HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 11:04 PM

New Orleans submitted an application in September 2012 for Federal Transportation Infrastructure Financing with the government for an undisclosed $157mm project identified only as the "Treme Iberville Project." http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/2...road-projects/ I wonder if that is a project to rebuild the street grid in the Iberville?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 1:18 AM
TL;DR

I don't know. It seems way out of line if it only includes the Iberville area. For comparison, a similar project at the Guste/Erato projects cost only $3.6M for about 10 blocks of reconstructed street. The Iberville is larger, but even if they do the whole area between Claiborne, Orleans, Basin, Canal that's only about $23M/64 blocks. For $157M they could completely reconstruct the streets in a huge area of the city.

http://www.durrhc.com/projects/Guste_util.asp

$175M might be the total project cost for Iberville, including the new housing, but you can't use TIFIA to build housing.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 1:28 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by polemic View Post
New Orleans submitted an application in September 2012 for Federal Transportation Infrastructure Financing with the government for an undisclosed $157mm project identified only as the "Treme Iberville Project." http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/2...road-projects/ I wonder if that is a project to rebuild the street grid in the Iberville?
Im thinking this has to do with some sort of streetcar. Its much too early to be applying for financing for Claiborne overpass and streets alone shouldnt cost anywhere near that unless that is spread throughout the entire treme iberville neighborhood!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 5:27 AM

Whole Foods coming to Broad Street

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 7:37 AM
TL;DR

Not a lot of detail there. Is there anything more than we knew before?

I'm surprised they plan to open so soon. Looks like there won't be any significant modifications to the building. With all that rooftop parking, they could develop some outlots along Broad like the Mid-City Market is doing; it would make the block feel a lot less suburban.

Now can we get a Whole Foods at the Schwegmann's on Annunciation?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 10:34 AM

I'm 99.9% certain that the FTIF request included funding for the St. Claude line. Guessing that's a large portion of the money being requested.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 7:09 PM

This Whole Foods has to be one of the worst-kept secrets in the city, glad it's finally been announced! Even though we knew about it way back in May of last year, when Blitzen posted this:

Quote:
The City of New Orleans is proposing to engage in improvements to 300 Broad Street, a vacant and blighted building... The tenants that have committed consist of Whole Foods, Revolution Foods, Liberty's Kitchen, and Tulane School of Medicine.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 11:17 PM
-

If anyone is interested there is a meeting with the community scheduled for February 20 at the sojourner truth building abotu revitalizing the claiborne corridor and removing the overpass. Heres the link:

https://www.cnu.org/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=44

I registered but cant make it since Ill be in Argentina for the month. Would love for some of you guys to go though! Seems like things are moving fast on this!

Also saw that Texas de Brazil will be taking over one of the restaurant spots in Spanish Plaza as The Riverwalk transitions to The Outlet Collection.
http://www.texasdebrazil.com/locations

As for that Annunciation Schwegman I think a Trader Joes would be nice for part of it!

Last edited by tennis1400; Feb 15, 2013 at 4:50 PM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 11:59 PM

I had heard the Annunciation Schwegmann's was in early talks with someone, can't remember who though, def a grocery store though.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 12:14 AM

So that project still looks viable? That recent article in the BusinessDaily looked ominous like they are dependent on public funds or are considering it. The concern being, that they might not be able to get them because of support going to the outlet mall project on the former Six Flags site in the East.

Hopefully I am all wrong about this and either they both get built, or only The Outlet Collection makes it. I honestly wouldn't mind them returning the Six Flag site to nature.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 12:55 AM

Tennis, thanks for the heads up on Claiborne overpass. I will be there!

I'm very psyched about the Whole Foods. Broad Street is a pivotal street in this city, the only street connecting Uptown, Treme, Mid City, and Gentilly. I'm thinking of what ripple effects this could have in terms of retail and other development in the Broad corridor. And if we can get the Claiborne overpass torn down, and Jindal doesn't pull a Harrah's circa 1995 and stop hospital construction halfway through, then I think we are well on our way to prevent the future decay of the city's historic urban core!

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 3:11 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalia View Post
I had heard the Annunciation Schwegmann's was in early talks with someone, can't remember who though, def a grocery store though.
Please, anything but Winn-Dixie...

Judging by your username, we live on the same street.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2013, 4:21 AM

New Orleans Arena Upgrades

Old Posted Feb 16, 2013, 4:33 AM
TL;DR

This is cool, but it doesn't change the fact that the New Orleans Arena is surrounded by blocks of parking lots, railyards, highway ramps, and garages. This isn't the Barclays Center; there won't be massive flocks of people hanging around the stadium. We need to get rid of that damn post office; it's like a Chinese wall - then develop the area right next to the UPT with apartments and retail.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2013, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
This is cool, but it doesn't change the fact that the New Orleans Arena is surrounded by blocks of parking lots, railyards, highway ramps, and garages.
I agree. It's too bad that downtown has so many blocks of real estate in desperate need of activity, but they shoehorned the arena in a space that barely even exists between the dome and the highway. An arena incorporated in the downtown street grid like the arena in Washington, DC, could've had a much greater impact on downtown life. It's also too bad the arena looks like a bar of Irish Spring soap constructed with legos. Or perhaps a bar of Irish Spring soap as it woud've been portrayed in a 1983 Atari video game.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2013, 6:16 PM
-

I know of all the things they are about to do with Champions Square soon. Granted it wasnt the best place to put the arena but I think they are going to do well with the changes they will have.Also the Howard Avenue extension will greatly improve access to this area too

Some of the greatest improvements are the things you dont really see that will be upgraded. There are shows that simply dont come to New Orleans because the arena isnt updated enough and the dome is much too big! The new sound system acoustics etc will really improve the experience!

BTW you think whoever did that second rendering could at least do champions square instead of the New Orleans Center Mall...lol

Old Posted Feb 16, 2013, 8:26 PM

Oh, what are these changes to Champions Square?!

Old Posted Feb 16, 2013, 9:08 PM
TL;DR

The master plan called for entertainment to line the perimeter of the square like LA Live. It's a tricky location for restaurants because LaSalle has been closed off and you can't drive there, even when the Dome isn't being used. I expect some theme restaurants, a saints shop, and maybe a steakhouse.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2013, 11:12 PM

A nice bowling alley and movie complex would do wonders to keep the area alive.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2013, 4:30 PM

What's Coming Here?

The old McDonald's building at 3120 Gentilly Blvd (Elysian Fields/Gentilly Blvd) is currently under renovation. Most recently, it had been a Chinese buffet.

It appears they've subdivided the building; so I'm assuming it's several small businesses. Any ideas?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations