HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 8:04 PM

The people at the table behind us scammed the server, we could hear the whole discussion and what they were saying when the server wasn't there and they were clearly trying to get their food free.

They ordered a sandwich and they split it. They then complained about everything from the sandwich to the service until the server comp'd their food. They'd clearly done it before. But it was a sunday and they were talking about what was going on at church. I think they even prayed. Christian scammers.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 8:08 PM

Cadillac Fairview Unveils CF Toronto Eaton Centre Skybridge Details [Renderings/Plans]

Cadillac Fairview has unveiled its plans for a stunning new pedestrian bridge that will link CF Toronto Eaton Centre to the Hudson’s Bay/Saks Fifth Avenue flagship, over busy Queen Street West. Construction begins this month and is expected to be completed by September of this year.

http://www.retail-insider.com/retail...4/cf-skybridge

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
A question for west coasters: does BC based Viberg boot have their own stores?
No

Old Posted Apr 17, 2017, 12:04 AM

I like the new Skywalk over Queen on its own, just doesn't go with the historic HBC store IMHO.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2017, 2:08 AM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
The people at the table behind us scammed the server, we could hear the whole discussion and what they were saying when the server wasn't there and they were clearly trying to get their food free.

They ordered a sandwich and they split it. They then complained about everything from the sandwich to the service until the server comp'd their food. They'd clearly done it before. But it was a sunday and they were talking about what was going on at church. I think they even prayed. Christian scammers.

That wasn't me.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2017, 2:13 AM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I like the new Skywalk over Queen on its own, just doesn't go with the historic HBC store IMHO.
No skywalk would be better for both sides. The Eaton Centre entrance is completely invisible and I doubt that will be properly addressed with another skywalk.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 3:15 AM

Bebe to Close All Canadian Stores

San Francisco-based women’s fashion brand Bebe is closing all of its store locations, including eight units in Canada. The company will continue operating as an online-only retailer. Bebe has signed a deal with liquidator Tiger Capital Group to sell all of its remaining inventory, and all stores will shutter before the end of May.

Bebe originally announced that it would close just 21 of its stores, following four years of losses amounting to about US $200 million. The company is reportedly mulling bankruptcy if it can’t get out of its leases.

The fashion brand was founded in 1976 by Manny Mashouf, an Iranian immigrant who has made a fortune in retail. His first Bebe location opened in San Francisco 40 years ago, and the chain grew to more than 175 stores globally. Of those, Canada is home to six full-priced Bebe stores and two Bebe outlets.

Bebe’s Canadian stores are in some of the country’s most productive malls. Locations confirmed to be closing include units at Toronto’s Yorkdale Shopping Centre, Square One in Mississauga, CF Chinook Centre in Calgary, West Edmonton Mall in Edmonton, Metropolis at Metrotown in Burnaby and at CF Pacific Centre in Vancouver. All six malls ranked highly in Retail Council of Canada’s Shopping Centre Study, which also noted that these are among the country’s largest and busiest malls. Bebe outlet locations confirmed to be closing include Vaughan Mills north of Toronto, and at Outlet Collection at Niagara in Niagara-on-the-Lake.

http://www.retail-insider.com/retail...er/2017/4/bebe

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 4:43 AM

Albertsons is looking at buying Whole Foods. I wonder how this will affect the Canadian Locations.

This Mainstream Supermarket Wants to Buy Whole Foods

If grocery chain Albertsons has its way, it'll be adding a fancier supermarket to its roster: Whole Foods. According to the Financial Times, the private equity firm that owns Albertsons is looking to acquire the Austin-based upscale grocer, known for retailing organic and natural products.

The Financial Times reports, citing anonymous sources, that Cerberus Capital Management is in discussions with bankers to place an offer on Whole Foods. Bloomberg previously reported that Boise-based Albertsons — which owns retailers around the country like Acme, Safeway, Shaw's, and Jewel-Osco — was in the market for an organic grocery store, as it was talking to Sprouts Farmers Market.

The bid on Whole Foods is not entirely out of the blue or unsolicited. Earlier this month, it was reported that the second-largest shareholder in the chain, Jana Partners, is looking to see how much bidders are willing to shell out for acquiring Whole Foods. The hedge fund has a 8.8 percent stake in the company.

http://www.thekitchn.com/this-mainst...e-foods-245241

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 8:24 AM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Yonge Street Hard Rock Cafe to be Replaced with Flagship Shoppers Drug Mart
March 13, 2017

The iconic Hard Rock Cafe at 279 Yonge Street in downtown Toronto has been leased to Shoppers Drug Mart, according to sources. It’s the first time in over 35 years that the retail space has been available for lease.

The 22,000 square foot multi-level retail space has considerable exposure on busy Yonge-Dundas Square, which many consider to be Toronto’s answer to New York City’s Times Square. According to CBRE marketing materials, the site offers exposure to over 60 million potential customers, annually.

A source says that the landlord wished to lease the space to one large tenant, hence why it chose Shoppers Drug Mart rather than divide the space for multiple smaller tenants. Hard Rock Cafe is said to be looking for a new space in Toronto’s core, which has been met with some challenges.

http://www.retail-insider.com/retail...ard-rock-yonge
Looks like they are doing a Massive LED sign upgrade before they get their new tenants.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 8:37 PM

JYSK Announces 6 Canadian Stores for 2017

Quote:
The new Canadian stores will be in Ontario, Quebec, British Columbia and Manitoba, including the following:

May 2017, Hamilton, ON – South Hamilton Square

June 2017, Brossard, QC – Greenfield Park, Mail Carnaval

June 2017, Laval, QC – Mega Centre Notre Dame

July 2017 — Sherbrooke, QB

August 2017 — Duncan, BC, and

October 2017 — Brampton, Shoppers World
http://www.retail-insider.com/retail...er/2017/4/jysk

Old Posted May 1, 2017, 4:21 PM

Quote:
JYSK Announces 6 Canadian Stores for 2017

http://www.retail-insider.com/retail...er/2017/4/jysk
Funny that they don't mention the Manitoba site, or did Brandon (the most logical place in Manitoba for a new JYSK) somehow become Brampton?

Old Posted May 1, 2017, 7:55 PM

just opened in vancouver, they have been selling out everyday

Video Link

Old Posted May 1, 2017, 8:20 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Interesting trend of these Parisian/French types of chains opening their first Canadian or NA locations in Vancouver. I wonder what's behind that, aside from the sheer awesomeness of Vancouver of course.

Old Posted May 1, 2017, 8:27 PM
I am the law!

Real housewives of Vancouver?

Old Posted May 1, 2017, 8:32 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Real housewives of Vancouver?
A high amount of untapped market potential (relative to other cities), I'd suspect.

Old Posted May 1, 2017, 8:40 PM

I've noticed in my travels through the years that French-style baking is popular in Asia... I'd imagine that has some impact when it comes to Vancouver.

Old Posted May 1, 2017, 8:42 PM

yeah most of these places have stores in Hong Kong so a lot of people in Vancouver are aware of the brands hence the pent up demand for uniqlo and muji, amongst my chinese friends its quite the topic that they are finally opening here

Old Posted May 1, 2017, 8:49 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Good points. I was actually thinking of that.

French + luxury is a popular mix among the well-to-do in Asia.

Old Posted May 1, 2017, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Good points. I was actually thinking of that.

French + luxury is a popular mix among the well-to-do in Asia.
Ha... reminds me of an article I read about growing Chinese tourism in France. If you've been to Asia you'll know how France and Paris in particular are invoked as bywords for sophistication and high culture. You see that imagery everywhere.

Anyway, the article mentioned how shocked some first time Chinese visitors were to stumble upon the real world Paris of noisy streets, shifty people and dogshit everywhere. Even with all that Paris is still one of the most charming places on Earth, but I suppose like so many other things, it falls a bit short of its idealized image.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 9:29 PM

more prime space coming to some malls near you

U.S. fashion chain Express to shut all 17 stores in Canada

Express has 650 locations in the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico, but will close all 17 of its Canadian stores starting this month. (Mark Kauzlarich/Bloomberg)

American-based clothing chain Express plans to close all 17 of its stores in Canada and discontinue its Canadian operations.

The Ohio-based chain sells men's and women's clothing and currently has 650 stores in the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico. It had more than $2 billion US in sales last year.

The chain announced Thursday that it will close all of its Canadian locations as part of a restructuring, and has filed for protection from its creditors under the Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act — Canada's version of Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings in the U.S.

All in, the Canadian locations employ 340 people at its stores in Ontario, British Columbia and Alberta. The chain set up shop north of the border in 2011 and at the time said it planned to expand to as many as 50 stores.

But "the challenging Canadian retail environment, coupled with unfavourable exchange rates, prevented us from meeting the expectations we had when we entered the market in 2011," CEO David Kornberg said in a release.

ANALYSIS: Why middle class retailers are dying a slow death
In court filings, the company estimates it has lost $56 million US in Canada since it launched.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/expr...099543?cmp=rss

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada