HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
Remember the scented watches?
I have those lying around in one of the boxes

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 4:42 PM

No building permits yet for the old Roots location or their possible new home at 929 Robson.

And Payless Shoes is just something short term until they figure out the 800 Granville rezoning I assume. Seems like it's a Halloween shop?

https://www.merchantofdream.com/

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 6:07 PM

The Body Shop Canada to close 33 stores, end online sales

The Body Shop will close 33 of its Canadian stores and end online sales, the Canadian subsidiary of the U.K. beauty and cosmetics shop announced.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/the...sing-1.7131045

Kinda sad to see this one go (well 1/3 of the stores for now.. but we know how that usually ends)...

Ron.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 6:54 PM

Royal Bank is moving into the old HSBC in Yaletown.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Royal Bank is moving into the old HSBC in Yaletown.
Well, Royal Bank bought HSBC's Canadian operations.

But I have to imagine they will close the Pacific Blvd RBC location that's pretty much across the street.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 3:39 PM

So out of curiosity... will the Bay finally initiate bankruptcy proceedings when their last elevator breaks down?

The main escalators now are broken, there is no direct access from pacific centre anymore, the main floor has a growing odour from the water leak issue they had, which seems to be just covered and has no work being done. They have closed down partial floors and a lot of their sales seem very liquidation style (example woman's shoes area has big sections of inventory priced at 9.99, 19.99 etc). A lot of empty shelves.

The bay was never great for shopping in my opinion but its truly sad to see this hallowed brand being absolutely run into the ground.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKB View Post
So out of curiosity... will the Bay finally initiate bankruptcy proceedings when their last elevator breaks down?

The main escalators now are broken, there is no direct access from pacific centre anymore, the main floor has a growing odour from the water leak issue they had, which seems to be just covered and has no work being done. They have closed down partial floors and a lot of their sales seem very liquidation style (example woman's shoes area has big sections of inventory priced at 9.99, 19.99 etc). A lot of empty shelves.

The bay was never great for shopping in my opinion but its truly sad to see this hallowed brand being absolutely run into the ground.
Man, I was in there a few weeks ago and it has really gone downhill. The escalators not working was one thing - some of them have been like that for years - but 1/4 elevators operating, huge swaths of empty space everywhere...it's really, genuinely sad. The building is beautiful and if I'm going to shop at a department store I'd rather support a Canadian company than anything else.

Still mourning Nordstrom, though.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 7:43 PM
Blazed Member - Citygater

yup it is a HUGE joke what a shit show THE BAY is now.

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 12:02 AM

I remember reading that article a few months back that a number of their suppliers or the places they buy from stopped shipping products to them and it's getting noticeable now. One of them seems to be the Polo Ralph Lauren stock is not getting replenished.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 5:34 AM

Total first-world problem but I am already mentally preparing myself for the inevitability that I'm going to have to start schlepping my way out to Metrotown to get Nespresso capsules once the Bay closes downtown. But that's just it, it speaks volumes about what the Bay is now, I would only go there to get a product sold out of a concession and wouldn't shop there otherwise.

Like others here, I really hope they can figure out a proper turnaround and get a much needed capital injection, but it's hard when your owners only seem concerned with the value of the real estate and not the retail.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 12:37 PM
life in the present

Anyone know of other downtown flagship Hudson's Bays are in such dire states, Toronto, Montreal, Calgary? I know the escalator in the Park Royal location has been out of service for months.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 5:26 PM

Toronto got that renovation to combine it with Saks so it's probably in better shape. I wonder if they even have the resources to dump money into an Oakridge opening at this point.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connect2source View Post
Anyone know of other downtown flagship Hudson's Bays are in such dire states, Toronto, Montreal, Calgary? I know the escalator in the Park Royal location has been out of service for months.
Calgary's shrank with adding two restaurants and an event space, plus a floor or two for a tech company. It has needed a renewal for a while.

The entire chain feels like they're waiting until their leases/owned properties are worth enough to sell.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 9:45 PM
life in the present

On that note, Macy's is closing 150 more locations including the iconic downtown San Francisco flagship on Union Square. Guess they and Hudson's Bay are on death watch.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 11:36 PM
life in the present

Swatch, 1100 block Robson, is now open.
Photos by me:

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 1:02 AM

Adidas applied for a new sign permit for an Adidas logo on the Terrex store on West 4th

Quote:
to install an illuminated fascia sign on the south elevation of this existing commercial building as follows: adidas LOGO - no copy
https://plposweb.vancouver.ca/Public...ctId=225995687

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Toronto got that renovation to combine it with Saks so it's probably in better shape. I wonder if they even have the resources to dump money into an Oakridge opening at this point.
Except weren't the Bay Vancouver's downtown elevators recently redone?

Anyway, it must be catching: the escalator at the Bay in Richmond yesterday:

[IMG]IMG_8380 by bcborn, on Flickr[/IMG]
my photo

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 6:47 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Is there a people-moving device that breaks down more than elevators? Every city I've lived in has this issue.

The problem with Metro Vancouver is that the few maintenance companies in the area can't keep up with the demand. I'd think it would be a good business to get into.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
Is there a people-moving device that breaks down more than elevators? Every city I've lived in has this issue.

The problem with Metro Vancouver is that the few maintenance companies in the area can't keep up with the demand. I'd think it would be a good business to get into.
Escalators?

Elevator maintenance is a racket. A few companies control the market, and there are some restrictions on the number of new people entering the trade as I understand it.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Toronto eaton centre has escalators down as well. But the overall condition of the space is nowhere near as bad as Vancouver.

Lots of empty shelves in Toronto however.

Metrotown you have to leave the store to go between floors, but the fact that there is zero access from Pacific centre blows my mind. Seems related to the water leak incident. They had staff situated downstairs to direct customers. I'm not sure why they don't just close that entrance entirely, can't see the zellers offering doing much business.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy