HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Claridge Icon in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 3:49 AM

Just heard the CTV spot. Yeah, Holmes comes across as a knee-jerk obstructionist who'd done this a thousand times before and no longer even thinks about the proposal or its context. She probably remembers when those 2-storey homes were structurally sound.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 3:56 AM
National Capital Region

Citizen article
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/homes/O...111/story.html

The Claridge project puts stores on the ground floor. The 128-metre-tall building includes two or three floors of offices, and 220 to 250 residential units.

They also interviewed Foster + Partners, Gehry Partners, Perkins + Will, and Kohn Pederson Fox.

(^^^More please!)

Greater Ottawa
http://blogs.ottawacitizen.com/2012/...medium=twitter

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 4:46 AM

One word: drool

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 6:43 AM

Building looks awesome.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 7:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKpa View Post
Building looks awesome.
I agree, hopefully it won't be squashed in height by council.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 8:33 AM
recession proof

Not bad. It's certainly a more conservative HP design. Sort of like a taller version of Plazacorp's Ivory on Adelaide (Toronto) with a hint of Context King West's chunky blocky massing.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Darwin said 45 storeys.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Looks good so far... edit: architect is Hariri Pontarini
That's a funny way to spell Hobin.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 11:29 AM
Mooderator

I like it, a lot!

Quote:
Citizen article
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/homes/O...111/story.html

The Claridge project puts stores on the ground floor. The 128-metre-tall building includes two or three floors of offices, and 220 to 250 residential units.
128 m? That would be the same height as Terrasses, no?

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 12:48 PM

I like it! Inetersting how this will impact Soho Italia? Will they put on hold util this is approved (or not)...

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
Even if business owners/the BIA endorse the proposal. In the video it sounds like they see it as more of a Carling project than a Preston/Italy project.
They probably have to go that way because Preston is just a one lane, often jammed street while carling is three lanes each way. It does look like a building that should be downtown instead of on preston simply because its the only building of its kind anywhere in that area but I guess you gotta start somewhere.

Let be real though. Developers don't really care about it being the ideal area, its the cost of land they are more concerned about it. Much cheaper than downtown.

If it is built, it will be a bit difficult dealing with the traffic coming out of the underground parking. Lights will have to be installed somewhere otherwise people will never be able to get out or in.

Last edited by jaz; May 2, 2012 at 1:53 PM.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 1:50 PM

Hey everyone! I'm brand new to this forum (but have been reading it for a few years...). I just wanted to chime in with my vote of support for this fantastic design. This location is perfect for some height.

So...a question:

I'd like to attend some city council meetings where this and other buildings are being discussed / voted on / etc. Just wondering how one determines what are the correct meetings to attend in regards to a specific application.

Great forum, learning so much...thanks to all...

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 2:28 PM

I really like this new trend: shift in quality design with most of the new projects (Cathedral Hill, SoBa, 150 Elgin, OCC, The Merit, SOHO's etc). Looks like Claridge catches it up...

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 3:03 PM
Citizen-at-large

I have to say that I'm pretty excited about this! While Claridge hasn't always built the most attractive buildings, they generally match the renders (CP looked awful in the renders, IMHO, while Tiffany did not - that is how they have turned out in reality), which gives me hope that this building could end up looking quite good.

I'm really happy that they are doing a true mixed-use, with office space as well as the retail and residential.

In terms of height - I am very glad we finally have a 40+ proposal. They should have proposed 48 stories so that the compromise would have been 42 - as is, my skeptical side tells me this will end up being mid-30s (but taller than the new norm of 28!).

I have felt (and vocalized this opinion) for a long time that this location (Preston/Carling), along with Tunney's Pasture and near Hurdman, are the best areas for 40+ storey buildings - even more ideal for them than downtown itself (although that sort of height might be nice along Catherine as well).

Now the neighbourhood just needs a "Morguard Icon", "Oxford Icon", "Minto Icon" or "Metcalfe Icon" to go with the Claridge Icon and have the area really take off. What I'm getting at is that a 40+ storey office tower near Preston would be great.

Aside from Soho and this building, which I give a pass as spurring development in the area, and being right at the southern tip of the street, I actually do feel that the front row of buildings along Preston should be shorter (or podiums with towers behind). Any height should be game for the properties further back from Preston and south of the Queensway.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawan View Post
Now the neighbourhood just needs a "Morguard Icon", "Oxford Icon", "Minto Icon" or "Metcalfe Icon" to go with the Claridge Icon and have the area really take off. What I'm getting at is that a 40+ storey office tower near Preston would be great.
don't forget that commercial floors are usually 15-20% taller than residential ones, so a commercial building of the same height would probably be fewer than 35 storeys.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 3:30 PM
Citizen-at-large

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
don't forget that commercial floors are usually 15-20% taller than residential ones, so a commercial building of the same height would probably be fewer than 35 storeys.
I hadn't forgotten - an iconic office tower should be taller than an iconic condo tower.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 7:00 PM
inner city

Wouldn't this block most of the southern views "Soho Italia" would have had?

I like this project, and am glad Claridge recognizes the big room for improvement they have.

I wonder if Neil Malhotra would keep a full-floor 360 degree-view penthouse for himself? I would! :-)

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKellarDweller View Post
Wouldn't this block most of the southern views "Soho Italia" would have had?
shouldn't, they're on opposite sides of Preston.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 7:20 PM
inner city

When I look at a map, it looks like the Dows Lake views would mostly be blocked though, no? Not that I care, just saying - the south/southeast facing Soho Italia units are way less appealing if the Icon goes up, IMO.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 7:41 PM

okay, yes, views to the southeast would be pretty blocked

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa