HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
I think you're off by one block that looks more like Alameda st.

https://goo.gl/maps/oBKEorWoGNueQXJJ7

Concur, badrunner. I should've noticed the lack of overhead wire supports on what I thought was the PE. So we're looking at the SP San Pedro Branch instead.My bad, thanks for the correction!

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:34 PM

David, here's the link to the 1940 aerial of Burbank, courtesy of HossC. (the map will automatically download to your computer)

I am also intrigued by those fields. They look like they might be test plots. . .or perhaps a commercial flower grower. Do you know if there was a nursery nearby back then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC
It was great to hear from you. I still go back and look at your past posts. They have withheld the test of time. (and all your photographs are still up and running)

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Yesterday at 10:52 PM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
What caught my attention was. . ."Not a Motion Picture."

L.A. Herald Dec. 16, 1916

Whoa! 100 People...100 Horses, Camels, Arabs.

Steep prices for the time, too, from 50 cents to $2. Considering you could get a whole dinner for 10 cents!

I base that on a scene from Easter Parade which takes place in 1912. Judy wants to know what her bill is and the waiter says, "Let's see...roast beef, pie, coffee...that'll be ten cents."

The Arabs get third billing after the horses and camels.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3940dxer View Post

ER, when I saw the aerial you posted I was looking for something else...my house on Niagara St., where I've live since '81. It was built in '29 and I think I spotted it after downloading and enlarging your image.

Where did you grab that from? I've seen old aerials of Burbank that showed my neighborhood before, but none this sharp. Maybe if I go to your source I can zoom in further and see it more clearly.

Niagara Street is lined with very large pine trees on both sides and even in this old image, they are quite obvious. My house is now the seventh one south where my block ends, on Verdugo. I believe that Niagara was one of the first residential streets to be developed in this part of Burbank.
You can see my link to the original image in e_r's post above.

The same site also has a view from January 2, 1928, which I believe is a year before your house was built. Here's a close-up of your block (lightened a little for clarity). I wonder when the pines were planted.

mil.library.ucsb.edu

Old Posted Today, 12:05 AM

Disney and St. Joe

[QUOTE=Arch2000;8771237]If you think Disney is small, extend your aerial a bit (if you can), and look at Universal next to WB. Both WB and Disney would fit in their property a few times over.

[QUOTE=ethereal_reality;8772903]David, here's the link to the 1940 aerial of Burbank, courtesy of HossC. (the map will automatically download to your computer)

I am also intrigued by those fields. They look like they might be test plots. . .or perhaps a commercial flower grower. Do you know if there was a nursery nearby back then?

Just above (north?) of Disney’s is St. Joseph (Providence) hospital. Across Buena Vista.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos