HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 9:41 AM

Gander Mountain is building a store on McFarland Blvd where Locklear Kia used to be (and apparantly Bear Bryant's automotive dealership before that.

Outdoors and firearms retailer Gander Mountain to open store in Tuscaloosa

Last edited by ttownfeen; Dec 28, 2012 at 9:53 AM.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 9:47 AM

Changes coming to site of McFarland Mall

Quote:
New restaurants, the demolition of Dillard's and a possible new site for Books-A-Million are some of the changes in the works at McFarland Mall, now dubbed Encore Tuscaloosa by its new owner, developer Stan Pate.

Cheddar's Casual Cafe, a Midwest-based restaurant franchise that's beginning its first forays into the southeastern and northeastern U.S., is planning for a late April opening.

Cheddars' nearly 8,000-square-foot building is under construction now and, once complete, the investment of more than $3 million will have a seating capacity of more than 275.

Demolition on the former Dillard's at McFarland Mall is planned to start in the coming weeks, and Pate said Dec. 21 that he was intending to sign that day a contract with Texas Roadhouse, a steak house restaurant chain with a Southwestern theme, for the development he purchased in May 2009.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2012, 7:09 AM
Cat Enthusiast

BTdubs, the condos on the river are pretty much finished. Another Broken Egg, and Orange Leaf are open as far as I know. I like the whole development aside from the fact that it has a... quaint parking lot between the buildings and Jack Warner....

Also, the condo development at the corner of 21st and University is finished, and "Which Wich" sandwich place is currently under construction.

In other news, Gander Mountain is currently building a store in the lot north adjacent of the Waffle House on McFarland.

I'd tell you what is going on on 15th St, but most of it seems to be comprised of building mounds of dirt.....

OH! That whole "City Center" development at the corner of McFarland and.... well, that location where Hobby Lobby used to be... they're building a lot right now. One of the apartment buildings seems to be completed (as far as the primary structure goes) and I'm pretty sure there are supposed to be two or three more buildings accompanying it in the initial phase. (this is the place where there is supposed to be a Whole Foods being built).

ALSO, and this is important, no one has spoken about it, and I haven't seen anything about it in the news, but it appears that the city is linking together the sidewalks between the Tuscaloosa Public Library and the sidewalk that ends at that apartment community on the eastern side of some forested area that divides the library and that apartment community. A pedestrian bridge is under construction and it seems like you'll finally be able to walk along a sidewalk from the University to downtown ALONG Jack Warner (on the southern side of the parkway)!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 12:14 AM

Too bad, but I'm kinda glad. The plan for the hotel was so out-of-sync with the vibe of downtown Northport.

Plan to build Hampton Inn in Northport gets scrapped

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 4:05 AM

I'm glad the hotel fell through too. I just read the article you posted and the developer seemed to have an attitude towards the planners because he wanted them to submit to his plans instead of trying to work with them in order to retain the character of downtown Northport. Honestly I don't even think a major chain hotel is right for that area. If anything it would be more suited for a small boutique hotel.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 8:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttownfeen View Post
The deal to build a Embassy Suites hotel is basically completed.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/articl...9759?p=1&tc=pg
Construction bids for this go out February 12th.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 6:29 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Btw, I was on my way to Iguana Grill at Midtown and happened to gaze upon the future "Lofts at City Center" where Hobby Lobby and Chucky Cheese used to be.

I'm not much of a fan of these residential developer sites but WOW. Some views from Midtown... the place looks enormous.

So far, it looks like they've got a single phase of residential development done. That stuff is PACKED in, so I'm optimistic for future phases.

Looks like this summer will be the moment off truth.

Btw, a pedestrian bridge between the library, on Jack Warner, and some apartment complex (east bound) is complete.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 6:50 PM

Has there been any word on who will be signing retail leases at City Center?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 10:00 PM
Constant Vigilance!

I've heard they're coming along quite nicely with The Lofts. I follow Todd Media on facebook, which took this photo of the construction. (Btw, I suggest following them if you're interested in aerial photography of sites across the state)

Like this photo! It's humming along....

Courtesy of Todd Media, Inc

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 6:36 PM
Constant Vigilance!

In case it hasn't been seen: via Tuscaloosa News

This rendering shows Riverfront Village, a development that has been proposed for the corner of Greensboro Avenue and Jack Warner Parkway.
Atlanta Developer Has Plans For Old Chevrolet Site

"Two months ago, following approval of its third Tuscaloosa mixed-use development in 12 months, Chance Partners of Atlanta said it had a long-term vision for the downtown area.

Now, the company is seeking approval for its fourth — and most ambitious — project to date.

Chance Partners envisions a 206-unit, 216-bed development with an on-site, 450-space parking deck and almost 40,000 square feet of retail space.

An additional 134 parking spaces are set among the five-building site plan. None of the buildings would be above three stories."

I'm not sure how I feel about this possible development. On one side, I'm glad the company went back and tried a better feel for the site as opposed to it's previous renderings and plans, but at the same time. It is such a prime piece of property, it doesn't seem like a whole lot of infill that the property warrants. It'll be interesting to see how it these plans go forward.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 9:46 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder89 View Post
In case it hasn't been seen: via Tuscaloosa News

Atlanta Developer Has Plans For Old Chevrolet Site

"Two months ago, following approval of its third Tuscaloosa mixed-use development in 12 months, Chance Partners of Atlanta said it had a long-term vision for the downtown area.

Now, the company is seeking approval for its fourth — and most ambitious — project to date.

Chance Partners envisions a 206-unit, 216-bed development with an on-site, 450-space parking deck and almost 40,000 square feet of retail space.

An additional 134 parking spaces are set among the five-building site plan. None of the buildings would be above three stories."

I'm not sure how I feel about this possible development. On one side, I'm glad the company went back and tried a better feel for the site as opposed to it's previous renderings and plans, but at the same time. It is such a prime piece of property, it doesn't seem like a whole lot of infill that the property warrants. It'll be interesting to see how it these plans go forward.
I just wish this was going to be taller.... how much you wanna bet it's going to be built out of wood?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 2:58 PM
Constant Vigilance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattordici View Post
I just wish this was going to be taller.... how much you wanna bet it's going to be built out of wood?
More than likely it will be. It's such a shame if it comes to fruition the way it currently is. That's such a prime piece of land being on the river, close to downtown, and close to the amphitheater that I wish it was a little more 'flair' and less typical of a Tuscaloosa development, if that makes sense. At the very least, it should be 5 stories (which still isn't much but come on).

Beggars can't be choosers I guess, but...oh wait, the city of Tuscaloosa kind of can be. The city council needs to have the team (if they are desperately wanting that piece of land) to go back and incorporate some better, more urban ideas. Like I said, it is better than what was originally planned for the land, but still. There isn't much undeveloped land left in the downtown area without it being more costly to destroy and rebuild, that the city can easily command better ideas. Sorry, I'm starting to ramble on a bit.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 6:13 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder89 View Post
More than likely it will be. It's such a shame if it comes to fruition the way it currently is. That's such a prime piece of land being on the river, close to downtown, and close to the amphitheater that I wish it was a little more 'flair' and less typical of a Tuscaloosa development, if that makes sense. At the very least, it should be 5 stories (which still isn't much but come on).

Beggars can't be choosers I guess, but...oh wait, the city of Tuscaloosa kind of can be. The city council needs to have the team (if they are desperately wanting that piece of land) to go back and incorporate some better, more urban ideas. Like I said, it is better than what was originally planned for the land, but still. There isn't much undeveloped land left in the downtown area without it being more costly to destroy and rebuild, that the city can easily command better ideas. Sorry, I'm starting to ramble on a bit.
I completely agree.

It sounds like this is going to be nothing more than a (barely) taller Midtown...

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 3:54 AM
Constant Vigilance!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 8:48 PM

Not a good day for Tuscaloosa retail: both Gap in University Mall and Books-a-Million at Encore Tuscaloosa announced they are closing in the next month or so.

Gap to close store in mall on April 25

Books-A-Million to close Tuscaloosa store May 18

Old Posted Apr 7, 2013, 4:14 AM
Cat Enthusiast

That BAM has been in an awful location for the longest time. I'm confident BAM will open a new location in town within one of the many new developments. Considering the foot-traffic Barnes and Noble receives, it is certainly not out of the question to have a successful BAM+yomo in the same town.

Old Posted May 26, 2013, 2:18 PM

New shopping center planned for former Cedar Crest site

Quote:
It’s been more than two years since the deadly tornado of April 2011 all but erased the Cedar Crest neighborhood from the city landscape.

Now, the area is poised to return with a 257,000-square-foot shopping center.

According to a proposed site map unveiled at last week’s meeting of the city Planning and Zoning Commission, the project that is now called “Tidal Town” consists of a series of commercial structures, some of which are two stories, along with a parking deck surrounding a large, spacious parking lot. The development is bordered by McFarland Boulevard to the east, Dr. Edward Hillard Drive to the west and 13th Street East to the north and would be a neighbor to the new Krispy Kreme.

Alumni Development & Construction LLC of Maylene, and the land owner, Tuscaloosa-based H.A. Edwards Inc., are not yet responding to direct inquiries on the project, so there is not yet word on which retailers might occupy the buildings, the estimated investment or the possible construction timeline.

However, officials associated with the development said between six and eight stores and restaurants that are new to the Tuscaloosa market are expected to be part of the shopping center.

Old Posted May 26, 2013, 3:45 PM

I think this is great news. After the Lofts and this are completed, this area of Tuscaloosa will be really nice.

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 7:13 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttownfeen View Post
I'm really not a fan of "spacious" parking lots.... I like how Krispy Kreme and Full Moon are position; I hope this development will follow that pattern.

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 7:15 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Some updates from around town.

V Which Wich going in at Midtown V

V New condo/apartment development on Hackberry V

Aaaaaaaand once again, there were a mess of other photos that I took that never uploaded....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast