HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 11:27 PM

J. Crew will have an outlet here as well as its first store in Ottawa at the Rideau Centre (from the Ottawa Citizen, sorry I don't have an account so it defaults back to the main page and I can't copy and paste)

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 11:38 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by canabiz View Post
J. Crew will have an outlet here as well as its first store in Ottawa at the Rideau Centre (from the Ottawa Citizen, sorry I don't have an account so it defaults back to the main page and I can't copy and paste)
Quote:
J.Crew opens first store in Ottawa at Rideau Centre

Janet Wilson, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: September 3, 2014, Last Updated: September 3, 2014 5:14 PM EDT

Now there’s even more of a reason never to leave Ottawa to shop. J.Crew, the former catalogue-only company made über cool by Michelle Obama, is the latest American retail chain to open its doors in Ottawa. Once known for its preppy casual look, J.Crew has seemingly reinvented itself and is experiencing renewed interest thanks to successful brand collaborations and offbeat pairings of high and low styles that pack a visual punch. Think slouchy wool sweatpants with crisp blazers.

At almost 6,000 square feet, the space on the second floor of the Rideau Centre, boasts smart apparel and suiting options for women and men as well as a selection from In Good Company — a collection of brand partnerships hand-selected by the design team. Shoppers can expect classic favourites such as cashmere sweaters, graphic T-shirts, denim pants, leather totes, shoes, statement jewelry and outerwear. The J.Crew men’s collection turns it up a notch with its beautifully tailored Ludlow suit featuring bespoke details and fabric from Italian and British mills. The store also offers a complimentary one-on-one service with an inhouse personal stylist for customers. Founded in 1983, the New York City-based J.Crew has 265 stores around the globe as well as a strong online presence. This is the company’s 13th store in Canada, while a J.Crew Factory outlet is slated to open in Kanata at the upcoming Tanger Outlets.

The Rideau Centre, which is undergoing a $360-million redevelopment project, has seen a flurry of new openings including Express, Victoria’s Secret, Drake General Store, Bath & Body Works and upcoming department stores such as retail giant Nordstrom and Quebec-based Simons. The shopping centre’s $21-million Dining Hall opened last month to much fanfare with its sleek design and bevy of eclectic food offerings. Bayshore Shopping Centre is also undergoing a $200-million expansion with a host of new stores, including H&M, Express, Zara, Victoria’s Secret and PINK and more.

http://ottawacitizen.com/life/fashio...-rideau-centre

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 11:17 AM

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 4:24 PM

Fashion blog 613Style has a sneak-peak of the Tanger Outlets (still under construction):

And, here is their report on the "Dining Hall".

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 1:34 AM

Here's a full list of the stores (with map) coming soon:
http://www.tangeroutlet.com/ottawa/directory

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 1:47 AM
Melissa: fabulous.

Pretty decent list. The sports apparel offerings are excellent, and I should be visiting those a fair bit.

I was secretly hoping for a Le Creuset outlet ... maybe some day.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac888yow View Post
Pretty decent list. The sports apparel offerings are excellent, and I should be visiting those a fair bit.

I was secretly hoping for a Le Creuset outlet ... maybe some day.
Agreed, pretty solid! There's still a few spots on the map that don't reveal names (when you place your mouse cursor over them). So, a Le Creuset could be forthcoming...

The big one (Unit #750) also does not reveal a name. I would suspect that would be a Hudson Bay outlet (like the one at Halton Hills), an HR2 (since Holt Renfrew are pulling their main store out of the Ottawa market...a consolation prize, so to speak), or very possibly a Nordstrom Rack.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 1:27 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Just wondering - after seeing the store layout map

How much of the walkway around the store blocks will be covered or otherwise protected from the elements. This is Ottawa after all - open space is nice and all, but our weather can be pretty crappy a lot.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 7:16 PM

I don't see much protection from the elements in the pictures. Its a bit of a shame considering our climate. I recall the big outdoor outlet centers in Florida have loads of protection from the elements (which consist of 2 types - sun and rain), so its a big fail that here, with rain, snow, sleet, sun, freezing rain, they only built a handful of roofs.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 7:32 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

I visited the Toronto Premium Outlets for the first time back in April. They had a few sections of the walkway covered with a sort of roof as seen here

As you can see, it only covers portions of the area and offers no real protection from any wind or driving rain/snow. It's ok in the warmer months, but doesn't look that great for winter.

Also - I found that the product selection/pricing to be very underwhelming. I guess I've been spoiled by the US outlet experience. Let's not get our hopes up too high.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 7:36 PM

^ From CREATE's website, you can see in this aerial view that there will be a roof covering segments of each corridor (at least 6, from my count); but, the whole place won't be sheltered. This is similar to the one's in Niagara-on-the-lake, and at Halton Hills, where the latter probably has a climate very close to ours during the winter months.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 8:32 PM

Random thoughts after seeing that aerial:

How many people will (try to) park at Tanger for Sens games, and will Tanger (try to) police that somehow?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac888yow View Post
Random thoughts after seeing that aerial:

How many people will (try to) park at Tanger for Sens games, and will Tanger (try to) police that somehow?
Maybe some will, but it won't be very appealing because there are NO sidewalks on the Huntmar overpass over the 417.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydwlr View Post
^ From CREATE's website, you can see in this aerial view that there will be a roof covering segments of each corridor (at least 6, from my count); but, the whole place won't be sheltered. This is similar to the one's in Niagara-on-the-lake, and at Halton Hills, where the latter probably has a climate very close to ours during the winter months.

What an abomination. It's amazing that we have so much polemic about creating density in the core and all the while sprawl like this goes on uncontested. 1900 parking spots in a field outside a suburb is not city building.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 8:48 PM

It could have been worse. A few years ago a project very similar to this one was proposed.... at the Rockdale exit of the 417, in Russell Township.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umbria27 View Post
What an abomination. It's amazing that we have so much polemic about creating density in the core and all the while sprawl like this goes on uncontested. 1900 parking spots in a field outside a suburb is not city building.
I think it's a perfect match for it's location and it fills a very much needed gap in the region's retail options. It will also serve as a draw for residents all over Eastern Ontario and Western Quebec.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 4:22 AM
National Capital Region

Quote:
More to come along Campeau
http://www.taggart.ca/_uploads/devs/...ata%20West.pdf
http://www.taggart.ca/_uploads/devs/...ure_Page_1.jpg
http://looplink.ottawa.cbre.ca/ll/18...ampeau-Drive/#
http://www.obj.ca/Real-Estate/Non-re...nt-in-Kanata/1

Last edited by waterloowarrior; Oct 1, 2014 at 4:46 AM.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I think it's a perfect match for it's location and it fills a very much needed gap in the region's retail options. It will also serve as a draw for residents all over Eastern Ontario and Western Quebec.
What do you mean by a perfect match for its location? Why must outlet stores be built in green fields development on the edge of the city?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 1:40 PM

^ Because the parking requirements demand it. I'm curious to know how many people are familiar with outlet shopping. The patrons of outlets power shop, often with roller-suitcases, and often depart with dozens of bags or suitcases full of goods. Furthermore, often there are tour buses full of people that come from outlying areas to shop for the day.

Whether people like it or not isn't the point; it is essential to the viability and success of such centers to have vast areas of parking. Such areas are typically not available in the center of the city.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Urgh, I agree. But on the plus side, there's a pond!!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs