HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 2:59 AM

Ivanhoé Cambridge, the real estate subsidiary of the Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec, is building the following $750M towers... in Paris. It is designed by Jean Nouvel and it will be the first time since the infamous Tour Montparnasse (1976) that such a high constructions are allowed to be built "intra-muros". So the question is: would we want to see these towers in a canadian city?

http://www.urbanews.fr/2012/04/24/20.../#.T5oLHLOHh2A

Last edited by davidivivid; Apr 27, 2012 at 4:03 AM.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 3:04 AM

I prefer Phare tower... this one is a bit too irrational. Though it's probably better than this:

Bay Adelaide, RBC, Telus, 10 York, Bremner, Waterpark III, 1 York (latest addition!)

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 3:20 AM

Lets get some cool skyscrapers like the new ones in Milan's downtown.

I took this while visiting Milan. The difference there is these buildings are seen as signature buildings to a whole new district for the downtown. Not just separate buildings not connected with their surroundings.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidivivid View Post
So the question is: would we want to see these towers in a canadian city?
No. We, aren't willing to pay the rent rates to support a building with small (they look quite thin) and non-uniform floorplates.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 3:58 AM
Registered User, Maybe

So basically, when it comes to office buildings in Canada, we suck...

Oh well!
Thank god there's more to life then skyscrapers.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 4:08 AM
Look at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidivivid View Post
So the question is: would we want to see these towers in a canadian city?
Count me in as one who would very much like to see them here.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegeta_skyline View Post
So basically, when it comes to office buildings in Canada, we suck...
In Toronto at least. These buildings are occuppied by the same companies we were proud to say were conservative during the last recession. That management style slices two ways.

Big law, etc. in Toronto are basically there to support the banks.

It's going to require the rise of a different industry or a major land-crunch to build office space that isn't highly functional first.

I expect finance will start putting up 300m office towers in the next cycle (2025) due to land prices. They will still be boxes with large floorplates.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 1:24 PM

Torontonians by nature tend to be cheap and pragmatic. That's why Rob Ford is mayor. It's not an atmosphere that's conducive to ostentation or flair, save every couple decades or so when we spit out a CN Tower or Sharp Centre for Design.

I recall reading somewhere that when they were planning Scotia Plaza, they seriously considered the option of tower taller than First Canadian Place. Ultimately they decided that the money would be better spent on superior design over superior height. So it's not unheard of for Toronto's financial institutions to choose style over numbers.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
I prefer Phare tower... this one is a bit too irrational. Though it's probably better than this:

Bay Adelaide, RBC, Telus, 10 York, Bremner, Waterpark III, 1 York (latest addition!)
A little variety wouldn't hurt, rational or not. It almost look like the same building from different angles.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 4:17 PM

This one is still in the works, so let's see what comes of it:

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 7:16 PM

That one is gorgeous. At least from that aerial angle. Is it from KPF ? It reminds me of their proposal for the Windsor tower near the Bell Center.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
That one is gorgeous. At least from that aerial angle. Is it from KPF ? It reminds me of their proposal for the Windsor tower near the Bell Center.
It is indeed KPF. It's nice, but I think I prefer it before the recent revisions (and not just because it was taller):

http://urbantoronto.ca/database/proj...d-adelaide-iii

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 7:35 PM

I like both design :-)

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 7:51 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
I was in Sydney a few weekends ago, and it struck me how much better Australian architecture seems to be. Their new condos don't all look the same like in Canada, and their office towers have a London-grade quality to it not seen in Canada, both in terms of architecture and luxurious use of space. Here are some of their more recent office towers:

1 Bligh: 30 storey atrium with curved glass...

In Canada, only the Bow comes close.

This makes me so sad for the loss of the Bow's skypods and the south Bow block's new neutered design that no longer has the amazing canyon of glass atrium facing the northern tower.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 5:52 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramako View Post
Torontonians by nature tend to be cheap and pragmatic. That's why Rob Ford is mayor. It's not an atmosphere that's conducive to ostentation or flair, save every couple decades or so when we spit out a CN Tower or Sharp Centre for Design.

I recall reading somewhere that when they were planning Scotia Plaza, they seriously considered the option of tower taller than First Canadian Place. Ultimately they decided that the money would be better spent on superior design over superior height. So it's not unheard of for Toronto's financial institutions to choose style over numbers.

Torontonians didn't vote Rob Ford. They voted heavily for his competition who, by all means, was a weak candidate himself. All the headquarters on Bay Street were built with both design and sheer height in mind. Most were built during an era where adornment was frowned upon. The huge success of these buildings is a reason our institutions continue to sway in that direction.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 7:59 PM

This tower is nice but look at all the crap around it. We have no reason to be envious of Australia.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 8:40 PM
Volatile Pacivist

I like most of the office towers in Aus, especially how they tend to be so well integrated into the urban environment rather than stuck on huge podiums that half a block had to be razed in order to build. And I like that they have more texture and whimsy rather than just being straight-laced corporate looking.

People here tend to look down on pomo, but I think that's largely from context since pomo is pretty dire in NA, drawing from lots of weird retro/historical design cues which as a practice isn't common down there. There's tends to be more futuristic rather than retro.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 9:14 PM

Regardless of their design styles (I find that both Canada and Australia have enough interesting buildings) I am disappointed that both countries lack a super tall. Most of Sydney's buildings range in the 200-230M range and Melbourne only has one building pushing the 250M range. Every developer in Toronto seems afraid to go past First Canadian's 298M and that was in 1975. I was so disappointed that Scotia Plaza did not push the 300-350M range. Everyone seems happy with just a new 235M building. Imagine downtown Toronto with something like the 500M Shanghai World Financial Center. It may have 101 floors, but downtown Toronto does have a 5% vacancy rate and has over 150 floors of proposed office space. Why put it in three mediocre buildings when the market would support at least one super tall.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welkin View Post
Regardless of their design styles (I find that both Canada and Australia have enough interesting buildings) I am disappointed that both countries lack a super tall. Most of Sydney's buildings range in the 200-230M range and Melbourne only has one building pushing the 250M range. Every developer in Toronto seems afraid to go past First Canadian's 298M and that was in 1975. I was so disappointed that Scotia Plaza did not push the 300-350M range. Everyone seems happy with just a new 235M building. Imagine downtown Toronto with something like the 500M Shanghai World Financial Center. It may have 101 floors, but downtown Toronto does have a 5% vacancy rate and has over 150 floors of proposed office space. Why put it in three mediocre buildings when the market would support at least one super tall.
I think you might be a bit confused. Melbourne's tallest is 297M and has a several more built, U/C or proposed around the 250 mark.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 11:04 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welkin View Post
Just because the market can support that amount of space doesn't mean it can support it at the prices required to create a super tall. Remember, it is more expensive to build one very tall building than 2 or 3 much smaller buildings. So the building might have a competitive disadvantage relative to the shorter, less expensive alternatives when looking for tenants.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada