HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 3:59 PM

We were there for drinks and looked at the menu...and declined ordering. At issue for us is that there appeared little fresh and healthy...and without that being the focus...we were not interested. We then dined elsewhere.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
We were there for drinks and looked at the menu...and declined ordering. At issue for us is that there appeared little fresh and healthy...and without that being the focus...we were not interested. We then dined elsewhere.
Which place are you talking about?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 4:27 PM
HVAC guru

What's with all these new places that spend a mint on "atmosphere" but can't get a menu right ? Experienced the same at Craft last week.. great space, great beer, food really substandard

Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 6:31 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
Rocky Mountain Icehouse leaves reviewer cold

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...cold-1.2772276
Yeah, can't say the food will draw you in. Easy to sell atmosphere, but you need a chef to command the dollar.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 10:57 PM

Was at Greenland nursery today, stopped by the new bistro on site called Branches. Had the duck sausage with carmelised onions and saskatoon compote with a side of house made slaw and frys. The better half, had the grilled nectarine salad and fruit bread Crustinies. A side of cauliflower and parmisian poppers . Washed down with a pint of alley cat scona gold for me and a nice reisling for her. Room is quite plesant and service is prompt. Food is very good. There is a wood fired oven for pzza that looked good as well. I would recomend this for a nice out of the way lunch.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2014, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
Yeah, can't say the food will draw you in. Easy to sell atmosphere, but you need a chef to command the dollar.
That is the issue: no "real" chef - as in trained and Red Seal. Too many of these places just wing it and you have owners that are not in the hospitality industry. The couple that own this place also own the Cask and Barrel and there is zero real "cooking" going on there...and the C&B is a hobby business for them apparently. Frankly I am glad CBC provided a rough review - there are far too many oh so kind reviews being passed out in e-town and this just drops standards everywhere.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2014, 6:57 PM

Stopped by Tzin Tapas and Wine bar last night after the Symphony. Have to say it was very good and just right for a late night dinner. So after a day of food and culture, i have a couple of places to add to the "yup I'll go back list." And if you have never been, get to the Symphony, what a jewel we have.

It is nice to have some options now after the show.

Also of note. Jasper ave was stunningly busy around 11:30 last night. Never been by Knoxvilles at night, what a zoo and the lineup was huge. People there and across the street at Bvld, plus a steady stream of people all the way down to 116st.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 2:47 AM

Level 2 Lounge seems to be closed. Notice the Sold sign.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 2:18 PM
Community Guy

^^Always enjoy my times at T'Zin, love the cosiness of it.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 6:41 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
Level 2 Lounge seems to be closed. Notice the Sold sign.
Huh, spent a few nights there. Was a real receptive place for playing techno.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 6:43 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
That is the issue: no "real" chef - as in trained and Red Seal. Too many of these places just wing it and you have owners that are not in the hospitality industry. The couple that own this place also own the Cask and Barrel and there is zero real "cooking" going on there...and the C&B is a hobby business for them apparently. Frankly I am glad CBC provided a rough review - there are far too many oh so kind reviews being passed out in e-town and this just drops standards everywhere.
The bar at the Icehouse could use a redesign too. Pillars certainly get in the way of the bartender seeing you sitting at their seats.

But alas. Not going to be around long, looks like.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 8:05 PM
Briareos Hecatonchires

I was at Sabor Divino with my brother and his GF last night.

Given that it was a Tuesday night, it wasn't terribly busy, but still had a number of customers in it. Bodega Tapas Bar was practically empty at first, despite the generally nice weather, though I noticed three middle-aged ladies gathered over a table in there when I left.

I ordered for the appy the fish soup - it wasn't bad at all, though I wish they added a bit more fish and maybe another prawn or two. They had sardine pate, which I found very good.

Main course for me was black spaghetti with clams, and my brother's GF had the same thing. We both agreed that it was very good. I personally found it a little heavy, with all the creaminess of the sauce, but it was still good. The clams in there were quite big - and rather tasty. My brother opted for the seafood paella, which he said was quite good.

We shared a bottle of Whitehaven Sauvignon Blanc (NZ) for drinks.

As for dessert, none of us had any. I very rarely eat dessert anyways.

Service was good, if a little slow at times.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2014, 6:21 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

The wife and I got to try out Meat last night. Very inviting and open space with huge windows facing the street, with very minimalist decor that suits it well. We had to wait about 20-25 mins for a table, but they have ample space for people waiting to loiter around and have a drink and mingle, which makes the time pass much more quickly.

The server was very helpful and service was excellent, though she may have exaggerated how much food two people could easily eat in one sitting.

We ordered the half pound of brisket, half rack of ribs, and a quarter smoked chicken, alongside a full order or the mac and cheese and a full order of the brussel sprouts, as well as a homemade pickle and a slice of bread each.

The food came out very quickly - a huge benefit of having it all prepared in advance - served "family style" for sharing.

The brisket was good, but I found I had to rely on the homemade sauces for flavour more than the smoked flavour alone. That said, those sauces are all very good. The ribs on the other hand were juicy and delicious and could stand on their own. The chicken was what actually blew me away, though I don't think I'd ever really had real smoked chicken before. Chicken normally seems to rely on marinade, seasoning, or sauce to give the otherwise usually bland meat some flavour, but the smoke flavour was prominent throughout.

The mac and cheese was delicious, allowing the creamy cheesy flavour and little else to be the highlight of the the dish. The brussel sprouts offered a good balance of flavour which did well interspersed with the meat servings. The pickles were simple and tasty and had a great crunch. They are huge, though, so be careful how many you order. The bread, honestly, I could have done without, but it wasn't bad by any stretch.

We ended up taking home about half the Mac & Cheese, 3/4 of the brussel sprouts, and most of the brisket. It was a lot of food.

The bar has lots of local beers and an amazing selection of bourbon (including a few of my favourites); if you go here though, you have to try the Meat Caesar, which is made with Buffalo Trace bourbon, horseradish, and garnished with a slice of bacon. The flavour lingers in your mouth for quite a while after even just one sip. And you can't go wrong with bacon.

It was a bit pricey - an evening for two with two drinks each and all the food mentioned above worked out to somewhere around $100 before tip, though as I said we could have done with one less meat selection and just one large or two half sides. It was a good, delicious, and fun dining experience, though, and we would definitely go back again.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 3:18 AM
Urbis Maximus

Speaking of new restos, looks like Nathan Bye (former chef of Wild Flower) is opening up a new restaurant on Whyte and 106 Street called Ampersand 27. Great to see another young entrepreneur opening up a resto in yeg.

http://ampersand27.com

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD UW View Post
Speaking of new restos, looks like Nathan Bye (former chef of Wild Flower) is opening up a new restaurant on Whyte and 106 Street called Ampersand 27. Great to see another young entrepreneur opening up a resto in yeg.

http://ampersand27.com
Friends that know him said his words were "gastropub".

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 5:27 AM

Is Knoxville's the busiest bar in town? The lineup there is always insane. I walk past there after work every night and it's unlike anything on Whyte, that's for sure.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 3:36 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

Took this last week and forgot to post it; looks like the new coffee kiosk in Central - Burrow - is almost ready to go!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 7:32 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

^ I guess they're doing a soft opening this week; today they're giving away free coffee and baked goods.

Official opening is next Monday, Oct. 6.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 2:54 AM
Community Guy

After using these here in HK, love that we are getting 'big city' additions.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 3:08 AM

Awesome! That's my work station so it'll be great to have coffee without the wait of Tims or Second Cup/Starbucks or if I forget to turn the Kuerig on in the morning.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton