HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 12:53 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

I would be interested as well.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 1:23 AM

NSP Tour

I would be interested in this as well!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 1:33 AM

I haven't really been active in this thread, other than lurking, but I would be very interested in a tour if possible.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 3:50 AM

I'm interested in attending. Next week anytime after Wednesday and before Tuesday the 24th works well for me. I'm flying out to China for 6 months on the 24th and would love to see this building before I go.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 4:03 AM

I would be keen for a walk through if one is on offer

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 4:56 AM

If my schedule allows it, I would love to join. Otherwise, I am excited to see the photos.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 5:27 AM
BANNED

How should we consolidate a date/time most convenient for everyone, in order to give NS Power something with which to work?

Does everyone want to throw in some info?
DigitalNinja has mentioned a date before the 24th, if possible.

We may need more info about NS Power's time of availability -- but regardless, what days and times works best for all'a'yous?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NS Power View Post
Hi Everyone,

We'd like to thank you all for the lively discussion about our new building at 1223 Lower Water St, known as 1H after the active substation outside. While employees are now working out of the building, there are finishing touches to be completed, such as some landscaping and construction of On the Pier, a new cafe on the boardwalk side that will be open to the public.

A few facts on the building
Regarding the name of the building - 1H has been the first two digits of the name of the Lower Water Street substation since it was built in the early 1900s. All of the substations in Nova Scotia start with a number and a letter – in this case “1” refers to it being the start of the Halifax system, and “H” stands for Halifax.

1H is a fitting name for a few reasons. It captures the fact that our office building started as something else – a power plant. It’s also a recognition that every aspect of our business is interconnected and that we rely on all our employees in every part of the company to succeed. You can trace a kilowatt of electricity from 1H to any substation, transmission or distribution line, large or residential customer anywhere in Nova Scotia.

Regarding the exterior wall on the Discovery Centre section - this area of the building, the former Electropolis space, was not included in the redevelopment plan approved by the Utility and Review Board. Discovery Centre will develop and clad this section of the building before joining us in 2013.

We’re providing the space to Discovery Centre for 25 years for one dollar, plus we will donate $1 million over five years to help them create and maintain displays. The $1 million contribution comes from a fund that Emera shareholders provide to the company to support worthy community initiatives. We want our new space to be an active, inviting part of the community, and Discovery Centre is a perfect fit.

An offer
We'd like to assess if any members of the forum who have been active in this thread would be interested in taking a tour of the building. We could provide a walk-through/overview of the project and answer any questions you may have. If you've been active in this thread and may be interested, feel free to let us know. We'll get a sense of the interest and see if timing could work for a tour.

Thanks for the quick reply but I wasn't referring to the Discovery section itself. Just the single wall that is attached to it which appears to still have exposed insulation and no aluminum cladding for quite some time now:

Old Posted Jan 12, 2012, 12:15 AM

I am sure many residents of HRM including myself would welcome the opportunity to check out this building.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2012, 2:49 PM

I would love to take a tour.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2012, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
How should we consolidate a date/time most convenient for everyone, in order to give NS Power something with which to work?

Does everyone want to throw in some info?
DigitalNinja has mentioned a date before the 24th, if possible.

We may need more info about NS Power's time of availability -- but regardless, what days and times works best for all'a'yous?
Okay my schedule has changed and I'm available from now until the end of February or so. Monday or Tuesday of next week would be ideal but again with some heads up I can get there most of the time.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2012, 11:30 PM

I'm available any time, if I get notice the day before. I prefer afternoons and evenings though.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2012, 3:04 AM

Wednesday of next week is the best time for me.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2012, 2:01 PM

Thanks all for your interest. We'll check with project staff to determine a few available dates and post again next week to see what works best for everyone.

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve61 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply but I wasn't referring to the Discovery section itself. Just the single wall that is attached to it which appears to still have exposed insulation and no aluminum cladding for quite some time now:
What you see is waterproofing material applied to a wall on the undeveloped section where the entrance to Discovery Centre is likely to be. Our staff are determining if they'll proceed with a temporary facade in advance of Discovery Centre.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2012, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NS Power View Post
Thanks all for your interest. We'll check with project staff to determine a few available dates and post again next week to see what works best for everyone.

Thanks again.

What you see is waterproofing material applied to a wall on the undeveloped section where the entrance to Discovery Centre is likely to be. Our staff are determining if they'll proceed with a temporary facade in advance of Discovery Centre.
Thanks for the explanation. Trying to figure out why this one spot was left exposed while finishing touches are taking place on the rest of the building was driving me nuts.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 9:22 PM

Any info on a date/time for a tour yet?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 3:22 PM

Hi Everyone,

We'd have a member of the project team available for a chat and tour at 11:30am on either February 8 or 10. We'd only be able to schedule one of the dates so hopefully one can work for most of you. We'd be happy to have you in and answer any questions about the construction process & the building itself and take you on a tour of the facility. We'd expect things to last about 45 minutes to an hour.

Hope you can make it! Please let us know what day would work best and we'll start registering folks who can make it.

Last edited by NS Power; Jan 28, 2012 at 7:03 PM. Reason: Edited to change 'minute' to 'minutes'.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 7:06 PM

The 10th would work best for me.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 7:51 PM

Either works fine for me, as long as there's no major snow storms around then. My wheelchair is manual and I'm not very good at getting it through snow/slush.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 11:13 PM

The 10th would be best for me.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth