HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 12:00 AM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
I somehow doubt the "Vancouver Athletics" are going to get a lot of hype.
Vancouver Eh's??

Do something about your future.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 12:40 AM
victory in near

I would rather see this in Mexico City

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 5:56 PM

Vancouver on an MLB shortlist is like seeing Salt Lake City or Saskatoon on an NHL shortlist. Or maybe even worse, Halifax. Or any non-US market on an NBA shortlist not named Vancouver, Montreal or Mexico City.

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 8:05 PM

I think MLB in Vancouver will eventually happen (and I would very much like to see it happen), but it has a long way to go. There are a lot of cities that are making actual efforts right now to secure future teams or a relocated franchise, including Montreal, Nashville, and Portland, which is something Vancouver is not really doing. It was interesting to see that news back last year about the Diamondbacks looking into BC Place as a backup venue in case Chase Field were to have an issue, but I find the notion of the Diamondbacks relocating to Vancouver unlikely, as I think they are more likely to settle for something like Las Vegas.

The Athletics are an interesting opportunity, but I really think they will end up going to Portland. The discussion is definitely worth having, though. It seems like the big-4 leagues are definitely warming up to the idea of Canada again these days, and especially with what is happening with the Rays/Montreal, it's not out of the question that a team might want to relocate to Vancouver.

Vancouver and the BC media market as a whole are capable of supporting another big-4 team and the case for it will only be made stronger as the Lower Mainland grows in population, but I don't know if it will be baseball. I think efforts are best focused right now on bringing the NBA back to Vancouver. That, to me at least, seems much more achievable.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 8:29 PM

And we've already got an NBA-ready stadium, so that's a plus. We just need a billionaire owner and a team name.

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmacm View Post
I think MLB in Vancouver will eventually happen (and I would very much like to see it happen), but it has a long way to go. There are a lot of cities that are making actual efforts right now to secure future teams or a relocated franchise, including Montreal, Nashville, and Portland, which is something Vancouver is not really doing. It was interesting to see that news back last year about the Diamondbacks looking into BC Place as a backup venue in case Chase Field were to have an issue, but I find the notion of the Diamondbacks relocating to Vancouver unlikely, as I think they are more likely to settle for something like Las Vegas.

The Athletics are an interesting opportunity, but I really think they will end up going to Portland. The discussion is definitely worth having, though. It seems like the big-4 leagues are definitely warming up to the idea of Canada again these days, and especially with what is happening with the Rays/Montreal, it's not out of the question that a team might want to relocate to Vancouver.

Vancouver and the BC media market as a whole are capable of supporting another big-4 team and the case for it will only be made stronger as the Lower Mainland grows in population, but I don't know if it will be baseball. I think efforts are best focused right now on bringing the NBA back to Vancouver. That, to me at least, seems much more achievable.
Until there are a lot more international players, the NBA will never work in Vancouver. Not because the city won't support the team, but because the team won't support the city. The American players don't like it here, and if they aren't happy with their situation, they will sabotage the team. So we will be a bad team year after year after year, until they get moved again.

Vancouver is a baseball city, and the hockey season and baseball season play well of each other Got to build a AAA stadium that is upgradeable to MLB standards. That's the only path that I see working. A billion dollar MLB stadium built from scratch would be seen as too risky for anybody to build here.

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 3:03 AM

If anything, we're a football city - plenty of NFL fans no matter how much the Lions suck.

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 3:06 AM

I'd say we are a pretty good baseball city. 20 000 fans at T Mobile is strong evidence of that.

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 3:34 AM

I believe T-Mobile is the Mariners stadium. If we're talking Vancouverites in Seattle, the Seahawks average 60-70k, thrice that amount; if not, Nat Bailey averages 6k.

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 5:45 AM

The only way you make it work is with a billionaire local owner with money to burn.

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 2:33 AM

For those scoring at home Forbes is listing Vancouver’s chances at landing the A’s at 14-1

Old Posted May 21, 2021, 7:30 AM

From Global News’ Richard Zussman:

B.C. premier throws support behind possible major league baseball team in Vancouver

“B.C. Premier John Horgan says he is “one hundred per cent” behind the idea of a major league baseball team coming to Vancouver.”

Now, of course, we need to discuss a whole bunch of other issues before we get a ball thrown and a bat swung, but if there was a prospect of bringing MLB to Vancouver I would be right behind that and I know Minister (Melanie) Mark would be very enthusiastic as well.”

Old Posted May 21, 2021, 7:43 AM

Next he's going to say he'll be the first in line to buy a season ticket.

Old Posted May 21, 2021, 10:23 AM

Unless he's going to buy the team and the stadium too, he'll be waiting for that ticket a very long while...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation