HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 3:32 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Generally this is true, but I do understand how someone would associate Ottawa with a bit more Quebec-ish in its vibe than Hamilton (as I believe the post a few pages back mentioned).

Hamilton is a thoroughly southern Ontario/Great Lakes kind of city, a smaller, rougher Toronto. Industrial, red-brick Anglo Victorian, etc.

Ottawa, while definitely embodying that feel to a degree, also has a some areas that feel distinctly different from what you'd see further west in Ontario, and that have a more eastern/Quebec vibe. I'm thinking specifically of the Byward Market and parts of Lowertown, but there are a few examples scattered elsewhere too.

You certainly wouldn't confuse it with Montreal, but there is a cultural/aesthetic affinity with Quebec that you don't see in most of Ontario.
Ottawa doesn't really have any of Montreal's "noble architecture" which includes turrets, spiral staircases, etc.

What it does have in common with Montreal and other cities in Quebec are some very utilitarian industrial working class areas in neighbourhoods like Vanier, Hintonburg and Westboro.

But aside from that much of Ottawa (thinking of central and generally more affluent areas like the Glebe, Old Ottawa South, Centretown, Westboro, New Edinburgh, etc.) is classic Ontario in terms of architectural vernacular.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada