HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The St. Regis Toronto & Residences in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Toronto Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Toronto Forum   • Toronto Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 8:30 PM
gettin' rich!

Another one of my cellphone captures.

Trump Tower Brings Dubai To Toronto

Last edited by caltrane74; Aug 27, 2012 at 4:20 PM.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 4:08 AM

Every side of this building has a different look. I love it.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 5:22 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ You're right. It has 4 distinct looks, depending on your angle of view:

1. Meh
2. Not bad, but could be a LOT better
3. Oh, that's awkward
4. What the hell were they thinking?
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 6:34 PM

^You're being quite charitable with #2

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 7:10 PM

If the "indent" at the top southwest corner of the tower was an actual setback as originally planned, the tower would have looked much, much better from the west and south, which also happen to be the most prominent views of the tower.

But what is architecture worth when you can stuff in another dozen or so units' worth of floor space and pocket several million dollars?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2012, 6:30 AM

The renders may have held more promise, but the biggest downer for me was the height reduction. A taller version of the current edition would have been perfectly fine, in my opinion.

Again, I have seen nothing like it anywhere and we FINALLY get something other than a box as a finished product. I hope this tower will inspire more creative thinking in future talls. I think it is going to look amazing when they turn the night lights on.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2012, 5:06 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

I don't mind how it looks nearly as much as everyone else does, but I totally agree it could have been much better. And I am VERY glad it didn't break the thousand foot mark as originally intended, that would have been a travesty of the first magnitude if Trump had been the first Canadian supertall.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2012, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
I don't mind how it looks nearly as much as everyone else does, but I totally agree it could have been much better. And I am VERY glad it didn't break the thousand foot mark as originally intended, that would have been a travesty of the first magnitude if Trump had been the first Canadian supertall.
Agreed. I hope the first Canadian supertall will have a Canadian company's logo on it.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2012, 10:06 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrumYid View Post
Agreed. I hope the first Canadian supertall will have a Canadian company's logo on it.
Barrick, Inco, Manulife, Thomson-Reuters, perhaps even the much hated Rogers could be a lead tenant.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2012, 10:29 PM
New Brunswick booster!

So, I was on Google maps today and was looking over Toronto and noticed an orange dot over Trump Toronto, I put the little street view man over it and it placed me in the lobby of Trump! It was just like street view, but inside a building! It is like that all over Toronto now! Crazy!!!!!!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2012, 10:33 PM
Khurram Parvaz

^ It's ALSO in NYC but on one place on the map, the Museum of Modern Art.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2012, 4:29 AM
Come As You Are

Why, oh why, did they build this? It takes away so much from the beautiful FCP and the Scotia bank tower. But then again, so do all the other crappy postmodernist glass condos sprouting up everywhere in Toronto.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2012, 4:51 AM
Khurram Parvaz

^ You gotta expand and build, at all costs.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 7:24 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Why, oh why, did they build this? It takes away so much from the beautiful FCP and the Scotia bank tower. But then again, so do all the other crappy postmodernist glass condos sprouting up everywhere in Toronto.
When they build this much, it just blends.

I'm happier with them, than without them. It means more people downtown, and that is the number 1 point, for building a truely global city.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
When they build this much, it just blends.

I'm happier with them, than without them.
Totally agree. I really like the wall of condos along the Gardiner.
And, as much as I dislike the top of Trump, I would rather have Trump as is, than not have it all. Yes it pains me to say that, but that's just the way it is.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 10:06 PM
gettin' rich!

Can't have a city without people. If I wanted a city of parking lots, .... I'd move to <---insertcitynamehere--->

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 1:27 AM

Anyone willing to post a few pictures of the finished product?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 4:20 PM
gettin' rich!

I'll search around and see if I can find something for you...

Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 3:45 PM

Trump Tower developer suing 7 disgruntled investors to close deals they now regret

Read More: http://www.thestar.com/business/arti...hey-now-regret

Quote:
Developers of Toronto’s Trump International Hotel & Tower have launched lawsuits against seven investors in an effort to force them to close on deals for condo-hotel suites some claim haven’t turned out to be the Hollywood gold buyers were expecting.

The legal move by Talon International Inc. comes at the same time that a London, Ont. doctor is seeking $750,000 in damages for “misrepresentation,” unless he can get back deposits on the hotel suite he bought in the ill-fated project back in 2009. The court wrangling is just the latest round of problems to curse the celebrity hotel and condo project at Bay and Adelaide Sts. Dozens of purchasers of suites in the 65-storey luxury hotel are now trying to get deposits back and renege on final payments averaging over $500,000. Other buyers, some too frightened of the legal ramifications to walk away from deals penned up to seven years ago, say they are finding themselves in a crippling Catch-22 — unable to sell the units or secure mortgages on balances due to Talon Nov. 29.

“One mortgage company asked me, ‘How could I give you a mortgage on a property that is losing money every single day?” said one devastated buyer, a blue-collar worker who borrowed the $175,000 down payment from his immigrant parents and owes $750,000 at month’s end. “It’s very scary,” says the GTA resident, one of about a dozen investors who spoke to The Star on condition their names not be used. Most were caught up in the get-rich-quick mentality of Toronto’s booming condo market and intended to flip the units or use them to generate retirement income. Talon has been facing an escalating buyer revolt since last February as the glitzy Trump Hotel set to open and buyers found out that maintenance fees, property taxes and other incidentals on the project’s 276 hotel-condo units had skyrocketed from Talon’s earlier projections.

Emergency doctor Ganesh Ram alleges in his lawsuit that his costs jumped 40 per cent, with property taxes alone (the hotel-condos are considered commercial rather than residential units) now at $30,000 a year. While revenues from the hotel were meant to more than offset those kind of costs, buyers say they’ve been told hotel occupancy is running anywhere from 10 to 50 per cent and room rates are averaging about $300 per night instead of the $600 and up Talon had originally touted. Based on the startling new numbers, buyers have alerted Talon they plan to rescind their deals, citing the fee hikes as a “material change” under the Condominium Act. Talon’s lawsuits, filed in Newmarket’s Ontario Superior Court of Justice in the summer, are seeking a declaration from the court that they aren’t a material change and that deals must stand. Talon refused to discuss details of the lawsuits. None of the buyers named in the suits would speak publicly.

Javad Heydary, centre, leads an eight-lawyer team including Min Kim, left, and Mitch Wine, right, who have been looking at the Trump deals on behalf of some investors.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 5:10 PM
gettin' rich!

Hard to feel sorry for a bunch of rich guys getting greedy.

Should have negotiated a better deal.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive