HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Hell, you'd probably have to fill the entire 8.2 acre lot in order to do that, and I'm doubtful that even that is enough space.
Good point. I was thinking that they could do some combo of surface and garage, but I imagine the economy of scale when building a garage is good enough that it makes sense to simply build a bigger garage and put more (desirable) floor level retail in over stacking the retail a few floors up. I really hadn't put enough thought into that.
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 8:28 PM

Is there no site plan for this to see the parking?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Is there no site plan for this to see the parking?
They have not released a revised plan since they announced a change in overall design a few days ago. The old plan was pre-bust and doesn't make much sense today anyways.
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPhi View Post
They have not released a revised plan since they announced a change in overall design a few days ago. The old plan was pre-bust and doesn't make much sense today anyways.
Thanks, how many parking spots did the old plan have?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPhi View Post
Aside from a reduction in apartments (perhaps they were supposed to be condo's a long time ago), the plan is basically the same. Actually the fact that they reduced the number of apartments is a little bit of a head-scratcher since multifamily is flying off the rack right now. There's probably more demand for it now than there was when former plans were released. So I definitely wouldn't say the old plan was pre-bust and therefore does not make sense.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 9:04 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckman821 View Post
Aside from a reduction in apartments (perhaps they were supposed to be condo's a long time ago), the plan is basically the same. Actually the fact that they reduced the number of apartments is a little bit of a head-scratcher since multifamily is flying off the rack right now. There's probably more demand for it now than there was when former plans were released. So I definitely wouldn't say the old plan was pre-bust and therefore does not make sense.
^ They must be predicting a glut of apartments, especially with SoNo coming on the market.

But besides this, I don't see any other large residential development occurring nearby. All we do see is retail, retail, retail.

And that may ultimately be the kicker. With this turning into a giant big-box retail zone, it probably has limited appeal for residential. Of course, that all depends on your perspective. I for sure would love to be able to not only walk to all of these stores & nightclubs, but live across the street from a subway stop

Too bad so much of the retail in this area has been designed so poorly.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 12:42 AM
TL;DR

If it really had limited appeal for residential, Smithfield would not be rushing to get SoNo II built. Don't forget that townhouse development on the east side of Halsted...

I'm sure there will be some surface parking. Like most lifestyle centers, there will probably be a limited amount of street parking on the new streets running through the site. This can have, say, a 20 minute limit for people coming to get takeout.

I'm glad this is moving forward. New City is by far the most urban retail project goin on there right now, with buildings that frame the street, connections through the site, public space, and no surface lots.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 3:40 AM

We've talked a little about the Webster movie theaters and how they would be impacted by the New City multiplex. (I hope Webster gets shut down and they then redevelop that mall/superblock, because it's kind of ugly.) Now, if the 80000sf Mariano's goes in, and 3 blocks south a Target goes in on Division, which nearby grocery store is going to get knocked out?

Admittedly there is some growth in population in the neighborhood, and the Goose Island bridge renovations will make it easier to go north on Halsted or east on Division to come grocery shopping, but this still does seem like it'll be a sudden glut of fresh fruits and cereals and kitchen cleaning supplies and...

Last edited by denizen467; Apr 6, 2012 at 3:58 AM. Reason: Clarity

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
PS, drove by the construction site last night and notice "Novak Construction" market equipment on site. It appears they are the ones building it. Would make sense considering they'd have an edge bidding on the contract being neighbors and all. Travel can be a large expense to take into account when you've got supervisors and construction managers charging $100+/Hour and driving 30 minutes to and from HQ every day...
Interesting point worth remembering. Plus I guess it also is nice when there's something gorgeous next door to your own HQ, and you can just point to it when clients are visiting your conference room and say it's one of your own projects.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 5:42 AM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
I like that Division proposal. Even as a midrise, it should have a good presence. The tower in the cancelled proposal is okay. I don't like all that greenspace. The building reminds me of Riverhouse in Grand Rapids a bit, although Riverhouse goes right up to the street, and has the freeway pass by pretty close behind
Keep in mind that it's right next to a police station, not the most inviting of places. The proposal was similar to Lexington Park (or whatever it's called now) in that there was a tower and midrise building (not shown) connected by a lowrise base, with retail even.

8 unit building at the NW corner of Division and Cleveland:

Some good news about the New City project: we might still get a tower out of it.

Bucksbaum launches development firm

...New City, scheduled to open in the fall of the year following, will offer 370,000 square feet of retail plus an 80,000-square-foot Mariano’s Fresh Market gourmet supermarket and a 16-story apartment tower. Chicago development firm Structured Development is partner on that project. Bucksbaum’s investment and retail expertise along with a $31 million loan from JPMorgan Chase has gotten the stalled project moving again, with construction due to start later this year.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 5:00 PM

^^^ The article talks about a place called the Maxwell in the Sloop that is being worked on.

Quote:
The Maxwell, with 190,000 square feet of retail and 430 residential units, is scheduled for first off the production line, with an opening set for the fall of 2013. The partner in that project is The Bond Cos., an investment and real estate advisory firm with offices in Chicago and Los Angeles..
I googled it and can't find anything. Anyone have any idea what is going on with this project?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 5:13 PM
BANNED

^^^ That's probably the really nice proposal across from the Whole Foods with three towers. I'd imagine that's the case since It's pretty much right on Maxwell Street.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 5:38 PM

^^^
Pictures or info?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 6:45 PM
TL;DR

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 7:57 PM

Thanks, now I remember it.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 8:15 PM
The City

Both the Maxwell and New City are 2 projects that I badly want to see happen because they are a bit unique:

Both are large retail/residential projects OUTSIDE of downtown that are NOT strip-mallish, ie they reinforce the neighborhoods' urban commercial streetscapes instead of taking away from them.

Most of the rest is either downtown, a residential highrise outside of downtown, a small residential project in the neighborhoods, or a god-damn strip center.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 8:52 PM

West loop Target. It looks like it is going to be pretty cool when completed.

Ohio and Orleans. O joy, they turned it into a giant storage unit...

1225 Wells. Sorry for the poor quality.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 8:54 PM
pragmatist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawfin View Post
This is awful. North / Clybourn continue their march into suburban style autocentric hell. What could have been if the design was simply more urban in form. This whole area is a massive missed opportunity.
While it's disappointing to read about that much parking, and thus thousands more cars a day being forced through those intersections, the ratio is about 40% fewer spaces than would be typical for a suburban development (four spaces per 1000 square feet of retail + one space per residential unit = 1760 spaces under typical requirements).

I don't think that it necessarily places older retail areas at a disadvantage -- except perhaps when leasing to chains that stupidly require on-site parking. Places like North Avenue Collection allow you to park once in the garage and walk around instead of limiting their parking to on-site customers only. Encourage more of that, and you'll find that people may eventually stop complaining that "I can't find parking around Clybourn."

Re: Motor Row, interesting that they've proposed two Shanghai-themed restaurants (one with "snow cone machine... Asian cocktail waitresses"?) and lured ZinZanni over from Block 37. (That was a dubiously square location for such a concept, anyways.) A microbrewery is slated for 2337, the narrow mid-block building on the east side of the street. There was a mention in the document that a zoning change now allows 4AM liquor licenses -- wonder how that'll affect attendance at 7:30AM conference sessions.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 9:25 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
Re: Motor Row, interesting that they've proposed two Shanghai-themed restaurants (one with "snow cone machine... Asian cocktail waitresses"?) and lured ZinZanni over from Block 37. (That was a dubiously square location for such a concept, anyways.) A microbrewery is slated for 2337, the narrow mid-block building on the east side of the street. There was a mention in the document that a zoning change now allows 4AM liquor licenses -- wonder how that'll affect attendance at 7:30AM conference sessions.
^ More of those 4am liquor licenses would be a good idea if they really want to make Motor Row an entertainment destination. Of course, there is a flip side to that. Too many of those and you run the risk of turning this into Weed St Part II, with rows of grungy nightclubs, drunk 20-somethings pissing on the pavement, and random fights between strangers.

I'm sure the Prairie district neighbors will love it!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 12:38 AM
TL;DR

You mean the Prairie District that's on the other side of Cermak? The section between Cermak and the Stevenson can easily become Weed Street Part II - in fact, I encourage it, considering a brand new transit station will be popping up there soon (albeit one that will close at 2am). There aren't many residential neighbors to complain, just a huge weedy lot that used to be public housing, and blank convention center walls.

Things aren't looking good for the Prairie Arcades, which is the new development proposed for north of Cermak. Some things about it are nice, like the idea of a subterranean grocery store, but others are annoying, like the huge parking lot proposed for the middle of the block, the facadectomy of the ABC Warehouse, or the unnecessary bridge over Cermak (a simple stoplight would be cheaper and far more urban). However, the architectural merits are a moot point because foreclosure is likely.

Last edited by ardecila; Apr 7, 2012 at 12:54 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development