HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 9:21 PM

This is a pretty huge score for Nashville!

Under Armour confirms plans to invest $100M in Mt. Juliet, create 1,500 jobs
http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...00m-in-mt.html

Quote:
Cracker Barrel will soon be surpassed as the largest private employer in Wilson County.
Under Armour today confirmed its decision to build a massive distribution facility in Mt. Juliet, bringing 1,500 new jobs to the area over five years.
The facility represents a more than $100 million investment for the Baltimore-based sports apparel company.
According to a news release, the center is set to open in early 2016. It is the company's third U.S. distribution center.
Quote:
In July, Nashville Business Journal reported that Under Armour had narrowed its search to three locations: Atlanta, Greenville, S.C. and Mt. Juliet. Last week, sources indicated Mt. Juliet had emerged as the front-runner to land the project.
The Nashville Business Journal reported that Under Armour had been exploring locations for up to 2 million square feet of space; the facility announced today will total 1 million square feet. However, officials described it as a first phase, with the potential for another 1 million square feet of space in the future.
Under Armour’s arrival in Mt. Juliet will make it the largest private employer in Wilson County, ahead of Lebanon-based Cracker Barrel’s 1,000 employees, according to Nashville Business Journal research.
Quote:
In a news release, Haslam called today's announcement "the beginning of a long and mutually beneficial relationship," adding that he looked "forward to the development resulting from this exciting new project.”
Wilson County has approved a seven-year payments in lieu of taxes (PILOT) deal for the project, totaling just more than $6 million, according to G.C. Hixson, the executive director of the Wilson County Joint Economic & Community Development Board.
Under Armour will get a full tax abatement on the land and building during the seven year span, while the county will collect around 15 percent on personal property, Hixson said.
Details on state incentives were not immediately available.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 1:38 AM

Some pretty significant news today and a major step forward with Tony Giarratana's proposed 36 story office tower called 'Sheet Music'. Tony Giarratana is teaming up with Highwoods Properties to market the project, and will likely co-develop the tower if they can get some tenants lined up. Highwoods Properties has very deep pockets and Tony G. couldn't have picked a better partner to team up with. This project all of the sudden is looking very realistic.

Tight office market could mean new tune for Sheet Music
http://www.tennessean.com/story/mone...usic/16608495/

Quote:
Developer Tony Giarratana has paired up with the city's biggest office landlord — Highwoods Properties — to try to fill the new Sheet Music office tower planned for Fourth Avenue and Demonbreun Street downtown, according to sources.

The marketing effort, which includes pitching the site to a large corporate relocation prospect, comes as analysts stress a need for new office construction amid the tightest downtown office market in the city's recent history.

At the end of the third quarter, 3.7 percent of the Nashville market's first-class office space was vacant, while downtown's vacancy in that high-demand category was 4.4 percent, according to a report from CassidyTurley commercial real estate services.

"These numbers just reflect the strength of the market — whatever we're doing, whatever the secret sauce is working," said Doug Brandon, regional managing principal with CassidyTurley. "If we want to continue to attract the kind of (companies) we're doing, we just need more space."
Quote:
Giarratana declined to comment on the marketing effort. Brian Reames, Highwood's senior vice president in Middle Tennessee, said Highwoods doesn't comment on market rumors, but is constantly evaluating opportunities.

If an opportunity materialized for Sheet Music, it's likely Giarratana and Highwoods would also partner in co-developing what was expected to be a 36-story, mixed-use tower with more than 600,000 square feet of space next to the Encore condo tower.

On a panel at a CassidyTurley event Wednesday, Reames said Highwoods' 3.4 million square foot office portfolio here is 96.2 percent leased — the highest occupancy since the mid-'90s.

The Sheet Music site is near the Pinnacle at Symphony Place office skyscraper south of Broadway, which Highwoods bought for $152 million a year ago.
Quote:
Locally, the Raleigh, N.C.-based real estate investment trust is also developing a 200,000-square-foot building at its Seven Springs development near Brentwood, which mostly will be occupied by insurance giant AIG with 50,000 square foot of space available for lease.

In Cool Springs, a groundbreaking is set for Oct. 22 for Ovation, a mixed-used project eventually expected to include 1.4 million square feet of office space by Highwoods. SouthStar will develop the retail and other space.

The Nashville area's overall 3.7 percent first-class office vacancy rate reflects a sharp rebound from 9.5 percent in 2010, while the current downtown first-class vacancy rate of 4.4 percent shows a dramatic turnaround from the 17.9 percent rate in 2010, according to the latest figures reported by CassidyTurley.
Quote:
Meanwhile, the quoted rates for new construction buildings are $33 to $35 per square foot in the central business district and $28 to $29 per square foot in the suburban markets, according to CassidyTurley.

Rising rents are providing "sticker shock" to tenants looking to relocate to new space, but they're paying it, the firm's latest report said. The average rents should rise more when new buildings such as MarketStreet Enterprises' Gulch Crossing and Eakin Partners' project at 1201 Demonbreun come online.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowTalk4 View Post
As always, I feared my life at times as I was transitioning from the I-24/40 split to the I-65/40 portion of the loop.
Nashville would benefit, in my opinion, from doing away entirely with the I-40 and I-65 routing through downtown and turn it into an urban parkway system with maybe an integrated transit solution using some rights of way you regain from a redesign.

Highway upgrades couldn't be avoided, they would be required to upgrade and re-route I-40 and I-65 traffic through what is now I-440 and I-24, and with that would require widening and some new landscaping of the environment.

Here is my a concept:

Turquoise would be the I-24 assignment, which remains the same as today. Gold is I-65's new assignment. The lavender color is the new I-40 assignment.

The darker red color would be decommissioned as an Interstate highway system and would become an urban parkway system, large in nature (you could easily do a 10-12 lane parkway within the rights of way) with limited stoplights and pedestrian friendly crossings/reconnection between the neighborhoods. You could even do a mixed parkway-transit corridor utilizing any technology (BRT, light rail, heavy rail, etc). Traffic could be slowed to go about 45mph so that its less divisive through the neighborhoods.

The existing highway system would need upgrades, you would likely need to have I-24 east of downtown become a 10 lane (5 bi-directional) route with better bridge connections to downtown, and better connections to East Nashville by allowing more foot traffic across the highway on the streets.

I-440 would need massive upgrades, you would need it to have lanes added as appropriate to become the only East-West highway corridor. There are limitations with that since 440 has residential nearby, but not nearly as many as keeping the existing system as is.

I'm not against highway building at all, but it needs to be appropriate for its neighborhood. Nashville has too many criss-cross messes and it needs to end. I'd rather see highway widening where it makes sense: 440, the east side of the river (so long as the widening project builds bridges with walkable elements), and I-24 should eventually be 8 lanes/4 bi-directional from Nashville to the Kentucky border as Clarksville is growing and that is always a choked highway.

In the city, we need to rethink why we need I-40 cutting through the center of the urban core as I don't think its necessary. Ellington Parkway I don't know about, it is a highway to nowhere and could become an urban parkway as well, I suppose. It is pretty clear than when these original highway designs came along they were very much of the modernist, early era of highway building and we've learned what NOT to do since that period. My plan has one major flaw though, the widening of I-24 really doesn't address East Nashville's disconnection from the city, but with proper bridge renovations and additions I think it could be reconnected better than it is today. The concept I've drawn up still keeps a primarily auto centric city well connected by automobile, but allows for a real urban form to continue to develop in the central core. There is a happy balance, I think, between automobile and transit oriented development that can be met. European cities are better models than other American cities, because quite frankly its easier to drive in central Berlin than it is New York City. Europeans aren't exactly afraid of cars or driving... They just don't tend to cut downtowns into bits and pieces with them.

Last edited by Dr Nevergold; Oct 6, 2014 at 7:52 PM.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 5:30 PM

Possible new Gulch activity coming?

This morning I saw that the huge cantilevered billboard over the Deja Vu Showgirls Club at 13th Ave. South and Demonbruen had been taken down yesterday. Usually once these are built by an interstate, they stay there forever. This one was relatively new (less than 10 years I think). Could this removal be an indication that there may be some major facility being planned for this corner across from the Eakin office tower site and 1212? It is a vey primo location for a hotel or office tower after all. Anyone heard anything?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 6:10 PM

More signs of progress noted around town

I also noticed yesterday and last week several more indications of progress on several sites. The warehouse in front of the BrewWorks (Ewing Avenue)
was demolished last week ahead of the slated Division Street extension.
The Sub Stop on Broadway was announced to be closed on the news this morning. This is the site for the 25 story SkyHouse project. Across the street from it, sitework has started on Cadence. The BP station at 18th and West End Avenue has closed and is fenced off supposedly for the construction of a First Bank facility. Tony G's Church Street project at 18th Avenue may be coming close to start. The gas tanks at the convenience store have been dug up and the Enterprise car rental offices are vacated too. I saw yesterday that most of the structural steel frameworks of both the new Sounds ballpark and the new amphitheatre on the riverfront has been erected. Looks like lots more activity going on or starting up here in Nashville

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 11:37 PM

That's a pretty interesting concept there Dr Nevergold, and one that I haven't seen before. I'm not sure how realistic something like that would be, but I really like the idea.

@Baronakim, I haven't heard anything about the Deja Vu property, but I'll look into it. Also, thanks for the rundown on those projects. Word is that the Skyhouse probably won't get going till around this time next year. I haven't heard anything new with Tony's 18th & Church project, but last I heard was that it could get started by the end of the year, or possibly early next year. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Here's a nice link with lots of pictures of the progress of the Sounds ballpark.
http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/S...ity-Update.pdf

and here's a couple of pics of the current progress of the Amphitheater taken by TheRaglander on UP.

Some other news from today. A rendering surfaced for the project at 19th & Broadway. It's obviously still in the conceptual phase, but I think it looks pretty good.

Here's the article about it today from William Williams with the Nashville Post.

Rezoning could yield major Midtown mixed-use project
https://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2...ed_use_project

This photoshop done by MidTenn1 shows the impact it would have on the skyline. It's the reddish/brown and light blue buildings at the top left.

Also of note, there is the 126 year old Albert Samuel Warren house (once home to Atlantic records) in the footprint of this development that would likely be demolished. It's also on the list of Nashville's nine most-threatened historic places.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 1:51 PM

The Gulch pedestrian bridge passed another vote last night. One more to go.

Gulch pedestrian bridge clears key vote
http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...-key-vote.html

Quote:
Recently resurrected plans for a pedestrian bridge connecting SoBro and the Gulch passed a key vote at the Metro Council Tuesday night.
The Tennessean reports that the $18 million project passed the second of three readings on a voice vote, with final approval now likely on Oct. 21. Construction on the project could begin next summer, with completion around fall 2016.
The council had voted 30-2 in February to table the project indefinitely, amid concerns of neglecting infrastructure needs in other parts of Nashville.
Last month, however, Mayor Karl Dean unveiled a plan to pay for the bridge by capturing tax revenue from the properties that will benefit most from the bridge.

Article from William Williams in the Nashville Post about the HCA tower that broke ground last week. Says the height will be 267'.

HCA tower to make a height statement
https://www.nashvillepost.com/blogs/...ight_statement

Quote:
Not that this necessarily means much, but …

If standing today, the HCA tower that will be home to Sarah Cannon and Parallon would rank among the tallest buildings not located within Nashville’s central business district or SoBro.

The building, ground for which has been broken in the North Gulch's Capitol View, will rise about 267 feet, which would place it at about the same height as Icon in The Gulch (roughly 280 feet), Palmer Plaza (the mid-1980s Midtown building that stands approximately 269 feet) and glistening new Gulch tower Twelve Twelve (about 261 feet).

There is a school of thought that the taller the building, the more a “statement” (which can often translate to prestige, visibility, vibrancy, etc.) that building makes — and in a city with the population of Nashville, 200 feet is noteworthy.

As to the Gresham Smith & Partners-designed HCA tower, with no other tall buildings to be located nearby (at least at the time of its opening in two years), the as-yet-unnamed structure (read more here) should strike a commanding presence.

Other 200-foot-or-taller buildings located outside the city’s CBD and SoBro include Icon (Gulch), Marriott Nashville Airport, Highland Ridge, and 2525 West End (West End Corridor). In addition, four buildings on the Vanderbilt campus are almost 200 feet tall each.

Nashville has other buildings either under construction or planned and that should approach, if not top, 200 feet. These include the underway SoBro, Element and a mixed-use tower Southern Land is developing in Green Hills, the proposed Westin Hotel and SkyHouse, and buildings Lennar, Giarratana, Impakt and Turnberry are targeting.

Currently, the city boasts 26 buildings that rise at least 200 feet.

Another development targeted for Germantown.

Ohio developer targets Germantown for mixed-use project
https://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2...ed_use_project
Quote:
Germantown is bracing for yet another large-scale development, as an Ohio-based company has targeted a 4.74-acre site for a mixed-use building.

LC Germantown, an entity Columbus-based Lifestyle Communities has created to undertake the project, is seeking a rezoning of the site, located at the northeast corner of Second Avenue North and Madison Street (see here in an image courtesy of Google Maps).

LC has enlisted Nashville-based Civil Site Design Group to shepherd the process through Metro. The team will go before the Metro Planning Commission on Nov. 13 to request the site, which is owned by Anita Sheridan, be rezoned to specific plan mixed-used from industrial.

If the project materializes, it would be Lifestyle Communities’ second in Tennessee (LC owns LC Henley Station in Murfreesboro). It would also represent another in a list of multi-unit residential projects planned for Germantown, with no fewer than four other similar projects on the drawing board. Of note, the LC project would be located as far east of the heart of Germantown as any other similar development.

Hundreds more apartment units planned in Nashville

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...nashville.html
Quote:
Two new suburban apartment projects could soon bring hundreds of additional units to the Nashville area.
The Tennessean reports that investors are eying projects in Bellevue and Seven Springs (just outside of Brentwood) that would yield 466 new units.
In Bellevue, The Tennessean reports that Atlanta-based Westplan Investors Inc. has property currently owned by Cedar Hill Community Church under contract for a 322-unit project. It would be Westplan's first Nashville project.
In Seven Springs, a subsidiary of Nashville-based Vastland Cos. plans to develop a 144-unit project on 3.8 acres.
Both projects are still seeking site plan approval from Metro officials.

Google to host music workshops in Nashville
http://www.tennessean.com/story/mone...stry/16875915/

Last edited by MIRYDI; Oct 8, 2014 at 3:03 PM.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 10:29 PM

Significant news today with Tony Giarratana's 65 story 750' project at 505 Church St. The NBJ is reporting that Tony is set to receive $12.5 Million in TIF funding to help him finance the development. It appears Tony is finally gaining some traction with this.

Giarratana seeks Metro aid to build Nashville's tallest skyscraper
http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...es.html?page=2

Quote:
Developer Tony Giarratana is set to receive $12.5 million of aid from a Nashville government agency to help him finance Nashville's tallest skyscraper, named 505 CST.
Giarratana proposes a 60-story tower at 505 Church St. The upper portion will contain 100 to 150 condos, while 300 to 400 luxury apartments will fill the rest of the building.

505 CST would reach 750 feet into the sky. That makes it 20 percent taller than the AT&T tower (aka Batman Building), which tops out at 617 feet and is the current apex in Nashville and all of Tennessee. Put another way, it's tall enough that Giarratana needed permission from the Federal Aviation Administration to build something that tall.

"There is no other opportunity in the state of Tennessee to live on the 60th floor of a building," Giarratana has said.
On Oct. 14, the Metropolitan Development and Housing Authority is expected to approve $12.5 million of tax increment financing. It's a loan, commonly abbreviated as TIF, which MDHA makes to a developer.
Usually, developers use those funds as part of the equity needed to secure a construction loan. MDHA pays down the TIF loan by keeping the additional growth in property taxes that occurs when a piece of land is developed (currently, 505 Church St. is a lot for Giarratana's parking company, Premier Parking).
Quote:
As of mid-summer, Giarratana expected 505 CST to cost $225 million to build. That price tag likely has changed since then, based on the new design for 505 CST, which Giarratana showed at a Sept. 25 meeting of the Nashville City Club. His architect for 505 CST is the Chicago-based firm Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill.
Quote:
In a Sept. 25 interview, Giarratana said he had not yet secured financing. Messages to Giarratana on Wednesday were not immediately returned.
On Oct. 7, MDHA's development committee approved the proposed agreement with Giarratana. That action clears the $12.5 million of TIF funding for a vote by the board of commissioners.
MDHA declined to provide a copy of that development agreement. MDHA plans to release it after the board vote on Oct. 14.
"The two structures will adjoin one another, and MDHA and the seller have been working together to develop a mutually beneficial plan," spokeswoman Jamie Berry wrote in an email.

505 CST will front Church Street between Fifth Avenue North and a one-way alley that dead-ends into Commerce Street.
It is the same address originally reserved for Signature Tower, which Giarratana aimed to make the tallest skyscraper in the entire Southeast. He pulled the plug during the recession.

This summer, Giarratana agreed to sell two-thirds of the site, or 0.8 acres, to MDHA so it could build a public parking garage. MDHA paid Giarratana $9 million for 0.8 acres. Giarratana retained the remaining 0.4 acres for his tower, which will front Church Street.

505 CST would be flanked on the left by The Cumberland, which is downtown's first luxury apartment high-rise. Its other neighbor would be the Viridian, downtown's first tower of luxury condos. The Viridian sparked the city's condo boom before the recession, and also brought a small grocery store to the urban core, the H.G. Hill Urban Market.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 3:29 AM

If Tony achieves building SoBro, Sheet Music and 505CST, he will have a major impact on the Nashville skyline. Especially with 505CST. When added to the existing structures he has in downtown, would any other single developer have as many buildings in downtown?

Hope he can make it happen.

Maybe he should consider the 505CST office building design for SoBro or the now defunct WES site.... Just thinking how great that building would look in either location.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIRYDI View Post
That's a pretty interesting concept there Dr Nevergold, and one that I haven't seen before. I'm not sure how realistic something like that would be, but I really like the idea.
Nashville leaders don't need to go to Portland or Copenhagen for this one, just take a few hours out of the day and head to Memphis, then drive North Parkway and East Parkway and South Parkway around midtown Memphis. Citizens stood up and successfully stopped TDOT from plowing right through the city with I-40 (which would have destroyed the entire North Parkway corridor, not to mention destroy the Memphis Zoo and Overton Park), so the highway ends with Sam Cooper Boulevard, while thru traffic goes around I-240/40 the way it should. In the middle of the old city surrounding Midtown and some other neighborhoods is the gorgeous, well planned Parkway system. When I lived in Memphis back in 2001/2002 for school, it was one of the things I noticed that separated it from many other American cities. One of the good, hidden gems the city has to offer if you visit, aside from midtown's beautiful old buildings and quirky neighborhoods along side Overton Park.

Nashville could really be enhanced with re-purposing these Interstate corridors as a parkway system with trees, landscaping, and reconnecting all the central urban neighborhoods with crosswalks and streets that can connect together again. Aesthetically, Nashville would look a lot better as a city as these highway corridors are looking a bit ragged aside from their cutting apart neighborhoods. Plenty of heavy, urban automobile traffic can still pass easily through the city if they adopt this model, it doesn't hurt the automobile lifestyle of this region. The larger highway on the east side of the river can also help absorb some of the horrible Titans traffic while it also becomes the primary highway entrance for downtown. If rush hour traffic is any indication, it'd probably help traffic flow with making the Interstate around downtown larger while regulating traffic with a moderate speed parkway system.

BTW, anything can happen with the right leadership. And it isn't far fetched, the official Plan of Nashville back from 2000 indicated that Nashville planners wanted to do precisely what I'm speaking of. That kind of vision and that kind of idea isn't impossible at all, it'll take a future mayor to prioritize it, educate citizens, and get TDOT on board with enhancing the surrounding Interstate highway system to absorb the change. Dealing with the state and TDOT will be a bigger challenge than dealing with Nashville's government IMO, especially seeing the state over-reach into the AMP debate. This is one of those visions that ironically you could create a more urban friendly environment and actually increase automobile capacity while making the city more friendly for future transit development. Its a win-win scenario if people get educated and it doesn't turn into a silly AMP like debate.

Last edited by Dr Nevergold; Oct 9, 2014 at 4:40 PM.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 8:43 PM

Wow, can't wait to see what the skyline will look like when all this stuff is built!

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 12:41 AM
Nashville born and raised

Groundbreaking on the Nashville West/Kimpton Hotel project set for October 29, 2014. It will rise in the Midtown area across from Vanderbilt.

Tower crane parts are being delivered.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 5:12 PM

A big win for Nashville today with the coming announcement of the NHL All-Star game being held here.

Report: Nashville to host 2016 NHL All-Star Game
http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...star-game.html
Quote:
Nashville's long wait to host an NHL All-Star Game is apparently coming to an end.
Sportsnet's John Shannon reported today that Music City's Bridgestone Arena will host the 2016 game. An announcement is expected Friday.
Nashville's prospects for hosting the game received a jolt with the opening of the Music City Center and the new hotels it has spawned.
Quote:
The NHL has not held an All-Star Game since 2012, due to the lockout-shortened season in 2012-13 and the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics. This season's game is being held in Columbus, Ohio, home of the Blue Jackets.
In addition to a game featuring the league's best players (this season's game is scheduled for Sunday, Jan. 25), the weekend also includes a skills competition on the day prior.
Quote:
The All-Star Game, which brings throngs of reporters and attracts about 1.5 million TV viewers, is expected to generate between $15 million and $18 million in visitor spending for Columbus, according to The Columbus Dispatch.
Tickets to the game won't be cheap. According to an FAQ on the Columbus Blue Jackets' website, lower-bowl tickets for this year's game are $270, while upper-bowl seats are $195. While it remains to be seen how the Nashville Predators will handle ticket sales, the Blue Jackets are giving their season-ticket holders the first crack at buying tickets.

Related article.

By the numbers: What hosting an NHL All-Star Game means for Nashville
http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...star-game.html
Quote:
Hockey fans are overjoyed in Nashville today, with news that the world's greatest hockey players will come to Bridgestone Arena for the 2016 NHL All-Star Game.
City officials and business owners should also be happy, but because of other things the game will bring: money and attention.
Columbus, Ohio — host of this season's All-Star Game — expects the game and surrounding activities to generate up to $18 million in visitor spending when it hosts the game in late January.
Quote:
The game will also help bring even more attention to "It City." The game itself attracts about 1.5 million TV viewers, and loads of coverage leading up the game (who will be voted to the teams, etc.). The last U.S. city to host an All-Star Game — Raleigh, N.C., in 2011 — estimated that hosting the game generated an estimated $49 million in media value, according to the Greater Raleigh Convention and Visitors Bureau.
According to Raleigh officials, the 2011 game attracted 18,900 outside visitors, generating 10,551 hotel room nights. The total attendance for the 2011 game and festivities was 138,000.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 12:38 PM

Canopy by Hilton coming to downtown Nashville. No renderings as of yet.

Hilton's newest hotel brand coming to Nashville
http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...nashville.html
Quote:
Hilton Worldwide will debut a new hotel brand in downtown Nashville and 10 other cities, the company announced Wednesday.
Hilton said it has signed a letter of intent to open a Canopy by Hilton in downtown Nashville. The first batch of hotels will begin opening next year, according to a news release.
Hilton bills the Canopy brand as serving business and leisure travelers. The hotels will be a mix of new construction and renovations of existing buildings.
Quote:
The hotels appear to offer somewhere in the range of 150 rooms to 225 rooms. That would make Canopy larger than the true boutique hotels that have cropped up around Nashville lately, but smaller than the full-service hotels surrounding Music City Center — such as the 800-room Omni and a planned 452-room Westin.
Quote:
Some Canopy hotels are further along than others; the image with this story is a rendering of the Canopy hotel set for Portland, Oregon. No images were released for the Nashville prospect.
Hilton did not say where it's headed within Nashville.
In a press release, Hilton said among the developers interested in the Canopy brand is North Point Hospitality Group. The Atlanta-based company owns 1 acre of undeveloped land across Korean Veterans Boulevard from Music City Center, a location widely viewed as an ideal hotel site.

Sources: Tilted Kilt sports bar chain eyeing downtown Nashville
http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...ain-eying.html

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 6:06 PM

Glad to see Nashville getting the All Star game. Great arena right in the heart of the city, great fans, and great city to boot.

Lots of greatt looking development to.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 2:49 AM

Wink City Lights Apartments Revealed

Developers of a proposed apartment for the SoBro/Rolling Hill Mill area are seeking a variance to build an 11 story building.

The apartments would rise uphill a few blocks from the Music City Center Convention Center and command a great view from its proposed location.

And that is this weeks project announcement.

But, the week's still young!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post

And that is this weeks project announcement.

But, the week's still young!
Indeed it is...

From last night.

Gulch-SoBro pedestrian bridge cleared for construction
http://www.tennessean.com/story/news...tion/17696515/

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 7:30 PM

Why would there need to be a height variance for an 11 story building on Rolling Mill Hill? Is this an FAA issue or an issue with the area itself? I don't see 11 stories being an issue for the FAA. I know RMH sits high, but it doesn't appear to be so high that an 11 story building their would be an issue with the FAA. If it's due to codes for the area why would Nashville have such an restriction?

Glad to see the pedestrian bridge move forward. I really think if it's done right it will be a great addition to downtown. I hope the multi cable strands will have lights and maybe even a lighting pattern.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowTalk4 View Post
Why would there need to be a height variance for an 11 story building on Rolling Mill Hill? Is this an FAA issue or an issue with the area itself? I don't see 11 stories being an issue for the FAA. I know RMH sits high, but it doesn't appear to be so high that an 11 story building their would be an issue with the FAA. If it's due to codes for the area why would Nashville have such an restriction?

Glad to see the pedestrian bridge move forward. I really think if it's done right it will be a great addition to downtown. I hope the multi cable strands will have lights and maybe even a lighting pattern.
According to some posters over at UP, zoning prohibits anything over seven floors being constructed in this area.

A page from a Nashville planning document illustrates the heavy restrictions on height in Nashville. The proposed 'City Lights' is in the yellow/Rutledge Hill area.

The green is the SoBro area which has few restrictions. The pink is the Gulch area which would allow some talls if leed certified, neighborhood friendly, etc.

Only SoBro and Downtown have 'unlimited' zoning restrictions on height.

The City has been very generous in granting variances to Midtown/Music Row projects such as allowing up to 25 floors in areas limited to seven floors. Granting a variance in the Rutledge Hill area might be seen as setting a precedent that would allow other developments to occur that would eventually block views, etc.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 4:12 AM

Thanks MidTenn1. That's too bad regarding the seven story height restriction for the RMH area. If I considered living in that area my thought would be I'd want to be in a taller building that offered remarkable views of downtown, the river and just views to the east, west, or south. I can understand limiting the number of tall buildings in certain areas, but I'm against codes that completely restrict them. I think anyone living in a city core expect to be surrounded by tall buildings. I don't think an 11 story building would significantly block the skyline, if anything it could enhance the skyline just like the buildings in the Gulch. Skylines are more interesting when you see varying heights with high points and low points dispersed not gradual increases from the outside in. That's what it appears Nashville is attempting to do. One of the things that I like about Austin's growing skyline is that it appears to be stretching out and it's not pyramiding.

Personally, I'd love to see 10 to 25 story buildings scattered along I-65 starting at I-440 heading into downtown and I would be great if tall buildings were scattered along Hermitage Ave viewable from I-24/40 heading into downtown. And, I've said on many occasions that the east bank should be totally redeveloped from an industrial zone to a residential and class A office zone. I actually believe that area would be the easiest to redevelop because there are no existing residential streets that people would feel like they are being squeezed in or out.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations