HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 8:50 PM

U.S. News & World Report 2018 Best Places to Live

I found this list not too terribly surprising. You have to understand that this list is made up of numerical data which can tell a skewed story.

Huntsville over Nashville??? Really?

Fayetteville, AR really be compared with Austin or DC?

Birmingham #95? I know you have to go by the numbers here, but wow. I guess its low education, high crime, and poor job performance really hurt us.

I was also very surprised to see Nashville's Healthcare jobs so much greater than Bhams. I'm used to hearing about how great Bham's Healthcare job market is. By the numbers, Nashville has 120k Healthcare jobs, while Bham has about 64k. This would make sense if the population of Nashville were double, but that's not the case. I'm just so used to hearing Birmingham tout it's booming Healthcare industry as if it's a national leader.

Rank City
1 Austin, TX
2 Colorado Springs, CO
3 Denver, CO
4 Des Moines, IA
5 Fayetteville, AR
6 Portland, OR
7 Huntsville, AL
8 Washington, DC
9 Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
10 Seattle, WA
11 Nashville, TN
12 Grand Rapids, MI
13 Raleigh & Durham, NC
14 San Antonio, TX
15 Salt Lake City, UT
16 Madison, WI
17 San Jose, CA
18 Dallas-Fort Worth, TX
19 Phoenix, AZ
20 San Francisco, CA
21 Lexington-Fayette, KY
22 Charlotte, NC
23 Boise, ID
24 Asheville, NC
25 Boston, MA
26 Houston, TX
27 Portland, ME
28 Omaha, NE
29 Melbourne, FL
30 San Diego, CA
31 Greenville, SC
32 Lancaster, PA
33 Reno, NV
34 Sarasota, FL
35 Honolulu, HI
36 Columbus, OH
37 Manchester, NH
38 Charleston, SC
39 Albany, NY
40 Fort Wayne, IN
41 Fort Myers, FL
42 Anchorage, AK
43 Winston-Salem, NC
44 Jacksonville, FL
45 Harrisburg, PA
46 Hartford, CT
47 Atlanta, GA
48 Syracuse, NY
49 Cincinnati, OH
50 Lansing, MI
51 Rochester, NY
52 Buffalo, NY
53 Pensacola, FL
54 Richmond, VA
55 Indianapolis, IN
56 Columbia, SC
57 Pittsburgh, PA
58 Kansas City, MO
59 Springfield, MA
60 Louisville, KY
61 Worcester, MA
62 Oklahoma City, OK
63 Knoxville, TN
64 Little Rock, AR
65 Springfield, MO
66 Tucson, AZ
67 Santa Barbara, CA
68 Spokane, WA
69 Milwaukee, WI
70 Lakeland, FL
71 Chattanooga, TN
72 Reading, PA
73 Myrtle Beach, SC
74 Tampa, FL
75 Augusta, GA
76 Santa Rosa, CA
77 Orlando, FL
78 Port St. Lucie, FL
79 Las Vegas, NV
80 Wichita, KS
81 Dayton, OH
82 Baltimore, MD
83 Tulsa, OK
84 York, PA
85 Detroit, MI
86 Chicago, IL
87 New Haven, CT
88 St. Louis, MO
89 Killeen, TX
90 Providence, RI
91 Sacramento, CA
92 Salem, OR
93 Daytona Beach, FL
94 Birmingham, AL
95 Allentown, PA
96 Philadelphia, PA
97 Virginia Beach, VA
98 Baton Rouge, LA

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 9:03 PM
The Salty Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackofalltrades View Post
I'm used to hearing about how great Bham's Healthcare job market is. By the numbers, Nashville has 120k Healthcare jobs, while Bham has about 64k. This would make sense if the population of Nashville were double, but that's not the case. I'm just so used to hearing Birmingham tout it's booming Healthcare industry as if it's a national leader.
I guess if we count every lab tech, orderly and LPNs the same as every researcher and surgeon in the top of his or her field it would make sense to consider the total number of jobs as the only metric worth exploring. If the rhetoric of everyone constantly being in your face touting how great Birmingham's booming healthcare industry is as being the best of the best is getting you down, you could probably take a close look at maybe why they are saying it instead of looking at just the total number of jobs. Then you'll really have something to shut them up about.

Last edited by Tourian; Apr 11, 2018 at 9:17 PM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I guess if we count every lab tech, orderly and LPNs the same as every researcher and surgeon in the top of his or her field it would make sense to consider the total number of jobs as the only metric worth exploring. If the rhetoric of everyone constantly being in your face touting how great Birmingham's booming healthcare industry is as being the best of the best is getting you down, you could probably take a close look at maybe why they are saying it instead of looking at just the total number of jobs. Then you'll really have something to shut them up about.
Of course I considered that but I didn't know the answer. Please tell me the number differentiation of high level researchers and surgeons in each city. Glad someone here knows the answer to that.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 10:20 PM
The Salty Ham

Quote:
Of course I considered that but I didn't know the answer. Please tell me the number differentiation of high level researchers and surgeons in each city. Glad someone here knows the answer to that.
I never claimed to know, nor do I even care. It was just a reasonable suggestion considering my experience with the articles I've seen and read about the industry. It would be worth looking in to since you're being hounded by all these people boasting about the city being so fantastical. Get crackin' on that research and put them in their place like the pathetic homers they are.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 11:31 PM
Cat Enthusiast

The medical district surrounding Vanderbilt is right on par with UAB. That combined the population of the Nashville area would explain the difference in numbers. If you also consider Nashville is somewhat more isolated from larger cities than Birmingham, it makes sense that Nashville's med workforce is that much larger.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 3:16 PM

Quote:
I always just trusted it. When I read the BBJ or watched NBC13, you would think that Birmingham was the pinnacle of Healthcare in the US. I started paying attention to how many go to Vandy or Emory for specialty care or to Houston for cancer care.

I'm not sure how to measure this because stupid "lists" can be made of of many skewed stats but number of HC jobs is a strong indicator. Nashville has considerably more HC jobs even given it's population difference.

Usually, there's a strong correlation between the number of nurses or orderlys to the number of "experts" or surgeons.

Also, I just looked at HC companies headquarter'd in Nashville and had no idea it had so many. The fifth largest is considerably larger than Birmingham's largest (Healthsouth/Encompass).

I'm not saying this to bash Bham but crap, we're further behind than I thought since joining this forum. I still consider myself a homer, but I also want to play devil's advocate on here too because most of you seem in the know.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 9:30 PM
The Salty Ham

Quote:
When I read the BBJ or watched NBC13, you would think that Birmingham was the pinnacle of Healthcare in the US.
I've never gotten that impression from either of those sources. Maybe you got a couple of links ready to fire off from your clipboard you're ready to share if someone dares to suggest otherwise?

This should have just been another post in the discussion thread. Of course that's your decision and you can do whatever you want, I just don't buy the whole victim thing where you suddenly woke up and realized you were being lied to abut Bham's HC system by the media and just discovered that there was a much larger "peer" city out there with a metro area that practically owns the middle of an entire state to itself that has a larger number of jobs.

To me that's nothing surprising to learn at all.

That's like finding out that because Nashville has billions more restaurants like McDonald's, Waffle Houses and KFC's that Birmingham can't possibly claim a good food scene because there are SOOO many more places to get a 99c hamburger in middle Tennessee. And remember, saying we have a "good" food scene really means that I am claiming the Birmingham food scene is the best in the Universe.

Last edited by Tourian; Apr 12, 2018 at 9:41 PM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 3:02 PM

Quote:
I've never gotten that impression from either of those sources. Maybe you got a couple of links ready to fire off from your clipboard you're ready to share if someone dares to suggest otherwise?

This should have just been another post in the discussion thread. Of course that's your decision and you can do whatever you want, I just don't buy the whole victim thing where you suddenly woke up and realized you were being lied to abut Bham's HC system by the media and just discovered that there was a much larger "peer" city out there with a metro area that practically owns the middle of an entire state to itself that has a larger number of jobs.

To me that's nothing surprising to learn at all.

That's like finding out that because Nashville has billions more restaurants like McDonald's, Waffle Houses and KFC's that Birmingham can't possibly claim a good food scene because there are SOOO many more places to get a 99c hamburger in middle Tennessee. And remember, saying we have a "good" food scene really means that I am claiming the Birmingham food scene is the best in the Universe.

Mmmk? Do you read the BBJ? Apparently not. You find things hard to believe that are realities to many people every day.

I looked at several sources about HC information and Birmingham was rarely mentioned. It's just not the powerhouse I feel like I was told.

I read your other posts and I see now that you're a Birmingham Booster (or so others have called you), that makes more sense.

Don't get me started on the food. I do travel for my job and I can tell you that Birmingham might have a good food scene for it's size but it doesn't compete with big cities by a wide margin. Also, if it weren't for the, IMO overrated, Highlands, Bham would rarely make a food list.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 6:35 PM
The Salty Ham

Quote:
Mmmk? Do you read the BBJ? Apparently not. You find things hard to believe that are realities to many people every day.
I do, that's why I asked you to point out an article that makes the claims you say they do, but instead more talk. That's cool.

Quote:
I looked at several sources about HC information and Birmingham was rarely mentioned. It's just not the powerhouse I feel like I was told.
So you say. I don't know what you were told, but it seems to me you read into and project things that aren't there.

Quote:
I read your other posts and I see now that you're a Birmingham Booster (or so others have called you), that makes more sense.
Cool, thanks for the insight random internet stranger.

Quote:
Don't get me started on the food. I do travel for my job and I can tell you that Birmingham might have a good food scene for it's size but it doesn't compete with big cities by a wide margin. Also, if it weren't for the, IMO overrated, Highlands, Bham would rarely make a food list.
Right, I was so worried that I'd get you started on something else to complain about. Glad I dodge a bullet there. Maybe that's worth another thread later when a new listicle comes out that you disagree with?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 3:01 PM

Quote:
I do, that's why I asked you to point out an article that makes the claims you say they do, but instead more talk. That's cool.

So you say. I don't know what you were told, but it seems to me you read into and project things that aren't there.

Cool, thanks for the insight random internet stranger.

Right, I was so worried that I'd get you started on something else to complain about. Glad I dodge a bullet there. Maybe that's worth another thread later when a new listicle comes out that you disagree with?

I'm going to start ignoring you because it's quite obvious that you're just here to smoosh anyone with a less than stellar opinion of Birmingham.

I'll start over, I'm very surprised to see Birmingham be so far behind in Healthcare jobs because I always heard of NBA players coming to town for knee surgery and that story is quickly followed by something like "yeah UAB is like one of the best hospitals and schools in the nation."

Now I realize, that is a VERY vague statement... "One of" could mean one area is in the top 20.

The point is, I certainly don't think that Birmingham should tout its healthcare industry as "vibrant" or a bragging right when being compared to other cities.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 3:19 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
I'm going to start ignoring you because it's quite obvious that you're just here to smoosh anyone with a less than stellar opinion of Birmingham.

I'll start over, I'm very surprised to see Birmingham be so far behind in Healthcare jobs because I always heard of NBA players coming to town for knee surgery and that story is quickly followed by something like "yeah UAB is like one of the best hospitals and schools in the nation."

Now I realize, that is a VERY vague statement... "One of" could mean one area is in the top 20.

The point is, I certainly don't think that Birmingham should tout its healthcare industry as "vibrant" or a bragging right when being compared to other cities.
UAB actually has multiple disciplines in the top 20. It actually is a very prominent player in the medical world. US News & World Report puts these disciplines in the top 50: Rheumatology (10), Nephrology (14), Pulmonology (17), Urology (20), Diabetes and Endocrinology (21), Gynecology (26), Cardiology and Heart Surgery (30), Neurology and Neurosurgery (34), Geriatrics (47), and Ear, Nose and Throat (50).

EDIT: I'll also add that Children's of Alabama is the third largest children's hospital in the country. So it isn't like Birmingham is running some kind of underground, low-key operation.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
UAB actually has multiple disciplines in the top 20. It actually is a very prominent player in the medical world. US News & World Report puts these disciplines in the top 50: Rheumatology (10), Nephrology (14), Pulmonology (17), Urology (20), Diabetes and Endocrinology (21), Gynecology (26), Cardiology and Heart Surgery (30), Neurology and Neurosurgery (34), Geriatrics (47), and Ear, Nose and Throat (50).
There's no doubt part of this good, but is it really that great? Is being number 30 in Cardio and Heart Surgery good? That means UAB is number 30th on my list of places to go for heart surgery. If I need an ENT, there are 50 places better to go. That's kinda like saying, every state has somewhere better than UAB for an ENT procedure.

What I see here, is there are MANY better options and that being ranked by US news and world report should hold little weight.

For instance, look at the list I shared. Do I really think Bham should rank behind Fayetteville, AR? Heck no!

I have no idea what kind of hocus pocus they use to rank how good a hospital is but it has to be based on something quite unsubstantial. My point is this, Bham boosters tout their healthcare industry as if it's somewhere you should totally go if you want to do well in HC.. Perhaps you can do fine in HC there, but there are so many better places to go to flourish in the HC industry.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 4:02 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
There's no doubt part of this good, but is it really that great? Is being number 30 in Cardio and Heart Surgery good? That means UAB is number 30th on my list of places to go for heart surgery. If I need an ENT, there are 50 places better to go. That's kinda like saying, every state has somewhere better than UAB for an ENT procedure.

What I see here, is there are MANY better options and that being ranked by US news and world report should hold little weight.

For instance, look at the list I shared. Do I really think Bham should rank behind Fayetteville, AR? Heck no!

I have no idea what kind of hocus pocus they use to rank how good a hospital is but it has to be based on something quite unsubstantial. My point is this, Bham boosters tout their healthcare industry as if it's somewhere you should totally go if you want to do well in HC.. Perhaps you can do fine in HC there, but there are so many better places to go to flourish in the HC industry.
I think we all know very well that the city has a lot of work to do to be a place where everyone can succeed and flourish. But, our issues are not unique. Absolutely no one is saying the city is perfect, and you seem to be jumping down the throat of anyone who finds something positive about the city.

Did you sign up in this forum for the sole purpose of crapping all over Birmingham? Because if that's the case, we already have plenty of people in this forum who like to do that.

BTW, your ENT example is completely absurd. It's more like there are 5 place in NYC that are better, 4 that are better in LA, 6 that are better in Houston, 2 that are better in DC, 3 that are better in Baltimore, 4 that are better in Chicago, and so on and so on. I doubt you'll find an ENT in the Dakota's or Montana that's better than what we have here in town...

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 6:34 PM

Quote:
I found this list not too terribly surprising. You have to understand that this list is made up of numerical data which can tell a skewed story.

Huntsville over Nashville??? Really?

Fayetteville, AR really be compared with Austin or DC?

Birmingham #95? I know you have to go by the numbers here, but wow. I guess its low education, high crime, and poor job performance really hurt us.

I was also very surprised to see Nashville's Healthcare jobs so much greater than Bhams. I'm used to hearing about how great Bham's Healthcare job market is. By the numbers, Nashville has 120k Healthcare jobs, while Bham has about 64k. This would make sense if the population of Nashville were double, but that's not the case. I'm just so used to hearing Birmingham tout it's booming Healthcare industry as if it's a national leader.

Rank City
1 Austin, TX
2 Colorado Springs, CO
3 Denver, CO
4 Des Moines, IA
5 Fayetteville, AR
6 Portland, OR
7 Huntsville, AL
8 Washington, DC
9 Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
10 Seattle, WA
11 Nashville, TN
12 Grand Rapids, MI
13 Raleigh & Durham, NC
14 San Antonio, TX
15 Salt Lake City, UT
16 Madison, WI
17 San Jose, CA
18 Dallas-Fort Worth, TX
19 Phoenix, AZ
20 San Francisco, CA
21 Lexington-Fayette, KY
22 Charlotte, NC
23 Boise, ID
24 Asheville, NC
25 Boston, MA
26 Houston, TX
27 Portland, ME
28 Omaha, NE
29 Melbourne, FL
30 San Diego, CA
31 Greenville, SC
32 Lancaster, PA
33 Reno, NV
34 Sarasota, FL
35 Honolulu, HI
36 Columbus, OH
37 Manchester, NH
38 Charleston, SC
39 Albany, NY
40 Fort Wayne, IN
41 Fort Myers, FL
42 Anchorage, AK
43 Winston-Salem, NC
44 Jacksonville, FL
45 Harrisburg, PA
46 Hartford, CT
47 Atlanta, GA
48 Syracuse, NY
49 Cincinnati, OH
50 Lansing, MI
51 Rochester, NY
52 Buffalo, NY
53 Pensacola, FL
54 Richmond, VA
55 Indianapolis, IN
56 Columbia, SC
57 Pittsburgh, PA
58 Kansas City, MO
59 Springfield, MA
60 Louisville, KY
61 Worcester, MA
62 Oklahoma City, OK
63 Knoxville, TN
64 Little Rock, AR
65 Springfield, MO
66 Tucson, AZ
67 Santa Barbara, CA
68 Spokane, WA
69 Milwaukee, WI
70 Lakeland, FL
71 Chattanooga, TN
72 Reading, PA
73 Myrtle Beach, SC
74 Tampa, FL
75 Augusta, GA
76 Santa Rosa, CA
77 Orlando, FL
78 Port St. Lucie, FL
79 Las Vegas, NV
80 Wichita, KS
81 Dayton, OH
82 Baltimore, MD
83 Tulsa, OK
84 York, PA
85 Detroit, MI
86 Chicago, IL
87 New Haven, CT
88 St. Louis, MO
89 Killeen, TX
90 Providence, RI
91 Sacramento, CA
92 Salem, OR
93 Daytona Beach, FL
94 Birmingham, AL
95 Allentown, PA
96 Philadelphia, PA
97 Virginia Beach, VA
98 Baton Rouge, LA
They always seem to say Fayetteville but it's the Two Countis in totality. And...Yes, it's booming up here. Bike trails galore, tons of hiking and outdoor activities surrounding the place, ect, ect, ect.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 9:04 PM
Nashville born and raised

Just for the record, Nashville is a national center for health care related industries.....From something called the Health Care Council...

Quote:
Nashville is home to a diverse health care cluster with leaders in a number of industry niches that impact the health care landscape locally, nationally and internationally.

>The Nashville health care industry contributes an overall economic benefit of $38.8 billion and more than 250,000 jobs to the local economy annually.
Globally, Nashville’s health care industry generates more than $84 billion in revenue and more than 500,000 jobs.

>Nearly 400 health care companies have operations in Nashville and work on a multistate, national or international basis. Nashville is also home to more than 400 professional service firms (e.g., accounting, architecture, finance, legal) that provide expertise in the health care industry.

>Eighteen publicly traded health care companies are located in Nashville. HCA’s 2011 return to Wall Street marked the largest-ever U.S. private equity-backed public offering.

>A survey of Nashville Health Care Council member CEOs shows great confidence in the Nashville market; 95 percent indicated that a Nashville headquarters location is important to their company’s positive performance.

>More than $1.6 billion in venture capital was invested in Nashville health care companies from 2005-2015.
Nashville is to Health Care what Detroit is to automobiles or San Jose is to computers.

Some recent health care industry building news;

Just trying to set the record straight on Nashville's national importance in the healthcare industry. (It is HUGE!)

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast