HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 3:38 PM

Re: dockless bikes, I'm sitting in Dunkin Donuts and there was a guy right out the window on an Ofo bike that definitely had the lock and gps cut off. Some nice ingenuity.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 3:56 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Re: dockless bikes, I'm sitting in Dunkin Donuts and there was a guy right out the window on an Ofo bike that definitely had the lock and gps cut off. Some nice ingenuity.
On my ride to work this morning, I passed one with the front wheel removed. The Ofo bikes definitely appear cheaper than the GRID ones. Their fenders are plastic for example. They don't seem designed to last.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 5:18 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
I noticed one at Hance yesterday that had the lock mechanism removed. Nice that the homeless now have a way to get free bikes.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 8:09 PM

Lyft to test monthly subscription ride-share service in Phoenix
MAY 10, 2018 BY KTAR.COM
Quote:
PHOENIX — Lyft announced Tuesday that some of its Phoenix customers will be invited to test a new subscription-based service, as the ride-sharing company looks to position itself as a cost-effective alternative to car ownership.
How much will it cost me?
Quote:
Lyft Pass, as the test service is being called, will cost $200 for a month and will provide up to $15 off of 30 rides, which would come to a value of $450.
Sounds like a heck of a deal?
Quote:
“This is going to be reserved for select high-frequency passengers in the Phoenix area,” Drena Kusari, Lyft’s southwest region general manager, told KTAR News 92.3 FM.
I've read a few pieces recently on 'ride-hailing' and 'ride-sharing' and how this might evolve. There's potential benefit for both to compliment transit as well as be a first- and last-mile component. Not all cities have the high density to fully benefit from rail or even bus transit. But with improvements in service and accessibility options, lower density places can serve the public just as well. Many cities, for example, are sponsoring their own shuttle or van services.... like Tempe.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
MAY 10, 2018 BY KTAR.COM

I've read a few pieces recently on 'ride-hailing' and 'ride-sharing' and how this might evolve. There's potential benefit for both to compliment transit as well as be a first- and last-mile component. Not all cities have the high density to fully benefit from rail or even bus transit. But with improvements in service and accessibility options, lower density places can serve the public just as well. Many cities, for example, are sponsoring their own shuttle or van services.... like Tempe.
Pretty interesting. I wonder what the cost would be for basically unlimited rides rather than a limited number of discounted rides. Regardless, I'm already in a 1 bike, 1 car family, so I'm unlikely to pay for the service. But if I had 2 cars, I would be pretty interested in running the numbers to see if I would come out ahead by getting rid of 1 car and using Lyft instead.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 8:58 PM
self-important urbanista

There used to be a locally-based service called RubyRide that offered unlimited rides in exchange for a monthly subscription fee. I believe it has gone out of business. It will be interesting to see if Lyft can make this work.

Personally, I think the market is limited. Most people willing to spend hundreds of dollars per month on transport via car will probably want the perceived advantages of owning one's own vehicle, including self-expression, storage of personal property, and safe seating for child passengers. The one population that might prove to be a ready market for this service could be those who can afford a car and prefer to travel that way but cannot drive due to disability, medical restrictions, or a suspended license. I'm not sure how big that market is, though.

Last edited by exit2lef; May 12, 2018 at 12:31 PM.

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 5:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Personally, I think the market is limited. Most people willing to spend hundreds of dollars per month on transport via car will probably want the perceived advantages of owning one's own vehicle...
I can't disagree as things currently stand. But the world keeps changing and within a decade congestion will return in spades. Additionally the schism between rich and poor grows. I still anticipate a growing need for transit over the long term even if the last few years would question that.

I do think that ride-sharing to the nearest bus or train stop will make more sense for more people over time.

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 5:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
MAY 10, 2018 BY KTAR.COM

In the future cities will likely subsidize that $200 cost [or whatever the cost is] of the consumer because it'll be cheaper to do this than to build, expand and maintain infrastructure and will cut labor costs to run these quasi governmental regional transit authorities.

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 10:41 PM
Skyriser

^ I see these supplanting shuttles, circulators, and last-mile service, but that's really what it's supposed to do.

Cities are far too choked with traffic for these to replace larger-distance regional rail service, especially at rush hour, and the cost is much too great.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 2:10 AM
Modulator

working on regulating dockless bike companies

Quote:
City of Tempe working on regulating dockless bike companies

https://www.abc15.com/news/region-so...bike-companies

This is my take on it. Went for a walk along AZ Canal in Scottsdale near Pima and I saw 3 Ofo's at the bottom of the canal.

EDIT: Fixed the pic size. Sorry about that.

Last edited by CrestedSaguaro; May 16, 2018 at 3:41 PM.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 6:13 AM

Regarding ride-hailing, ride-sharing and transit, there's been a couple of good articles recently.

Lyft and Uber Can Save Transit — if Transit Gets on Board
March 22, 2018 by Daniel Sperling, Ph.D and Steven Polzin, Ph.D.

Are Uber and Lyft helping or hurting public transit?
May 8, 2018 By Patrick Sisson/Curbed Transportation

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 6:03 PM

Hello All,

I was on the inaugural flight on last Friday afternoon. I flew on Condor. I took nonstop from PHX-FRA by operated 767-300ER and the registration number is D-ABUS. We have a nice flight, but we have a turbulence. I have stay in the seat during rough air. So I ate dinner and I ate pasta. It's very delicious. I sleep on the plane, but I couldn't see a sunrise. They want to shade down during sunrise. I couldn't see a sunrise. I was sleeping on the plane. So I woke up a breakfast time before landing into FRA. I ate dinner rolls with ham & cheese and pineapple, as well. So now, I already now in Basel. I visit to see my brother for a week and I'm flying back home to PHX via FRA. I take on Condor. I will be on next flight back to PHX on May 25.

PS. I was follow the flight tracker, but I watch a movies & TV, too.

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Hello All,

I was on the inaugural flight on last Friday afternoon. I flew on Condor. I took nonstop from PHX-FRA by operated 767-300ER and the registration number is D-ABUS. We have a nice flight, but we have a turbulence. I have stay in the seat during rough air. So I ate dinner and I ate pasta. It's very delicious. I sleep on the plane, but I couldn't see a sunrise. They want to shade down during sunrise. I couldn't see a sunrise. I was sleeping on the plane. So I woke up a breakfast time before landing into FRA. I ate dinner rolls with ham & cheese and pineapple, as well. So now, I already now in Basel. I visit to see my brother for a week and I'm flying back home to PHX via FRA. I take on Condor. I will be on next flight back to PHX on May 25.

PS. I was follow the flight tracker, but I watch a movies & TV, too.
Congratulations. How full was the flight?

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 9:05 PM

I suppose this is transportation related, I had my first experience with Ofo today. Had lunch at Subway over by the college and tried to ride a bike back to my office. Two bikes that were on the map I could not find, one bike that was not on the map unlocked and as I got on the chain was skipping and the bike was not usable.

I don't know what other people have thought of them but that was a one shot and done for me.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 9:52 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
I suppose this is transportation related, I had my first experience with Ofo today. Had lunch at Subway over by the college and tried to ride a bike back to my office. Two bikes that were on the map I could not find, one bike that was not on the map unlocked and as I got on the chain was skipping and the bike was not usable.

I don't know what other people have thought of them but that was a one shot and done for me.
On way to one of my offices this morning, I saw an Ofo sitting in the bulk trash pickup on the street with a broken seat post. Over the weekend, I seen one that was unlocked with a flat tire and the handlebars turned at 45 degrees. These bikes are cheap trash. I would not feel safe riding on one knowing that parts could break any time. I'm pretty sure the reason Ofo's are showing up with homeless are because of the low quality and ease of breaking off the combo lock.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 9:54 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post

I haven't tried one, but they look flimsy compared to the GRID bikes. I passed one this morning that was lying on the ground, abandoned and in disrepair. The front tire and fender were somehow perpendicular to each other.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 9:39 PM

Metrocenter here we come

Light Rail On The Way To Metrocenter Mall In Phoenix
Monday, May 21, 2018 By Christina Estes/KJZZ
Quote:
Phoenix City Council members recently approved a $25 million payment to Valley Metro. It’s meant to cover final design and pre-construction services for a 1.6 mile extension
Oh Boy... remind me what's involved.
Quote:
The project will include three new stations, two park and ride lots and a new transit center at Metrocenter. Council action will be needed to approve more spending once real estate and construction costs are calculated. The line is expected to open in 2023.
I actually heard this a few days ago on KJZZ. Hopefully the costs calculated don't follow the pattern of other metro areas where project costs are often running twenty-five percent over original estimates. Either way this is a relatively modest project.

Side topic
I recently used Minneapolis and their ongoing clustermess with respect to a proposed new SW Corridor light rail line in order to find a good peer city's current costs for light rail. Answer for them is $140 million per mile but as the article points out costs are rising rapidly.

I recall well the popularity of Metrocenter back in the 1970's and am looking forward to light rail making this extension-connection.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 9:55 PM
self-important urbanista

^Interestingly, one crucial piece of infrastructure is not mentioned: a new bridge over I-17. On the east side of the freeway, it would align with Mountain View. On the west side, it would be near the funky building that currently houses a Souper Salad restaurant. (I believe it was originally a bank.) Last I heard, it's supposed to be a multi-modal bridge for express buses, trains, pedestrians, and bicycles -- not private cars. I'm not sure if that's still the plan.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 10:00 PM

One of my clients is part of the design team for the company doing the bridge, he says it's still in early phases but will cross about at Cheryl.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 10:13 PM
self-important urbanista

^Thanks. After thinking about this a little more, I think the new bridge may permit access to the I-17 HOV lanes, so I may have overstated things when I said no private cars.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest