HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 1:35 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_boy View Post
While I have never met Mr. Bousquet, have no idea what he's like in person and am not even sure what state he is from... I will tell you that the day you start attending practically every single council meeting and tweeting me live updates (with witty commentary at that), along with staying connected with the people who run Halifax plus maintaining a regular contribution to the only remaining competition to the biggest client of the Canadian Press, then you will have more credibility. That being said, I don't know who you are so if you already do all that stuff then I apologize.
There are many such people in Halifax who attend meeting after meeting and spread their anti-development dogma. I believe that they truly believe that they are protecting Nova Scotia from evil developers, but in reality they are forcing jobs out of the municipality and province. Instead of protecting the province, they are simply forcing Nova Scotians to move elsewhere to find jobs.

Instead of people like Tim Bousquet attending meeting after Council meeting, I would much rather see businessmen attending meeting after meeting and generating jobs for Nova Scotians. Many of us have read Tim Bousquet's articles so I don't think he will receive much sympathy - he has no problem accusing others of wrong doing.

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 1:43 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_boy View Post
I get the feeling a lot of people think "Bousquet" is a bad word on this forum. Like how a lot of Republicans think "liberal" is a bad word... though they may not fully grasp the meaning.

His article was not anti-development. I don't even think ol' Timmy himself is anti-development in general. He may have ideas that don't jive with yours, but I don't think he has some ulterior motive to see Halifax fail as a city. I think he feels just the opposite. He's written articles/tweeted that he is pro-stadium (with a sound business case), pro-oval, pro-Commons concerts and more. Tim's big thing is making sure the stuff is developed with thought, a good financial case and long term plan. Since when is that a bad thing?

Skyscrapers aren't the answer to everything... and Tim and I agree on the sprawl issue. But you can't say that anti-height isn't contributing to sprawl.

Edit: I missed this - "I have no respect for people with zero credibility (non-Canadian as well) telling everybody else what to think."

While I have never met Mr. Bousquet, have no idea what he's like in person and am not even sure what state he is from... I will tell you that the day you start attending practically every single council meeting and tweeting me live updates (with witty commentary at that), along with staying connected with the people who run Halifax plus maintaining a regular contribution to the only remaining competition to the biggest client of the Canadian Press, then you will have more credibility. That being said, I don't know who you are so if you already do all that stuff then I apologize.
I don't think skyscrapers are the answer to everything.

Additionally, I don't think any of the media outlets in Canada have any credibility. The Coast probably has the least. I mean, I like the art and entertainment sections, but just because its independent doesn't make it good/correct. In fact, its totally bias.

I consider myself a person that is slightly left of center and am completely offended by the way many supposed left wingers in Halifax approach local and global issues. Not only is it extremist, its just as bad as the fear mongering by the right.

I don't have time to go to council meetings every week.

Last edited by worldlyhaligonian; May 23, 2011 at 5:58 AM. Reason: Too harsh, lol.

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 8:08 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I find that many of these articles are very poorly written, with many sketchy statements of fact and a lot of ranting that doesn't do a good job of getting a coherent point across.

If you want to learn about urban development or politics there are better things to read. If you want to know about Halifax politics read the reports and minutes yourself.

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 4:06 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I find that many of these articles are very poorly written, with many sketchy statements of fact and a lot of ranting that doesn't do a good job of getting a coherent point across.

If you want to learn about urban development or politics there are better things to read. If you want to know about Halifax politics read the reports and minutes yourself.
Definitely.

Maybe we are all just getting trolled here?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy