HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Oct 2, 2010, 3:34 PM
not a NIMBY

Downtown Red Deer's newest office building

Old Posted Oct 2, 2010, 3:48 PM

Wow! That looks hawt!

Old Posted Oct 3, 2010, 5:58 PM
Cowtown Enthusiast YeeHaw

impressed.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2010, 10:13 PM
BANNED

Yeah, nice work Red Deer.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2010, 3:42 PM

Latest Shots From Athabasca University

Old Posted Nov 8, 2010, 9:27 PM

AU ARC Update

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 11:59 PM

Old Posted Dec 26, 2010, 10:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
A nod to the 1960s...I love it.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 6:38 PM

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 11:31 PM

AU ARC Feb 2011

Old Posted Sep 20, 2011, 3:06 PM

Medicine Hat Construction

Glad to see a building going in the downtown!

http://www.medicinehatnews.com/front...-09202011.html

'Dollar lot' sold... with a price tag

Amanda Stephenson

astephenson@medicinehatnews.com
Twitter: AmandaMsteph

After sitting empty for 30 years, the vacant city-owned lot at 603 First Street has been sold to a developer.
On Monday, council agreed to sell the property to River Street Development Corporation, the very same developer that pulled out of a deal two years ago, citing sluggish economic conditions. At that time, council had agreed to sell the lot to River Street for the price of $1 -- a move that ignited a furor of controversy within the community.
Apparently not willing to make the same mistake twice, this time council has settled on a selling price of $381,000.
"First of all, it's not for $1 this time. That's a major point," Mayor Norm Boucher told the News. "Second, our partnership as far as building it and how we understand it is much better than it was two years ago."
While River Street's proposal is quite similar to what it was two years ago — a multi-purpose commercial/residential project consisting of two four-to-eight story towers and underground parking — the city's role this time around will be much greater.
Not only will the city assume costs related to off-site levies and lane paving for the development, it has also agreed to negotiate the purchase of two floors of commercial office space for its own use as well as all of the underground parking spaces. While negotiations have not been concluded, River Street is proposing to sell the two floors to the city for $4.5 million, and the 80 parking stalls for $3.2 million ($40,000 per stall).
It is that price tag that drew objections from Ald. Wayne Craven, the only council member to vote against the deal on Monday.
"I, like any other member of council around this table, would like to see this site developed," Craven said. "But not at any cost."
He was over-ruled by his fellow aldermen, many of whom stated their belief that the development -- will be a shot in the arm for Medicine Hat's downtown.
"This proposed development will be classy, state-of-the-art, and it will be a wonderful complement to our downtown core," said Ald. Robert Dumanowski, city council's representative on the City Centre Development Agency (CCDA).
Ald. Ted Clugston said he viewed the project as an example of a P3 (public-private partnership), while Ald. John Hamill pointed out that even though the city advertised the property on the open market after the original River Street deal fell through, there have been no other serious proposals.
"It's just terrible that a valuable piece of land has sat empty all those years," Hamill said.
Boucher said the city will likely bring in between $85,000 and $100,000 in property taxes per year once the project is completed. However, while he said he believes this is the right move for the city, he acknowledged that council is taking a risk.
"All of us have probably laid in bed at night and wondered, 'Are we involved too deep in this?' " he said. "But this is, in my opinion, something that's very solid for our community."
That sentiment was echoed by Ald. Phil Turnbull, who said he had initial reservations but has decided going ahead with the project is the only option.
"I don't have a crystal ball, I can't guarantee to any of our citizens that this will pay off," Turnbull said. "But the world is built by people who take chances."

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 2:40 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Was in Stettler and Castor today. Saw a new four-story hotel built on Highway 56 and some new subdivisions. The old Zellers now looks to be completely done over and split up and built around. The place looks to be growing. Castor is plugging along. There is a pretty large. . . house? being built by the old elementary school site. If it's a house, it is a darn big house.

Noticed the new windfarm just east of Halkirk. A very nice break of the monotony on Highway 12 right before the eskers break into the coulees.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 5:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunCoaster View Post
Do you know if Arthur Erikson is the architect of record for the expansion or, does his firm have any involvement in the expansion?

Also of note, here in BC a bunch of the larger regional colleges (eg. Fraser Valley Regional, Okanagan) are being converted into something between a 'true' college and a 'true' unversity as in they now grant degrees etc ... I wonder if Alberta's larger regional colleges will follow suit (eg. Red Deer Regional, Grand Prairie Regional and Northern Lights etc.)?
Arthur Erickson had nothing to do with the present appearance of the U of L other than University Hall, and that was his second redesign. His first concept looked very much like the high level bridge here - about 1000' long, eight storey building standing on stilts spanning a coulee. The province wouldn't pay the estimated $20m cost (a good thing - it was hideous); his first redesign was reminiscent of SFU and somewhat resembled a Greek temple and IMO was the best of his ideas for the campus. This was also deemed too expensive at $16m. His third design was a stark, bare bones (people have said it looks like prison) 1120' building spanning the original coulee, for $12.8 million; the province accepted it but cut 200' from the north end, where a televison studio and other facilities were planned. After this, Erickson walked away from the project. The original PhysEd building was designed by local firm Robins Watson Baunton but was never completed - a 3000 seat arena and second, larger multipurpose gym were never built ( the 50m pool was, though the diving tank and large 1200 seat viewing gallery were omitted) and Turcotte Hall was attached to the building. A 2000 seat gym with a 200m track was added much later, built in the main parking lot. I have no idea who designed any of the other buildings on campus.

Nothing more of the original design was ever built, as it was considered too expensive. Erickson's plans called for a south wing mirroring University Hall, the planned locations for the library and the performing arts centre were flipped, and the students union building was attached to the aquatic centre.
Only one of the planned three lakes were excavated and the Campus Centre remained a dream, though some facilities were incorporated into the SUB. The campus looks nothing like Erickson's plans except for University Hall.

Sorry for the log winded post.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 5:53 AM

Most of the development in Lethbridge over the past 3-4 years has been in a large commercial/retail strip at the southern entrance to the city. The only developments downtown that I can think of are the emergency services building, the $30m Community Arts Centre which covers a city block, and a 3 storey office building going up in the old Chinatown. There was a $35m reno of the Enmax Centre, but the Hurricanes still can't draw. Big addition to the hospital. The Chinook High School/Catholic Central West HS/ West Lethbridge Library complex opened a few years ago and I've seen a sign on the old Woolworth's building downtown announcing a "major" development with underground parking but I can't find any info on it. Generally a fair number of projects are announced but few seem to get past the proposal stage. But there is a lot of restoration of heritage buildings going on in the downtown. I'll try to get some pictures when I'm out next.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 5:48 AM
Cowtown Enthusiast YeeHaw

^please do! I'm technically a 2012 UofL alumnus but I did co-ops for my last year in Saskatoon and then Calgary, so it's been awhile since I've seen any updates of the 'bridge and would love to see what's been done. I assume you currently live in Lethbridge?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
This seems extremely ambitious, at almost $1 Billion.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...town-1.2456998
Mistakenly posted this in the Ft. McMurray thread earlier today, oops... Banff Centre Expansion

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 3:59 PM

I know Lloydminster tore down all residential block in downtown more than a year ago. Just wondering if any construction started in this area? Never saw any news from Lloyd on this ththread .. On sask section either.

Last edited by Edmontonium; Feb 18, 2014 at 3:06 AM.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 3:05 AM

Just visited Lloydminster and saw interesting building in the downtown. Have no idea what it is..

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 7:24 PM
ARTchitecture

That's pretty cool. Looks to be about 5 storeys. Not bad for Lloydminster!

It looks like this is what that construction project is going to be. Synergy Credit Union, 20 000 sq. ft.

http://www.musgraveagencies.com/commercial-for-lease/

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 7:05 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post

Is this the Fort McMurray campus or the main campus in Athabasca?

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia