I dont plan to have to upgrade my camera from the 580 any time soon, just lenses. I still want to add a wide angle. Still debating between sigma 10-20 f3.5 and tokina 11-16 f2.8. I think I'll probably end up with the sigma so all my zooms match but that extra stop on the tokina is very attractive. I also have a friend sell a bunch of zeiss glass. Going to go talk to him about buying his 85mm f1.4.

I can deal with the raw file issues. A little extra work but no additional costs for the moment.

as for flickr I kind of like the justified viewing window for my contacts. Not perfect yet but its better then before.

My Book

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 12:18 PM
Global Citizen

I just received an E-Mail from a publisher who would like to use one of my photos in a book.

Can you give me an advice how much I can charge them for the photo. What's the usual asking price? $30? $50?

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 10:05 PM

^ What is the photo? Will it be used for the cover? Or will it be featured in the book along with other illustrations?

My first word of advice would be to ask them how much they'll pay for it so you can have an idea of the ballpark when negotiating...

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 11:07 PM
So very tired...

Quote:
Originally Posted by R@ptor View Post
I just received an E-Mail from a publisher who would like to use one of my photos in a book.

Can you give me an advice how much I can charge them for the photo. What's the usual asking price? $30? $50?
Waaaay too low. If it is fairly specialized/not many copies try $100-200. If it will be printed in large numbers (50,000+) ask for more.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 4:39 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by R@ptor View Post

Find the circulation numbers. You could ask for something like $800-1000 for a mag with good circulation. Something major you could double that easily. Your work is excellent quality and your initial asking price is far too low for publishing. Thats more like a 8x10 print price to a direct consumer for a single image with no publication rights. I had a friend that got printed in an english mag about music and art and he got $800 for two images and they wrote a story about him and the unbex stuff he was doing at the time.

My Book

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 12:13 AM
be nice to the crackheads

diskojoe and bulliver speak the truth. Ask them what the intent is with the image. If they want to have an exclusive multi-year copyright or to buy the image outright, you can ask for A LOT more.

As an example, I sold a single photo to a law firm (they hold the copyright for two years, after which I can use/sell it again as I please) for $1300USD.

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 12:44 AM
Global Citizen

Thanks a lot guys.

It will be included in a fairly specialized book with a lot of illustrations and photos and I will keep the copyright on it.

So I guess €100 ($135) sounds about right.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 3:26 AM

This has got me wondering. I know you can get paid good when talking about prints, but what about online websites? I was recently contacted through flickr by someone from a travel website to use one of my pictures. The message read:

Quote:
Hello,

I am the Online Photo Coordinator for American Express Publishing. We are currently working on a Walking Guide through Chicago for travelandleisure.com and would love to feature your image seen here:

Our standard rights agreement for the usage of these images is below.

Rights Agreement:
In addition to possible publication on Travel + Leisure’s website, American Express Publishing (and its affiliates and licensees) may reproduce, distribute, display and publish the photographs you provide in and via webpages, websites and other publications, products and services that contain, exhibit, or are branded with the name or logo of the magazine or website, and use the photographs for the promotion of the foregoing.

By providing the photographs to Travel + Leisure you thereby confirm that you grant American Express Publishing the rights to use the photographs as described above, you have those rights to grant, you represent that such use will not violate the rights of any third party, and you agree to take full responsibility for the same.
I haven't told them I would like to be paid... should I charge them? If so, how much?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography