HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
^
That building is Italianate and most likely from the 1870's or so.
On second look, the tall windows and detailed eaves (dentals?) do appear Italianate. The classical gables threw me.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 1:54 AM

The abandoned building you guys are discussing is the old Bayard School. It was built in 1874 and is indeed Italianate in style. It has nominated a historic landmark by the city last October, and is slated to be fully restored and converted into 11 apartments.

Lawrenceville definitely does have a handful of buildings from the Federal period however. Most of them are towards the river, within a few blocks of the Allegheny Arsenal.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 2:01 AM
Ex Houstonian

^
Thats great news. Are there any renders or plans from the developer?

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 2:12 AM

Quote:
^
Thats great news. Are there any renders or plans from the developer?
It was covered by the historical review commission back in December. It's being done by Q Development - who is also partnering with Trek on the new Penn/Eighth development Downtown. There are some architectural plans if you scroll through the presentation, but no renderings per se.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 11:22 AM

I believe the AI building was supposed to be micro-apartments at one point. Office is fine too, but I guess that shows which way the wind is blowing these days.

The new office building on Forbes in Oakland is a little blah, but acceptable and I agree about the nice addition of scale/massing.

I'm now wondering if District 15 had to set aside the other half of the lot that way in order to comply with the special plan that had been approved for the whole zone. That is indeed (highly qualified) good news. But it still sucks as a building.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 12:58 PM

Oops...realized I linked to the schedule, not the presentation upthread. Here it is, in case some of you don't know how to get to the link.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 8:06 PM

The latest issue of the Bloomfield Garfield Corporation Bulletin has information about the new hotel going on Penn Avenue near the Children's Hospital. This includes a single rendering, which makes the design look very...basic and contemporary. There's some low-level NIMBYism on display in the article (people who face the alley shared with the hotel worried about trash pickup and the like) but only one person interviewed seem to want to stop the hotel entirely. It got past zoning despite the NIMBYs in mid-March (though the board said further work needed to be done to "address community complaints") so it's probably in the clear now.

Last edited by eschaton; May 12, 2017 at 8:28 PM.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 8:51 PM
BANNED

Here's to more burnt orange in Pittsburgh!!!

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The abandoned building you guys are discussing is the old Bayard School. It was built in 1874 and is indeed Italianate in style. It has nominated a historic landmark by the city last October, and is slated to be fully restored and converted into 11 apartments.

Lawrenceville definitely does have a handful of buildings from the Federal period however. Most of them are towards the river, within a few blocks of the Allegheny Arsenal.
Really glad to see this historic building saved and restored to a new use.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 11:54 AM

The Forbes office building will have Pitt as its main tenant, and the CVS will move over:

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/ci...s/201705120110

Hopefully that means there will be plans for the CVS parcel soon to follow.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 12:01 PM

PIT is in ongoing talks with Copa Airlines to open up service to Panama (Copa is the flag carrier of Panama), which would serve as a gateway to the rest of Latin and South America:

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/re...s/201705120082

There is some skepticism expressed in the article about whether there is enough demand for such service, but as usual it would be nice to be able to arrive internationally in PIT, and I wonder if we might get more traffic FROM South America as a result.

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 2:51 AM

I'm no photographer, but I thought I'd upload some development pictures from my random bike or pedestrian trips around the city.

I noticed that while the rehab of the (horrendously remuddled) 400 Stanwix Street is taking place that you can see that some of the original brickwork was still hidden underneath the awful facade.

The new RIDC building from a bike trip a few weeks back.

Buncher's new Riverfront Landing apartments. I doubled back when on my bike Friday to take a look only because I saw the elevator core in the far right of the picture, and it was so far from the main section of the building I thought it was a different project. It's going to be a real beast when it's complete.

The remainder of the pictures are from a walk through Lawrenceville today. First, Arsenal 201.

Front building coming along quickly - I think only one story left.

What's been more surprising to me is the progress in the rear though. The building along 39th (which is all frame, and will look like fake townhouses) is already in the stage where the brick cladding and windows are being put in. It's impossible to get a good shot of it due to the scaffold for the brickwork, so here's a close up of part of the structure.

This pic, although not great, shows my biggest surprise - that they are already building a third structure with a steel-framed first story in the interior of the development. I did not recall this being part of Phase 1 of the project.

A small group of five townhouses being built on 47th Street where a small farm (no, seriously) used to be. We talked about these townhouses before. As the plans indicated (and the photo clearly shows), the developer made the curious decision to have first floor garages which open to the front and the rear for the middle three units, effectively making the first story a pull-through driveway.

Two infill houses on Carnegie Street. I actually like these, as far as modern-styled infill in Lawrenceville goes.

The McCleary School condo building is done.

The townhouses behind the McClearly School. I think they're pretty meh, and they also open onto a parking lot, which is kinda weird. Only a small amount of orange however.

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 6:40 PM

Quote:

The townhouses behind the McClearly School. I think they're pretty meh, and they also open onto a parking lot, which is kinda weird. Only a small amount of orange however.
I really do not care for the townhouse part of the McClearly school project. Their design is pretty mediocre and I dislike how far back they are from the street. I think it would have looked much better to have the townhouses fairly close to the sidewalk instead of so far back with the parking in the front. I would certainly consider buying one of the condos in the school, but not the townhouses.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 5:02 AM
Ex Houstonian

When you're driving east down Butler Street, the Arsenal development really helps that part of Lville feel way more dense and urban because the street turns a little where Arsenal is it makes it feel more enclosed, I like it, hopefully the facade isn't complete garbage once done.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 2:57 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

A pretty dramatic fire 2 nights ago in the historic and impressive 18 story midtown towers due to it's very old age and thus lack of sprinkler system or any fire prevention precautions. The fire was on the 6th or 7th floor and spread up to the 10th floor.
The fire chief would like to see "changes" made to these grandfathered buildings to prevent this. As any new construction or large rehabbed buildings are now required to have sprinkler systems.
I think it's a nice thought but I am going to say that it is probably very unlikely due to massive expense making it unfeasible in buildings like this.
Interesting video report that is worth a watch on this incident and the broader issue though: http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017/...inkler-system/
1 dead, 3 fire fighters injured.

The building:

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 2:59 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Also, it's primary voting day today. Don't forget to go vote for mayor and other public officials.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 6:17 PM
Ex Houstonian

Oh no, I hope that building can be saved and fully restored, it is one of the most beautiful buildings in Pittsburgh or could be if restored to its former glory. And thanks for telling me about voting, I completely forgot.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Oh no, I hope that building can be saved and fully restored, it is one of the most beautiful buildings in Pittsburgh or could be if restored to its former glory. And thanks for telling me about voting, I completely forgot.
I just walked by today. From the outside, the damage does not look too bad, and is mostly confined to a couple of floors in the middle of the building on the 7th Avenue side and rear. I would think insurance would cover the rehabilitation costs, but I don't know much about how commercial property insurance works.

The building currently contains 94 units of low-income housing (one of only three such buildings downtown, IIRC). As long as it maintains that status, I don't think it will be getting fixed up much.

Last edited by eschaton; May 16, 2017 at 8:12 PM.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 11:55 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
You're welcome!

I did my civic duty. Hint: I didn't vote for Darlene Harris. I don't care if she does live in my neighborhood of Spring Hill. Peduto has been doing a great job.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 12:00 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
I just walked by today. From the outside, the damage does not look too bad, and is mostly confined to a couple of floors in the middle of the building on the 7th Avenue side and rear. I would think insurance would cover the rehabilitation costs, but I don't know much about how commercial property insurance works.

The building currently contains 94 units of low-income housing (one of only three such buildings downtown, IIRC). As long as it maintains that status, I don't think it will be getting fixed up much.
Yes, i'm sure the building can be repaired.

BTW, thanks for the construction photos. Always appreciated.

My rural parents (Hanover, Twp - Beaver County) came to the city for Mother's Day on Sunday and my family ate brunch in Lawrenceville at the Coco Cafe. It was quite good. Farm to table type place. We then went and watched my sister's boyfriend play his violin in a chamber music event at the Unitarian church in Shadyside. Everyone had a good time. My mother enjoyed shrieking at how narrow the streets were and my dad laughed and told us stories of how he used to have to navigate those back streets as a truck driver (18 wheeler) in the 70's and 80's making steel deliveries at various old manufacturing buildings. Anyway, my dad drove around a lot of side streets and we zig zagged through Lawrenceville checking it out. Even I was astonished at the number of large and small projects and infill currently going on. It seemed like every single street had at least a few projects, modern, new construction infill, historic renovations, multi-unit apartments under construction. I think it's safe to say that Lawrenceville is in FULL boom (bloom?).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations