HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Ryugyong Hotel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Pyongyang Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 12:30 AM

Found some nicer ones on Flickr. The first one is the same as I posted from Wikipedia except it's the zoomed out view.

As you can tell from the second photo that crane is long gone, and it looks like they are preparing to put some sort of mast on the roof. Of course it's from last month so the mast could already be up there. We would need to wait till April 15th or Kim II-Sung's Birthday to get some more recent updates.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 1:03 AM
The World Is Welcome Here

So basically, whether it's a functional building or not, it's an absolute STUNNER in my opinion. It's utterly breathtaking now that it's clad.

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 1:14 AM

I'm no fan of North Korea, but I must say now that it's finally clad after all these years.... I like it quite a bit, just the pure mass of the thing is crazy.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 1:50 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

i wonder if they're gonna work on that base anytime soon.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
Ok, I must admit, thats pretty freakin sweet looking.
Yeah this thing's gonna look N-I-C-E.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 6:13 PM

Roadcruiser1 you need to credit the images you posted appropriately or they will be removed. . .

. . .

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 6:27 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Well now, who would have thought that this would have turned out so good? But, is it merely icing on a dog turd? What is inside? Inquiring minds want to know.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 6:52 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
Lots and lots of cameras, bugged rooms, and probably a political detractors prison on the first 20 floors, just a guess though.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 7:01 PM

Oh then it came from Flickr member Markpanama. Credits go to him which includes this image too.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 7:58 PM
on the south side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
This pic must've been taken during the morning rush hour.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 9:14 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^makes Seoul look positively deserted.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 4:26 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Any chance this tower will be honored as building of the year? Imagined the attention it would have gotten had it been built in a more modest city like NY, Chicago or Hong Kong?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 6:36 PM
Because I'm Clever!

^It's a curtain wall over an empty concrete structure. It's not really a building. People live and work in buildings. This is more like a glorified TV mast right now.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 7:25 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

^^^ Wasteful spending in North Korea sure goes far in that country.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
not gonna lie, this looks pretty nice and although this is a far away shot the quality looks pretty decent considering the circumstances. the monster i looked at when i was younger is gone. i'll always remember it though!

link
Distinct Soviet monumentality lives on. Remember the roots:

http://www.npointercos.jp/images/Mos...ssCRW_3762.jpg

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 7:56 PM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC4Life View Post
^^^ Wasteful spending in North Korea sure goes far in that country.
I never said "wasteful". I said it wasn't a building. No qualitative judgement was made beyond that.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR View Post
^It's a curtain wall over an empty concrete structure. It's not really a building. People live and work in buildings. This is more like a glorified TV mast right now.
It may not be a popular hotel or even a hotel at all, but where's your proof that it will remain empty? If occupancy is your qualifier for a building, is Detroit's Central Train Terminal not a building any more? You may claim that this new tower is not a building because it's unfit for inhabitation due to absence of HVAC systems and such, but then again, where's the proof to that? So far, it looks like any other construction site. Sure it's base is still barren, but so is 1WTC's base. I don't get your point.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 9:02 PM
Because I'm Clever!

I never said it wouldn't or couldn't be a building in the future. It just isn't one now. While I have a feeling it will remain that way (from what I understand a Telco funded the completion of the cladding in order to get permission to put the antenna on top, but like anything from the DPRK it's hard to substantiate) I will concede I have no firm proof, again because it's the DPRK.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 9:06 PM

1WTC is going to be occupied, and this is a TV mast that will not be occupied and made to look like a skyscraper people live and work in. Not sure how you dont see that. It is heavily repeated throughout the thread that this is a TV mast for an eqyptian corporation and not meant for occupation. Did you even look at the pictures before the cladding went on? There are no windows or openings besides the air vents. This is an attention grabber that people will not be able to come within 100 feet of.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 9:30 PM

It sure turned out hey! which remindes me, where are all the haters? haha they was wrong about this one. it looks like a real jewl now that its done.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive