HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
I think that building #1 is the Rosewood United Methodist Church with a different color roof. The tower is hidden by the trees behind the street lamp. The CHP building changed sometime between 1972 and 1980 (going by Historic Aerials), but I think that building #2 is the Departartment of Transportation building (impound yard?) just below at 411 N Vermont. Other than things moving around the roof, it has retained the same footprint since 1972.

Google Maps
Wow, good eye, HossC! You're clearly correct about the church roof. I thought the structure in the old photograph was some kind of wall, but it's simply the church roof in a different color.

PS: The Department of Transportation is the building I meant when I said Highway Patrol building in my previous post - I thought it was the parking structure of the Highway Patrol building.

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 6:20 PM

Architectural question

Here is the Rosewood United Methodist Church from HossC's post, above.

GSV

The building's gables, seen left and right, actually rise above the height of the building's roof.

Is there a name for this specific kind of gable? Or is it simply a parapet?

Quote:
“Where extending above a roof, a parapet may simply be the portion of an exterior wall that continues above the line of the roof surface” - Wikipedia
Quote:
“General Definition of Parapet: The extension of a masonry wall above the roof line.” - thoughtco.com

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 9:05 PM

NLA regains missing photos!

Good news!

On March 13th I wrote the quoted post below; a little over two months later, PHOTOBUCKET has answered it!

Business
Photobucket Restores Photos “Taken Hostage,” Hopes to Lure Back Customers with Cheaper Plans After Last Year’s $399 Debacle
Long-time Denver photo site reorganizes with new management and much cheaper price plans
--Denver Post

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/05/1...hosting-plans/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Hey noirishers...

I wrote this almost three years ago. NoirCityDame answered it with a couple segments from the L.A. Times, I wondered if anyone with access to the LAT info could re-create the article posts? (I don't know if that's time consuming or possible, but if so, many thanks if you can.) Unfortunately, the photo that accompanied the post was from eBay. I still think there must be photos somewhere of this event that no one has discovered yet. It was a pretty big deal, I'd say.

Quote:
Speaking of Union Station, a couple months ago when I was looking up information about the First Interstate Bank building fire in 1988, I found this LINK which had this intriguing item:

"A Yuletide Disaster at Union Station" -- The fire that took place at Union Station on December 12, 1942, may not have caused the same sort of damage the First Interstate blaze did, but it must have put a damper on Downtown's Christmas spirits. 7000 bags of mail -- more than 35 tons - went up in smoke that day when a carelessly tossed cigarette set fire to a canvas tent under which they were being stored. Both incoming and outgoing mail was included. Sleds, dolls, baby buggies, boxes of candy, clothing and jewelry were found when fire crews sorted through the packages looking for any lingering embers.

I haven't had any luck finding anything else about this occurrence (especially photos) which must have been covered in the newspapers. I had never heard about a fire at Union Station before, has anyone else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noircitydame View Post
The fire in 1942. I did find a report of it in the LA Times, 12-13-42. It didn't take long to finger the suspect for it- Jimmy Jordan, age 16. Poor Jimmy- I hope the FBI wasn't too hard on him.
LAT 12-14-42

This was the only picture I came across, via eBay. Not the greatest and has the dreaded watermark.
ebay

P.S.: So many things I seem to ever search for again bring up posts from NoirCityDame. Thumbs up to her. Thumbs down to Photobucket. Or maybe a middle finger.

I'll put away my thumbs and/or fingers now.

Anyone have photos they want to see again? Better copy them into a folder on your desktop now...you never know.

From post "below":

Historic Images

Last edited by Martin Pal; Jan 26, 2023 at 7:15 PM.

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Anyone have photos they want to see again? Better copy them into a folder on your desktop now...you never know.
I really hope someone is archiving the entire forum, photos and text, right from page one.

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 9:33 PM

Quote:

On March 13th I wrote the quoted post below; a little over two months later, PHOTOBUCKET has answered it!

Business
Photobucket Restores Photos “Taken Hostage,” Hopes to Lure Back Customers with Cheaper Plans After Last Year’s $399 Debacle
Long-time Denver photo site reorganizes with new management and much cheaper price plans
--Denver Post

That's great news, Martin. My favorite part of the article? "[Former CEO John] Corpus is no longer with the company." Let's hope he's found a new job that better reflects his talents!

If I read the article correctly, it looks like they're going to be offering an intermediate account (10Gb storage) with 3rd-party hosting for $1.99/month for a limited time, while they monitor public response. That's even cheaper than when I started paying.

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvaroLegido View Post
I saw yesterday « The Brasher Doubloon » (1947) on YouTube based on « The High Window » by Raymond Chandler.
They are several nice screenshots (for those who know how to get them) to post and comment...
OK, I'll bite. The quality of the video at YouTube is atrocious, so I hadda track down a DVD.

First, the Gladden Apartments at 100 South Olive, starring as the Florence Apartments.

[source: 20th Century Fox Cinema Archives]

The only other exterior location I spotted is The Rindge House at 2263 South Harvard Blvd. Philip Marlowe approaches it at the start of the movie and intones via voice-over: "I was sore at myself for coming all the way out to Pasadena on a day like that."

One more thing caught my eye: Marlowe seems curiously unconcerned that the Broadway Hollywood building creeps ever closer to his office window over the course of the film.

"Man, how I hate summer winds. They come in suddenly off the Mojave Desert and you can taste sand for a week."

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 11:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Good news!

Business
--Denver Post

I'll put away my thumbs and/or fingers now.

I tried to make payment to Photobucket.....didn't work. But hopefully things will work out. Our bitching and moaning last summer may be at an end. But as I said earlier, the Internet is a jungle.

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 11:36 PM

Historic Images

Oops, I didn't know that I'd posted this photo yesterday until just now, I was looking at the post about
the mail fire in the courtyard of Union Station and had found this other related one that I hadn't seen
before and was going to do some other looking about first, but I guess I hit the wrong button. Anyway,
that's what this photo is about.

By the way, in the original L.A. Times caption for this photo (12-13-42) they wrote that the fireman is
holding a banjo.

Last edited by Martin Pal; May 21, 2018 at 5:09 PM. Reason: Text!

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Charles View Post
The building's gables, seen left and right, actually rise above the height of the building's roof.

Is there a name for this specific kind of gable? Or is it simply a parapet?
This is just a plainer variation of the curvy Dutch gable or a stepped gable. They all can be called parapet gables.

..................................................................................................................

ETA, Thx so much MP for the photo of the club building back in the day when the brick was rendered (the whole inside of the building was also stripped back to the bare brick with the ceiling rafters exposed when I knew it). I always wondered what it originally looked like. We had some good times there.

Quote:

Hollywood Photographs
Apparently, at one time, 1608 Cosmo was a no name bar. Last I heard it was called the Brick Box Theater.

Last edited by tovangar2; May 21, 2018 at 3:49 AM.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
This is just a plainer variation of the curvy Dutch gable or a stepped gable. They all can be called parapet gables.
Thank-you, tovangar2 - I truly appreciate it!

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 6:03 AM

Thanks so much for your help with the two 1977 photographs BillinGlendaleCA, Scott Charles and HossC.

DETAIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillinGlendaleCA View Post
We're here to help, ER. The car has just passed over Glendale Blvd.
The green area beside the freeway is now tennis courts and a baseball diamond at Temple and Glendale.
The houses you see are on Temple and are still there!
Quelle surprise....is it just me, or do those houses look like they're right next to the freeway?

WHEN ACTUALLY.....

google earth

That's quite a distance.

For comparison; here's how the houses look today.

looking east on Temple St. from Glendale Blvd.

GSV

_

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 7:12 AM

Lorendoc, thanks for locating the 'Sweet Sixteen Foundation & Grill in WeeGee's photograph. I really appreciate it.

Fashion icon WeeGee, 1952

icp.org

The lovely lady is unknown. The photograph was Peter Gowland.

I'M KIDDING ABOUT WEEGEE BEING A FASHION ICON
______

PHOTO #2

"WeeGee and movie actress Dorothy Hart." [c.1948]

Now I know why Dorothy Hart became a nun.

www.icp.org / PHOTOGRAPHER UNKNOWN

CORRECTION: Dorothy Hart did NOT become a nun. It was actress Dolores Hart who became a nun.

UPDATE: just found this 2nd photo from the event.

Moments before WeeGee planted that big smooch on Dolores.

icp.org / c.1948

You can see more of the background in this one.

Can any of you fine sleuths figure out the location by the clues? (I'd guess a theater)....a premier perhaps.

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 21, 2018 at 7:40 AM.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 7:49 AM

Candid photograph of Dorothy Hart.

EBAY

Yes indeedy.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 5:23 PM

"Marsh Children on Fair Oaks, about 1910."

oldtimeycats, also oac.cdib

I don't know if these children are related to Robert Marsh who lived at 1119 Westchester. (thanks GW)

His Westchester home was the subject of a mystery post HERE.

Maybe someone (I'm looking at you oldstuff) can dig up some information on the extended family of Robert Marsh. (or perhaps GW knows)
__

Here's a closer look at the businesses across the street.

detail

I believe they're mostly real estate offices. (but I'm not sure about the building at far right)

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 21, 2018 at 5:34 PM.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 5:52 PM

'mystery' location.

"Weegee photographing mannequins in Mickey Ward's L.A. Camera Exchange's window display." [c.1951] UNIDENTIFIED PHOTOGRAPHER

INTERNATIONAL CENTER OF PHOTOGRAPHY

Has anyone heard of Mickey Ward's before?

At first glance I thought this was NYC.

_

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

I don't know if these children are related to Robert Marsh who lived at 1119 Westchester. (thanks GW)

Maybe someone (I'm looking at you oldstuff) can dig up some information on the extended family of Robert Marsh. (or perhaps GW knows)
To help out oldstuff, here's the description that goes with the photo:

"Marion and Leroy Marsh, children of architect Norman Foote Marsh, proudly display their pet cat, about 1911 near the Marsh home at Fair Oaks and Mission Avenue. Photograph courtesy of Marion Marsh."

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 5:58 PM

I didn't see the description or I would have included it. -sorry

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 6:17 PM

Here's a fantastic snapshot of six young ladies posing by a large Montgomery Ward sign.

"Flapper Women Montgomery Ward Co Sign Loma Vista Ave Los Angeles California 1929"

EBAY NO LONGER LISTED

I wonder if they're employees.

_

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 6:55 PM

Quote:

'mystery' location.

"Weegee photographing mannequins in Mickey Ward's L.A. Camera Exchange's window display." [c.1951] UNIDENTIFIED PHOTOGRAPHER

INTERNATIONAL CENTER OF PHOTOGRAPHY
I found this advert for Sid Klein's L.A. Camera Exchange in the April 1948 edition of Popular Photography - ND.

books.google.com.

Mickey Ward may have taken over this business (or at least the Hollywood store), but he was killed in a car crash in 1953 (two years after the Weegee photo). From the Nevada State Journal Sunday, September 27, 1953:
M.S. (Mickey) Ward, 55-year-old executive of the Hollywood, Calif., camera exchange, was killed instantly early yesterday when the car he was driving sideswiped a truck near Las Vegas. The Clark County sheriff's office reported the mishap occurred shortly before 5 a.m. on U.S. Highway 91, 65 miles northeast of here, near Mormon Mesa. Ward was en route to Utah for a deer hunting trip. Sheriff's deputies said Ward, driving alone, crossed over the white center line and sideswiped a truck. The car rolled nearly 125 feet down an embankment and landed on top of Ward's body. The truck skidded across the road, snapped off a telegraph pole and came to rest precariously balanced on the edge of the embankment. The driver was not injured.
The 1956 CD lists the L.A. Camera Exchange across the street from 1638 at 1623 N Cahuenga Boulevard. Could this be the building in the Weegee shot?

GSV

ETA. I've just found this photo which apparently shows Weegee himself outside the L.A. Camera Exchange. There's no sign of Mickey Ward's name or a street number.
NB. This image was headed "Weegee Distorted", and was originally stretched out. I've squashed it back to something approaching the correct ratio.

"Polish-born American photographer Arthur Fellig (1899 - 1969) stands outside the LA Camera Exchange shop in Los Angeles, which is advertising a Weegee event. (Photo by Weegee(Arthur Fellig)/International Center of Photography/Getty Images)"

www.gettyimages.com

Last edited by HossC; May 21, 2018 at 7:53 PM. Reason: Added Getty image.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 7:54 PM

Quote:

LAPL

Dug around a little... no images of Marsh's house found, unless you count the one indicated by the red arrow here, which seems to correspond to the architect's address--911 Fair oaks Ave in SoPas.... Speaking of sopas, maybe he can help? Anyone home there in SoPas?

Norman Leroy Marsh was about 8 when this photo was taken (d 1978), Marion 4 or 5 (d 2001). Dad b 1871, d 1955.

Norman Marsh had eight siblings, but none are named Robert...although both Norman and Robert were from Illinois and both made Who's Who on the Pacific Coast, 1913....

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; May 21, 2018 at 8:10 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos