HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 7:45 AM

Why is it so hard to stop something that's illegal when it starts up. Start impounding these people's cars and they'll get the message.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
Why is it so hard to stop something that's illegal when it starts up. Start impounding these people's cars and they'll get the message.
It is a joke. Somehow Uber was shut down quickly and efficiently.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 5:15 PM

On one of the local TV news station, they tried to use the service but the driver refused to take them because they didn't speak Chinese.

How this can possibly be permitted to operate completely befuddles me.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 7:03 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

There is a serious lack of enforcement all around the lower mainland. It's not just illegal rideshares. Businesses operating without licenses. Marijuana stalls downtown, illegal secondary suites in pretty well ever single new house. Councils are too scared to get staff to enforce the rules.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 7:08 PM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
On one of the local TV news station, they tried to use the service but the driver refused to take them because they didn't speak Chinese.

How this can possibly be permitted to operate completely befuddles me.
It's racist.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 7:17 PM
See ya down under, mates

Not just racist but also not allowed to operate.

This kind of stuff is why I'm leaving BC/Canada instead of just moving to the island or something. Our government is useless on all levels.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 7:23 PM

lots of chinese owned restaurants only take cash to avoid paying taxes.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
It is a joke. Somehow Uber was shut down quickly and efficiently.
It's because it's run by minorities and caters to minorities. And if they shut them down, then some SJW snowflake would start crying racism and there will be a collective screeching from their bandwagon that will deafen us all.

I don't need more tinnitus.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 8:39 PM
See ya down under, mates

"SJW snowflakes" don't have a problem with shutting down illegal businesses that cater to one nationality only. There's no need for /r/the_donald style shit on this forum.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
There is a serious lack of enforcement all around the lower mainland. It's not just illegal rideshares. Businesses operating without licenses. Marijuana stalls downtown, illegal secondary suites in pretty well ever single new house. Councils are too scared to get staff to enforce the rules.
that is very true. go back about 20 years and there was much more enforcement of the rules. but over the years it has all gone down and changed. for whatever reason enforcing the rules doesn't seem to be much of a goal anymore. it is more of a free-for-all really.

there is a restaurant i know of in Vancouver that serves liquor on its patio; it has never had a permit for the patio, and the liquor licence only allows sales inside the restaurant; not on a patio.

it has been around for years and no one has actually shut that down. so idk.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 9:22 AM

Vancouver is 'car-sharing capital of North America,' report says

City home to around 3,000 vehicles in sharing networks, more than any other on continent
By Liam Britten, CBC News Posted: Jan 26, 2018 6:59 AM PT Last Updated: Jan 26, 2018 6:59 AM PT

Bike lanes aren't the only things growing on Vancouver's streets.

According to Vancity, Vancouver is the "car-sharing capital of North America," with more vehicles per capita than any other city on the continent.

Vancity says that could be contributing to a reduction in greenhouse-gas emissions.

"Indications are that car-sharing provides environmental benefits, but we need more research to determine the extent," Anthonia Ogundele, Vancity's manager of environmental sustainability, said in a statement.

"In the meantime, as car-sharing grows in popularity, it's important for car-sharing companies to continue to look for opportunities to incorporate low-emissions vehicles into their fleets."

On Friday, Vancity published the results of a survey that asked more than 4,000 car-share subscribers in B.C. why they used the services.

Convenience and saving money were cited as the top two reasons, but wanting to help the environment was also highlighted by about 60 per cent of respondents.

A little more than 25 per cent of respondents said they were able to say goodbye to one privately owned vehicle thanks to car sharing.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...-evo-1.4504926

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
lots of chinese owned restaurants only take cash to avoid paying taxes.
You don't say. Just Chinese restaurants, and not all those mom and pop western restraints and not trying to make some cash on the side.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 2:39 AM

Cars2Go (or one of the other similar services) needs to begin to service the Tsawwassen ferry terminal as well as the Swartz Bay terminal. I would use it and probably save money by not taking a car on the ferry.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
You don't say. Just Chinese restaurants, and not all those mom and pop western restraints and not trying to make some cash on the side.
i am sure they do too. But its well known lots of restaurants in richmond are cash only.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 4:32 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Getting off topic...

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 9:47 PM

Last night, I asked a cab driver what his thoughts on the Uber situation in Vancouver is and he told me that Uber is likely not gonna happen because there is too much money changing hands and too much political stalling.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cganuelas1995 View Post
Last night, I asked a cab driver what his thoughts on the Uber situation in Vancouver is and he told me that Uber is likely not gonna happen because there is too much money changing hands and too much political stalling.
The report was released today. No surprises, Weaver seems to think it's doable this year.

Uber will be broke by the time it's legalized here.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 1:20 AM
SkyTrain Nut

So with the illegal services still expanding, what again prevents the police or bylaw from say, hailing a car and handing them a ticket/vehicle impoundment once they show up?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
So with the illegal services still expanding, what again prevents the police or bylaw from say, hailing a car and handing them a ticket/vehicle impoundment once they show up?
I think it has to do with discretion. Someone, or some people, are either paying off or getting off, someone, or some people, in power. We just have to figure out what their prices are, or what gets them off.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 8:24 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure