HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 8, 2012, 9:05 PM

Interesting trivia when the south perimeter was constructed in the 60's, the design elevation was set at one foot over the 1950 flood high water level to act as a full time dike. I don't know how far east and west it goes before it ties in to higher land.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Interesting trivia when the south perimeter was constructed in the 60's, the design elevation was set at one foot over the 1950 flood high water level to act as a full time dike. I don't know how far east and west it goes before it ties in to higher land.
I think the dike has a breach - the Red River itself

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 3:44 AM

At the river ends they tie into the north/south dikes of the Winnipeg primary diking system that run parallel to the river.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 3:17 PM

I drove on Pinkie Road yesterday on the west side of Regina, and noticed they are working on the West Bypass highway. Traffic isn't too busy over there yet, but I guess that will pick up substantially once the bypass is finished.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robag View Post
I drove on Pinkie Road yesterday on the west side of Regina, and noticed they are working on the West Bypass highway. Traffic isn't too busy over there yet, but I guess that will pick up substantially once the bypass is finished.
I hope that once the Pinkie interchange is completed, the focus will shift to the east side of Regina - namely the new SE bypass and improvements along the #1 HWY east corridor, eventually a couple new interchanges in the White City & Balgonie areas.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask1982 View Post
I hope that once the Pinkie interchange is completed, the focus will shift to the east side of Regina - namely the new SE bypass and improvements along the #1 HWY east corridor, eventually a couple new interchanges in the White City & Balgonie areas.
I know of one person with land just east of Regina (near the 33) that got a letter from Highways (pretty sure he said highways) saying that development on his land was restricted because his land was in the path of one of the potential routes. Planning must be underway on it.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenskca View Post
I know of one person with land just east of Regina (near the 33) that got a letter from Highways (pretty sure he said highways) saying that development on his land was restricted because his land was in the path of one of the potential routes. Planning must be underway on it.
Between the Regina east city limits and Balgonie, all the land seems to be available for interchanges (although the frequency might be too high for a rural design - a couple of them could be deleted).

How is the southeast bypass planning coming along, since it would be very difficult to upgrade the suburban section of Victoria Avenue and nearly impossible to built a systems interchange at the existing Ring Road.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 7:27 PM

My friend is the project manager for AECOM in charge of the WRB, it is coming along. I also drive out there on my way to my parents house when I visit. The overpass is designed to have one bridge completed, but has dirt piled for expansion and space to build another 2-lane bridge. So they are thinking down the road in terms of development. Also the roadbed between Dewdney and the CP Rail tracks is underway west of the the CN CP Interchange track.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
My friend is the project manager for AECOM in charge of the WRB, it is coming along. I also drive out there on my way to my parents house when I visit. The overpass is designed to have one bridge completed, but has dirt piled for expansion and space to build another 2-lane bridge. So they are thinking down the road in terms of development. Also the roadbed between Dewdney and the CP Rail tracks is underway west of the the CN CP Interchange track.
eternallyme was asking about the SE bypass, not the west bypass, but none the less thanks for the update!

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 4:46 AM

In Manitoba, we "talk" about overpasses. In Sask. They "build" them!!!

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 4:55 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDBO View Post
In Manitoba, we "talk" about overpasses. In Sask. They "build" them!!!

Let us not forget in Sask, besides a crappy football, lol. They are a very young province and very young infastructure, where as Winnipeg has a very OLD one. If Sask cities were as big as Winnipeg, and were as old, they wouldn't be spending on a few overpasses.

If you do some history lessons, you will find Winnipeg was the second city to do an outside circular HWY, the first was Indianapolis. Now these things are all old now and need upgrading, just like everything else in the city. All I hear is we need this and that, what we need is our sewer system repaired and the streets we have done and finish our rapid transit.

And we live on a Flood plain, very high water tables made it very hard to build roads back in the day that would not buckle, if you actually see how a brand new road is built they go down deep, unlike they did before, and way below the frost line. Live and learn and we have finally learned. But our patch fixing roads is a waste of time. We should take some advice from Ontario, or North Dakota, grind the buckled Pavement down, fix the bad spots and asphalt them. Would be cheaper.

PS if we so talk about them, then why are we building all this crap for center port sir?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 5:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
Let us not forget in Sask, besides a crappy football, lol. They are a very young province and very young infastructure, where as Winnipeg has a very OLD one. If Sask cities were as big as Winnipeg, and were as old, they wouldn't be spending on a few overpasses.

If you do some history lessons, you will find Winnipeg was the second city to do an outside circular HWY, the first was Indianapolis. Now these things are all old now and need upgrading, just like everything else in the city. All I hear is we need this and that, what we need is our sewer system repaired and the streets we have done and finish our rapid transit.

And we live on a Flood plain, very high water tables made it very hard to build roads back in the day that would not buckle, if you actually see how a brand new road is built they go down deep, unlike they did before, and way below the frost line. Live and learn and we have finally learned. But our patch fixing roads is a waste of time. We should take some advice from Ontario, or North Dakota, grind the buckled Pavement down, fix the bad spots and asphalt them. Would be cheaper.

PS if we so talk about them, then why are we building all this crap for center port sir?

Good point. However, I don't see much reconstruction of existing roadways that need it. In fact the city cut back on residential street renewal , don't see phase 2 of brt happening anytime soon. CPT extension was a simple asphalt over gravel. [which is a smoother drive than the Inkster widening which was concrete and rebar] Centreport is pretty much all "federal money". So where is the city spending the money? Seems like the only time the city does sewer and water line work, is when there is a break, and they have no choice but to reconstruct small sections [possible exception is Dugald Rd.]

Old Posted Aug 11, 2012, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Good point. However, I don't see much reconstruction of existing roadways that need it. In fact the city cut back on residential street renewal , don't see phase 2 of brt happening anytime soon. CPT extension was a simple asphalt over gravel. [which is a smoother drive than the Inkster widening which was concrete and rebar] Centreport is pretty much all "federal money". So where is the city spending the money? Seems like the only time the city does sewer and water line work, is when there is a break, and they have no choice but to reconstruct small sections [possible exception is Dugald Rd.]
Sometimes when the temperature gets down to -20 and your driving on Dugald Rd., you can't tell the difference between the railway tracks and the road. Also, now that Timmy's is on Dugald, the customers are complaining that they can't keep coffee in their cup.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2012, 5:48 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I agree, there has been cutbacks, but you know i rather see us out of the debt Sammy put us in first. But if you drive around there are a lot of complete residential street renewals, not patch jobs.

The one Part of Dugald is nice though, the part they fixed lol. I guess that was for the New police shop, wouldn't want them to spill their coffee.

Oh ya forgot to mention.............now this is still and has been talked about for years but seems to come up more now that Waverly West is growing faster then expected, but the idea is one of those quick interchanges at the Perimeter, they want to flow the HWY that goes to La Salle, and Brady Land fill into one and then bring Waverly to it, thus making that mess less prone to accidents. Only issue is the rail tracks, I think they should have incorporated them into this plan as well, but I guess with the gas plant right there it may be an issue?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 3:18 PM

Accidents will happen, they always do... but if one of Centreport Winnipeg's key export markets is the United States, they HAVE to build an interchange to replace this intersection, (among other needed improvements to efficiently move truck traffic to Highway 75). I would suggest building it where Highway 2 meets the Perimeter (since the Highway 3 intersection is developed on all four corners).

But yes, I know... funding...

3 semis, SUV crash on Perimeter
CBC News
Posted: Aug 21, 2012 9:47 AM CT
Last Updated: Aug 21, 2012 9:46 AM C

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...-winnipeg.html

Three tractor trailers and an SUV pulling a trailer collided just after 8 a.m. where the highway intersects with Highway 3 (McGillivray Boulevard).

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 10:55 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Money issue aside, if the Feds have sorted it out anyways, wouldn't they have included in the plans to eventually convert any existing intersections that has to do with the overall route of CentrePort, as well as "offshoot" routes that lead to CentrePort, and be provided with improvements with either full interchanges or diamond interchanges?

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 6:47 AM

Do we even have any diamond interchanges in MB? CPT at Gateway had great potential for a diamond, lots of room, lots of dirt mounds, all we needed was a bridge. Instead they built a pedestrian-only bridge

I wonder what truckers think of our "superior" ring road. With all the at grade intersections and height restrictions under overpasses.

Oh Winnipeg...

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 4:40 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by original View Post
Do we even have any diamond interchanges in MB? CPT at Gateway had great potential for a diamond, lots of room, lots of dirt mounds, all we needed was a bridge. Instead they built a pedestrian-only bridge

I wonder what truckers think of our "superior" ring road. With all the at grade intersections and height restrictions under overpasses.

Oh Winnipeg...
The cost of diamond interchanges vs. the cost of lights is the main reason for this -- and we're not just talking the initial build.

The City (and most everyone) uses life-cycle costing, so you have to take into account the cost to maintain and operate the interchange. Just look at some of the "failing" infrastructure stories recently (Pools, Arenas, Parkade). An interchange wouldn't be much different, after about 50-60 years major rework would be needed, but the difference is once a bridge is there it's really hard to just close like you can with the above examples if you can't fund the work.

A light on the other hand has the original build plus replacing bulbs... Accidents that take down standards are paid for by MPI, which means complete replacement could potentially never be paid for by the City. After 50-60 years, you are looking at replacing the standards 8-14 times at the City's cost? (that is a bit of a guess).

Though I do like the idea of a diamond interchange at Peguis and Gateway, I don't think the means justify the ends, especially looking at other some of the other projects that require funds in the City.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
The cost of diamond interchanges vs. the cost of lights is the main reason for this -- and we're not just talking the initial build.

The City (and most everyone) uses life-cycle costing, so you have to take into account the cost to maintain and operate the interchange. Just look at some of the "failing" infrastructure stories recently (Pools, Arenas, Parkade). An interchange wouldn't be much different, after about 50-60 years major rework would be needed, but the difference is once a bridge is there it's really hard to just close like you can with the above examples if you can't fund the work.

A light on the other hand has the original build plus replacing bulbs... Accidents that take down standards are paid for by MPI, which means complete replacement could potentially never be paid for by the City. After 50-60 years, you are looking at replacing the standards 8-14 times at the City's cost? (that is a bit of a guess).

Though I do like the idea of a diamond interchange at Peguis and Gateway, I don't think the means justify the ends, especially looking at other some of the other projects that require funds in the City.
I overall agree. Ideally, less signalled intersections...it would be nice of course. More traffic flow and less stoppage especially on expressways is more ideal, I would assume, for any car drivers.

However realistically, given how tight budgets can be for these things for the city of Winnipeg, from the long term point of view, it makes sense to go with signalled intersections.

That said, some studies have shown more traffic flow (and thus less signalled intersections) can in fact be safer for a variety of reasons. I think the transformation of the perimeter highway, for instance, into a true freeway would be beneficial in all regards. Hopefully that happens one day if the annexation of the inner-ring road RMs comes to fruition

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 7:06 PM

Just an observation here, but take a look at the south end of Regina on Google Earth. The interchange clover rings become progressively larger as one looks west of Albert Street. The GTH ring will be massive in order to accomodate the multi-trailer trucks which it'll be encountering.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan