HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma99a View Post
So... UP doesn't have to pay for it, but gets to own it... AND only allows up to 10 cap corridor trains per day. Sounds like a good deal for UP to me
But, they will maintain the tracks. That's something!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 11:54 PM
Megalonorcal 11M~

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamcityleo79 View Post
But, they will maintain the tracks. That's something!
I just want the cap corridor to have its own right away. But 5 round trips a day is much better than what we have now.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 12:20 AM
Hindrance to Development

I assume that maintenance also includes signaling/dispatching, and the right-of-way is already Union Pacific's property. The third track becomes for all practical purposes a dedicated line for Capitol Corridor extensions to Roseville, I assume that it will also include some level of storage at Roseville for the trainsets that will originate there rather than in Sacramento (half the Capitol Corridor fleet parks by the Sacramento depot at night.)

This also means a new bridge across the American River, probably just due west of the existing UP bridge over the American near the Elvas wye.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 12:51 AM
Megalonorcal 11M~

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
This also means a new bridge across the American River, probably just due west of the existing UP bridge over the American near the Elvas wye.
If we can get a new bridge across the Carquinez Straight and a tunnel Richmond we'll be set

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 1:53 AM
Hindrance to Development

Or they could always set up a new ferry!

Car Ferry Ramon and the Suisun Bay Crossing

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 1:34 PM

Quote:
I assume that maintenance also includes signaling/dispatching, and the right-of-way is already Union Pacific's property. The third track becomes for all practical purposes a dedicated line for Capitol Corridor extensions to Roseville, I assume that it will also include some level of storage at Roseville for the trainsets that will originate there rather than in Sacramento (half the Capitol Corridor fleet parks by the Sacramento depot at night.)

It's a win-win! UP gets their own tracks back and Cap Corridor trains have their own track, too. Everyone has their own dedicated tracks! Progress.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Capitol Corridor hope: 10 passenger trains a day between Roseville and Sacramento

By Tony Bizjak
tbizjak@sacbee.com

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2014/07/08/654...#storylink=cpy

There is a part in here where Rocklin and Auburn residents want in on this complaining that it is a "disservice" to passengers who live farther up the line! Get over yourselves!!! There are 78,785 people who live in the corridor between Roseville and Rocklin! There are 126,323 people in Roseville ALONE! Why would they want to build transit further out than Roseville? Wouldn't this just encourage further growth in places like Auburn and Lincoln? I say NO to this! If you want to get on the train, drive to Roseville or move closer to the city. The city/state/RT should not be enabling sprawl!
At least this is Realistic Rail Commuting, if there is a cluster of work spaces and points of interest built in Old Roseville as well as downtown Sacramento. Long distance "High speed rail" cho-choos are a farce, as they lack the speed of air travel *and* the door-to-door flexibility of road transport. But regional rail is at least feasible.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
At least this is Realistic Rail Commuting, if there is a cluster of work spaces and points of interest built in Old Roseville as well as downtown Sacramento. Long distance "High speed rail" cho-choos are a farce, as they lack the speed of air travel *and* the door-to-door flexibility of road transport. But regional rail is at least feasible.
We get it! You don't like HSR...not everyone agrees with you(probably half don't)...and clearly other countries have HSR down. But, you have to start somewhere! CAHSR is here to stay whether you like it or not. It's better than nothing...and, again...it's a start!

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 1:20 AM
Hindrance to Development

Of course, a network of "medium-speed" rail would also help feed into an eventual HSR terminal, so it's a win-win whether or not you're a putt-putt car fetishist who thinks high speed rail is scary.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Of course, a network of "medium-speed" rail would also help feed into an eventual HSR terminal, so it's a win-win whether or not you're a putt-putt car fetishist who thinks high speed rail is scary.
What he said!

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 3:05 PM

Angry

Quote:
We get it! You don't like HSR...not everyone agrees with you(probably half don't)...and clearly other countries have HSR down. But, you have to start somewhere! CAHSR is here to stay whether you like it or not. It's better than nothing...and, again...it's a start!
Yah, we have to waste money somewhere. And no, it isn't here to stay because we are, yes, broke. You have run out of other people's money, and your Party commissars are bankrupt.

Get it through your dreamy skull. Long distance rail has neither the speed of air travel (for those of us in the real world, time is money), nor the door-to-door flexibility of road transport.

Regional Rail, for certain commutes and trips, on the other hand, might work well.

But your HSR does nothing but take away from more realistic transit projects, right here in Sacramento.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
Yah, we have to waste money somewhere. And no, it isn't here to stay because we are, yes, broke. You have run out of other people's money, and your Party commissars are bankrupt.

Get it through your dreamy skull. Long distance rail has neither the speed of air travel (for those of us in the real world, time is money), nor the door-to-door flexibility of road transport.

Regional Rail, for certain commutes and trips, on the other hand, might work well.

But your HSR does nothing but take away from more realistic transit projects, right here in Sacramento.
Well, California is a democracy just like every other state in the country (albeit a bit more fair than some other states as far as voting rights...but, that's another issue entirely)! If you don't like it, vote another way. If you don't win, complain all you want. But, elections have consequences! A few things....1) You do know California has a surplus and a good fiscal plan for the future, yes? 2) You do know that California is run by Democrats (including a very popular Democratic governor HIGHLY supportive of HSR) and Democrats typically are supportive of rail transit and progress, in general, yes? 3) I think you underestimate the potential HUGE success of HSR. I admit that I could be wrong about the potential. Can you also admit that you could be wrong!? You are a loud minority! You can be mad all you want. But,that's the way things are in California. You can't expect to live in an increasingly progressive liberal state and not see things like HSR and big projects that benefit many! That's the way it is! For many people (NIMBY farmers and "putt-putt car fetishists excluded), things like this are a positive step forward. So, whether you "get on the train or not", it's something that many powerful people are working for...and a majority of Californians voted to tax themselves to support...and many still support it in spite of NIMBYs and naysayers like yourself. You can be as angry and as loud as you want. But, being angry about liberal/progressive policies/projects in California is like being angry about heat in the Arizona. What's the point?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Or they could always set up a new ferry!

Car Ferry Ramon and the Suisun Bay Crossing
Wow, how more Luddite can you get.

The lack of a bridge across the Bay / Carquinez Strait was the undoing of the original Sacramento Northern.

Do you want real solutions to transportation, or do you just want to play with big toys?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Well, California is a democracy just like every other state in the country (albeit a bit more fair than some other states as far as voting rights...but, that's another issue entirely)!
Because dead people, household pets and illegal aliens voting without ID is just *so* fair. Maybe you can make the ghosts of Richard Daley and Boss Tweed proud.

Then again, election day is close to Christmas. Cheating Commiecrats, Cheating Commiecrats, right down Commiecrat Lane.....

Quote:
If you don't like it, vote another way. If you don't win, complain all you want. But, elections have consequences! A few things....1) You do know California has a surplus and a good fiscal plan for the future, yes?)
If you actually believe this, I have a "high speed" rail right of way from Sacramento to LA *via Tehachapi and Palmdale* to sell you. (Think hard--shortest distance between two points and all that. This is how I know you are wrong and I am not.)

Although I suppose circumventing the "three strikes" law and letting felons out of jail early *does* help save money, California will regret it shortly.

I know all the rest of it, and I watched you and your ilk ruin a once great state. You are in some respects now worse than back when you were apologizing for the Soviets.....

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 5:06 PM

On a side note to everyone else...is there a way to block someone!? I'm not here to argue with people who call names and chant songs at me! I'm here to discuss developments in the Sacramento area (HSR being one of them, potentially). I get nothing out of the 19 posts I've seen from this person!....Edit...found it!

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 8:00 PM
Hindrance to Development

Yeah, I'm getting a little sick of being abused by the humor-impaired. Did he seriously think I was serious about a car ferry across the strait? (insert smirk icon here)

Old Posted Jul 12, 2014, 6:07 AM
Megalonorcal 11M~

Quote:
On a side note to everyone else...is there a way to block someone!? I'm not here to argue with people who call names and chant songs at me! I'm here to discuss developments in the Sacramento area (HSR being one of them, potentially). I get nothing out of the 19 posts I've seen from this person!....Edit...found it!
Yep, it's called an ignore list. And mine is working good

Old Posted Jul 12, 2014, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma99a View Post
Yep, it's called an ignore list. And mine is working good
I found it...I have never had to use it on this, or any, forum...EVER! That was too much. I won't be treated like that. No ma'am!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2014, 5:28 PM

Quote:
I found it...I have never had to use it on this, or any, forum...EVER! That was too much. I won't be treated like that. No ma'am!
Nice, he's on my ignore list too. Not a single productive post from that guy.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2014, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ozo View Post
Nice, he's on my ignore list too. Not a single productive post from that guy.
I know I can be passionate in my beliefs sometimes. But, I hope I never have to stoop to THAT. It's good to know I was not alone in thinking that guy was useless.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area