HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Nov 22, 2009, 9:08 AM

Hudson Park(Ottawa, Canada), almost completed. Two residential buildings that have some art deco influence.

Some pictures:http://www.flickr.com/photos/blix613...7601591205863/

Last edited by drawarc; Nov 22, 2009 at 9:25 AM.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 5:53 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

I think Jasoncw's questioning the terminology is an excellent question.

Art Deco seems to be grouped along with Modernism or pre-Modernism, but really it's not. True Art Deco buildings represent an abstracted classicism; that is, they used ornamentation as heavily as did the Beaux-Arts style (which was precisely what Modernism was railing against) but did so in a highly stylized and abstracted fashion (which is why we today often associate Art Deco with Modernism). I actually think that Art Deco, like the Prairie School, grew out of the fin-de-siècle Art Nouveau, especially that of Sullivan. If you think about it, both are not less-is-more types of antiornamentationism; rather, both Art Nouveau and Art Deco represent a stylized ornamentation, an architectural school and style that was nascent in the Americas and had a few brief flashes of fad before being steamrollered by the Rohian brand of the International Style in the postwar period.

Or has it? Postmodernism is very vague and general, yes, but in general I think the common thread throughout all postmodern buildings is a reaction to the austere brand of Modernism promoted by Rohe, Corb, Kahn, etc. and a desire to return to ornamentation and contextualization. Even though there are as many different brands of postmodernism as, quite literally, postmodern architectural houses, this desire for a return to ornamentation and excess seems to embody the postmodern spirit--and furthermore, since postmodernists seem concentrated in the U.S., home of Art Nouveau and Art Deco, I think you can build a case that there is an indigent American form of architecture at work here--a response to Victorianism in Art Nouveau, to Beaux-Arts in Art Deco, to Modernism in Postmodernism. A style which generally seeks abstracted, stylized ornamentation--but not one which has, as of yet, found its full expression (although the regard in which we hold Art Deco despite its faddiness suggests there's really something there).

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 11:23 AM
Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamTheArtist View Post
My bad on the Prairie Style thing... I had in mind what they often call Tulsas Fairgrounds Pavilion as being, they say its "Prairie Deco". The Prairie Deco motifs (versus saying Prairie Style) can be found on many buildings in Oklahoma, Nebraska, Kansas, etc. The designs often have: wheat grain, corn, buffalo, indians, livestock, native wild flowers, etc. throughout. There is also a "Pueblo Deco". Essentially each region had its own influence on decoration, versus copying from Europe.

However, I would say there is a lot of cross over between "Prairie Style" and some Art Deco styles. Both borrowed heavily from the highly stylized and geometric Native American designs. Zigzag Deco?

I have been thinking about this for some time now, trying to get a grasp of just what Art Deco really is. What defines it. I know it when I see it for the most part, though even here a building or work of art could be a mixture of styles. Perhaps only having "Deco cues" here an there which would then allow someone to call the building Art Deco, though many of its other motifs would scream Neo Classical or even Egyptian, etc.

Art Moderne, Art Deco, Streamline, Zigzag, Classic Moderne, Streamline Moderne, PWA Style,,, and there are probably a few other descriptors out there.

Art Deco is applied to buildings and objects that are so very different. Chevrons and zigzags are said to be a fundamental part of the deco style, but I have seen plenty of buildings that dont have a lick of either. Some have designs that are almost all linear, zigzags and chevrons. The ornate ceilings of the Guardian Building is one example, and there is a similar style in a building in Tulsa...repeating "indian blanket" patterns.

by me

here is an exterior shot by (PaulBrady flickr)

Yet then there are buildings that have flowing curves or are covered in swirling leaves and flower patterns. Some are made of traditional materials like brick and have only a few simple "deco cues" in stone or cement along the cornice or a simple pattern in the brickwork. Others are covered in steel, tile and glass.

I can see several, general, Deco Types and imagine categories for them.

STREAMLINE is probably the most obvious of the types, though even here its hard to draw a definite line as to what exactly defines the style and when the style stopped. When shopping for Art Deco Items in antique stores you see all kinds of radios, ashtrays, appliances, etc. for exampe that have a sleek, curvy, "streamline" look from the 50s... but would those things really be Art Deco?

ZIGZAG, is pretty easy to spot especially if you define it more narrowly than most might. Lots of "zigzag patterns" they can be curvy zig zags or very linear(often ,made up of tiles and brickwork). Again, you usually know it when you see it lol.

REGIONAL and or THEMED deco could be another group or category. Egyptian, Roman, Gothic, Italian, Prairie, Pueblo, Mayan,,,,, I can find examples of buildings that take an earlier style, say Egyptian or Roman, then "Art Deco" the design motifs. Roman columns and capitals become stylized to appear Art Deco for instance. I have seen Art Deco churches that take the Gothic Motifs and then change the angles and curves a bit to make the rose windows ,sculptures, etc, look Deco. You can take any element from any style and make it look "Deco".

Then there is another type that I cant quite find a word for... FLORAL/NATUREFORM? The designs are overflowing with natural elements; leaves, flowers, curly swirls, perhaps they have animals like long tail feathered birds, gazels, waves, fan shaps, etc.

INDUSTRIAL or PWA style. Has a strong industrial influence, bold heavy lines, strong figures, gears, machine elements, etc.

Each of these categories of course have examples in which several have been mixed together (a Miami Streamline with panels of Floraform,, Industrial with elements of Zigzag) or that are transitional between a couple of categories. But I also think that you can see definite, distinct examples of each which "set the tone" for that category and would not at all have much resemblance to the others.

Not saying that I am right, but as I have begun to study Art Deco more and more, I have noticed that a lot of buildings and artwork do seem to fall into fairly distinct branches or categories.
Wow - where to begin.

Art Deco got it's influences DIRECTLY from Eqyptian and Mayan and American Indian influences - but it started with the discovery of Tut's tomb and the colors and geometric patterns that were discovered there-in. The zigzag patterns are traced directly to the Egyptians - altho the other American Indian styles colorations also had a great influence. Later on, it incorporated Mayan and other South American design elements, but those are rare - the United Office Building in Niagara being unique in it's Mayan decorative elements.

Art Deco is in no way shape or form influenced by "Gothic". Gothic is just GOTHIC - it is not "Art Deco".

Just because something was built at the same time period that Art Deo occured, does not make it Art Deco!

Neither is Classical, Roman or Greek. They are and always be, just classical, roman or greek - NOT "Art Deco".

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
...since postmodernists seem concentrated in the U.S., home of Art Nouveau and Art Deco...
The US was certainly NOT the "home" of Art Nouveau - it was simultaneously occuring in France (known as the "Liberty Style"), as well as England, Germany and most other European, South American and even Asian countries. Nor was Art Deco - the US had much more of it because it was in the process of it's great growing spurt, so it would naturally have "more" of almost everything. The only thing one could say is that the US did indeed DOMINATE the production of Art Nouveay and Art Deco structures and design... Anybody who has even minimally studied basic Architectural History classes would know as much...

Last edited by JohnMarko; Feb 18, 2012 at 11:49 AM.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 11:34 AM
Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelJ View Post
Right...that's why I responded "Of course they are." Anything built today can be in the style of art deco, but isn't actual true art deco - because it's 2009, not 1930. I guess it's art deco revival?
Then I guess you haven't been to Las Vegas in the past few years...!!!

Anything that has been designed in the past surely can be recreated new in the present or even future time! It is preposterous to think it can't.

All can quibble over what the term would be - "neo" or "revival" - just like they did when Washington DC was created orginally, and re-created during the Federalism boom immediately preceding, during, and after WWII.

The same process/arguments over style was had during the construction of the GOTHIC style UK and Canadian Parliament buildings. Likewise with the many styles Chicago Tribune Tower competition and eventual GOTHIC style winner.

The present Ceasar's Palace on Las Vegas actually a quite good recreation of HIGH RISE Roman Architecture - if Roman Architecture has been allowed to progress to the point of producing high-rises...

Last edited by JohnMarko; Feb 18, 2012 at 11:52 AM.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 4:40 PM

Art Deco lives. The Smith Center in Las Vegas is going to open next month:

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 6:00 PM

Simon Hall in Indiana University opened up three years ago or so:

It's a great mixture of neo-gothic and art moderne.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 6:45 PM

I consider One57 to be a modern building with an Art Deco style look to it.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 6:49 PM
Khurram Parvaz

The Shangri-La Hotel Towers in Dubai (yes DUBAI), have a considerable amount of Art-Deco influence.

ALSO in Dubai are the TWIN Chrysler Buildings.

The Emirates Marina is one of the better looking Post Modern/(Deco influenced) Buildings in Dubai.

AND a good looking building in Dubai (also AD influenced) (Marina Crown)

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMarko View Post
Wow - where to begin.

Art Deco got it's influences DIRECTLY from Eqyptian and Mayan and American Indian influences - but it started with the discovery of Tut's tomb and the colors and geometric patterns that were discovered there-in. The zigzag patterns are traced directly to the Egyptians - altho the other American Indian styles colorations also had a great influence. Later on, it incorporated Mayan and other South American design elements, but those are rare - the United Office Building in Niagara being unique in it's Mayan decorative elements.

Art Deco is in no way shape or form influenced by "Gothic". Gothic is just GOTHIC - it is not "Art Deco".

Just because something was built at the same time period that Art Deo occured, does not make it Art Deco!

Neither is Classical, Roman or Greek. They are and always be, just classical, roman or greek - NOT "Art Deco".

The US was certainly NOT the "home" of Art Nouveau - it was simultaneously occuring in France (known as the "Liberty Style"), as well as England, Germany and most other European, South American and even Asian countries. Nor was Art Deco - the US had much more of it because it was in the process of it's great growing spurt, so it would naturally have "more" of almost everything. The only thing one could say is that the US did indeed DOMINATE the production of Art Nouveay and Art Deco structures and design... Anybody who has even minimally studied basic Architectural History classes would know as much...
The U.S. has Art Nouveau buildings?

I always considered Art Nouveau European and Art Deco quintessentially American (there are really only very few Art Deco structures in Europe).

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 7:27 PM
Khurram Parvaz

The World Wide Plaza built in 1989 (Post Modern) but HEAVY Art Deco influence

The Scholastic Building built in 1995.

1001 5th Ave

695 5th Ave

How can anyone forget the beautiful WFC

The Four Season Hotel Midtown

The future 99 Church Street

Art Deco is still alive, but seldom.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 8:29 PM

Yikes, there's a lot of dreck in here. Here's another recent deco building, One St. Thomas in Toronto:

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 8:38 PM

Pelli's Wells Fargo Center in Minneapolis (1988):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wells_F...Minneapolis%29

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 8:42 PM
Khurram Parvaz

^ He definitely got an inspiration from the GE Building. Pelli is awesome, (Wells Fargo, WFC, Petronas Towers, and....)

The Bank of America Corporate Center

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 8:45 PM
Khurram Parvaz

US Bank Tower (Los Angeles) partly Art Deco inspired

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 8:46 PM
Khurram Parvaz

The Key Tower in Cleveland.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 8:52 PM
Khurram Parvaz

The Williams Tower in Houston a modern take on Art Deco setbacks.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 8:53 PM
Khurram Parvaz

900 North Michigan Chicago has Art Deco features.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 9:21 PM
Khurram Parvaz

Things like the setbacks and crown of the Chase Tower in Indianapolis evoke some Art Deco.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 9:22 PM
Khurram Parvaz

Many people over look the Cityspire Center in NYC, but look closely and you will see a modern version of Art Deco buildings (ex. World Building)

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 9:26 PM
Khurram Parvaz

191 Peachtree Tower built in 1991.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture