HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 2:26 PM
Big Dog

It doesn't look good.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 4:21 PM
Community Guy

way to go province... you are SMRT

not assisting in a long term legacy kind of project versus a short term economic cycle

bravo... bravo

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 4:33 PM

Just like how the $2 billion dollars in green transit funding turned out to be $50 million this year?

And how they half build hospitals?

How schools announced 18 months ago have nary a spade in the ground?

If the province will not spend money in areas they have already committed, no wonder they won't commit new money.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 4:36 PM
Community Guy

^this is Alberta, akin to a rich uneducated trust fund 30 yr old.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 5:59 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
a rich uneducated trust fund 30 yr old.
We have a word for this. It's called "trustfundarian".

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 7:29 PM
BANNED

how do these guys keep getting re-elected...

Old Posted Feb 23, 2009, 6:11 AM
Sherwood Park as a Nation

Mayor confident in city's Expo bid

Updated: Sat Feb. 21 2009 17:07:29

Sonia Sunger, ctvedmonton.ca

Even though the province hasn't made any promises to support the city's 2017 Expo bid, Mayor Stephen Mandel seems confident in the proposal.

Mayor Mandel just returned from a trip in China where he toured the next World Exposition location.

Alberta's culture minister says without a surplus the province will be focusing on health care and education this year, but Mandel is still hopeful.

"We think it's an important venture for the city and you know we will see what they have to say," said Mandel. "We hope they support our bid, if they don't, they don't, but we'd be disappointed if they don't."

On Friday the city formally asked the province for $1.5 million for the 2017 Expo bid. The city likely won't get an answer on their proposal until the provincial budget is unveiled in the spring.

If Edmonton wins the bid the event is expected to cost more than $3 billion to host.

© 2008 CTVglobemedia All Rights Reserved.

http://edmonton.ctv.ca/servlet/an/pl...b=EdmontonHome

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 6:49 PM
Community Guy

City councillors get mixed messages on Edmonton's bid for Expo 2017

BY GORDON KENT, EDMONTONJOURNAL.COMFEBRUARY 25, 2009 11:18 AMBE THE FIRST TO POST A COMMENT

EDMONTON — City councillors seem to be getting mixed messages on Edmonton's bid for Expo 2017.

Coun. Tony Caterina asked at Wednesday's council meeting for a report on the status of the proposal, referring to a report Premier Ed Stelmach had said "no" to provincial support for the Worlds Fair during Tuesday's announcement that Edmonton would hold the 2010 Grey Cup.

But Mayor Stephen Mandel jumped in to say Caterina was wrong.

"The premier didn't say no and the minister didn't say no. Let's be very clear about that . I happened to be there and he didn't say no."

A spokesman for the premier said later that Mandel's information was correct.

Last week, Culture and Community Spirit Minister Lindsay Blackett said the province is waiting to see what money is available before making any commitments.

Edmonton is now spending $2.3 million developing the proposal. It plans to ask the province to contribute about $1.5 million toward the next phase of the bid.

The city will likely have to wait until April for answers, as cabinet ministers continue hammering out the details of the provincial budget.

Expo 2017 carries a total estimated price of $1.6 billion to $2.3 billion.

gkent@thejournal.canwest.com

© Copyright (c) The Edmonton Journal

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...296/story.html

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 6:50 PM
Community Guy

haha love this:

"If Edmonton wins the bid the event is expected to cost more than $3 billion to host."

only 20-50% variation

"Expo 2017 carries a total estimated price of $1.6 billion to $2.3 billion."

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 9:46 PM

Quote:
haha love this:

"If Edmonton wins the bid the event is expected to cost more than $3 billion to host."

only 20-50% variation

"Expo 2017 carries a total estimated price of $1.6 billion to $2.3 billion."
Trust me, I live in Vancouver, and we're seeing that every day with 2010 costs... only more.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 11:14 PM
Change is good

The sooner Tony Caterina is gone, the better off this city is...

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 11:53 PM
HVAC guru

If the ward splits in two I'll run against him in the south ward. I bet I can beat him.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 1:33 PM

Will he be Expo Eddy?

By FRANK LANDRY - Edmonton Sun

February 26, 2009

Is Premier Ed Stelmach on board with Edmonton's bid to host Expo 2017?

Don't ask members of city council because they can't seem to get it straight.

Coun. Tony Caterina yesterday made a formal inquiry on the status of Edmonton's Expo bid, citing a report that the premier had killed the idea.

"Given the provincial response and the premier's response to the 2017 (Expo) here and their answer being, 'No,' I'd like to know from administration how far along we are with Phase 2 (of the bid process)?"

But Mayor Stephen Mandel quickly interjected, telling the Ward 3 representative he had his facts wrong.

"The premier has not said no, and neither has the minister," said Mandel, an Expo proponent.

Caterina said his inquiry was based on a report of a statement Stelmach made at Tuesday's Grey Cup announcement.

"I happened to be there, and he didn't say no, councillor," Mandel said. "I don't want to argue about it ... but you're entitled to ask your questions."

"Thank you," Caterina responded.

Stelmach earlier this week said Edmonton is getting the 2010 Grey Cup and said that "a few more" events may be coming.

That includes the 2015 Summer World University Games, which Edmonton is in the running for.

"The mayor wants the World's Fair here, but we'll have a little discussion a little later," he said in a joking manner.

Paul Stanway, a spokesman for the premier, said no decisions have been made yet.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Edmo...f-8536336.html

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 4:14 PM
Change is good

Tony Caterina mixing up truth again? Who'd figure that

Old Posted Apr 15, 2009, 12:37 AM

Alberta set to back Edmonton’s bid for Expo 2017

Gordon Kent
edmontonjournal.com

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

EDMONTON - The Alberta government is expected to throw its support behind Edmonton's push to host Expo 2017 by contributing $700,000 to the next stage of the bidding process, says a report released Tuesday.

The money, which will help the city develop its proposal to become Canada's nominee for the international event, follows months of study by the province to determine whether it wants to become involved in a project that has an estimated cost of $1.6 billion to $2.3 billion.

However, city manager Al Maurer later said that although the city anticipates receiving this contribution to the $2 million cost of the bid, the province hasn't made a formal commitment yet.

Finance Minister Iris Evans said support for the Expo bid has been discussed, but she's not aware of any spending commitments that have been made.

"I think the premier has been approached by the city, so I am sure there will be more conversations."

In February, Culture and Community Spirit Minister Lindsay Blackett stressed that health care and eduction were the government's main priorities, but said he was interested in Expo if it can be done in "a fiscally prudent manner."

Coun. Tony Caterina said that r provincial boost, he still doesn't want Edmonton to pursue an Expo bid, arguing countries are pulling out of the show being held next year in Shanghai.

"A world trade fair has consistently lost money ... as far as I'm concerned, it's just a large trade show where you can go and see Tupperware and those sorts of items."

The provincial Expo commitment was part of a larger report on how Edmonton will deal with shortfalls caused by the recession.

While 2009 city revenues are projected to be $35.1 million lower than expected, spending cuts and revenue increases, money from Epcor for the transfer of the Goldbar sewage treatment plant, lower fuel costs and other changes are anticipated to create a $6.1 million surplus.

The issue will be discussed Wednesday by city council.

gkent@thejournal.canwest.com
© The Edmonton Journal 2009

Copyright © 2009 CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.
CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.

http://www.globaltv.com/components/p...95486&sponsor=

Old Posted Apr 15, 2009, 12:47 AM
Community Guy

""A world trade fair has consistently lost money ... as far as I'm concerned, it's just a large trade show where you can go and see Tupperware and those sorts of items.""

oh Tony

Old Posted Apr 15, 2009, 1:14 AM
Urbis Maximus

He keeps on going and going and going....

Old Posted Apr 15, 2009, 2:10 AM

Has this guy been supportive of any one issue that's been raised since he started his term? I understand having some guarded optimism but jesus christ, this guy...

Old Posted Apr 15, 2009, 2:24 AM

Quote:
""A world trade fair has consistently lost money ... as far as I'm concerned, it's just a large trade show where you can go and see Tupperware and those sorts of items.""

oh Tony
This guy needs a blanket party.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2009, 4:21 AM
Business Is Usual

He was supposed to be on CHED tonight, anybody get a listen?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton