HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 6:34 AM
Meh

Little being built around SH 130

It's still pretty uninspiring. $100 million in development is swell, but when you consider how many acres that's covering, it's not very impressive.

It's still nasty unsustainable sprawl that isn't paying for itself. It'll take 40 to 50 years before these developments actually pay for themselves when you factor in the cost to those city governments having to build the utilities and infrastructure that were necessary to allow for that development.

And then there's the traffic issues.

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/pr...nd-sh-130.html
Quote:
Little being built around SH 130
P’ville, Hutto have seen the only action so far
Premium content from Austin Business Journal - by Vicky Garza , ABJ Staff
Date: Friday, August 19, 2011, 5:00am CDT

Development along State Highway 130 has hit a couple of Central Texas cities, but others remain stalled.

The toll road, which runs through the heart of Pflugerville, has been a major boon to that suburb just north of Austin.

“In the last three years we have seen close to $100 million in development on the toll way,” said Floyd Akers, interim executive director for the Pflugerville Community Development Corp.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 6:07 AM
~Hook'em~

I really don't mind that much hasn't been built out there. What is important to me is that it relieves some of the pressure off of I-35.

What would be perfect is if they made I-35 a toll road and turned 130 into the interstate. =) That would take all of the people just passing through town out of our main road into the city. And it would make a crazy amount of money. But I know that is just a pipe dream and will never happen. Would be cool though.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 2:52 PM

The toll road beancounters are stupid.

Cut the toll rates by at least 50%, and they'll more than double or triple the traffic pretty quick.....especially the 18 wheelers.

The new F1 track might generate some 130 development southeast of the airport (where there already is a considerable amount in place & more to come in the Pearce Lane area).

And look for growth to spring up all around the new executive air park (old Bird's Nest air field) next to 130 in P'ville. After all, people love to build & buy houses next to established airports so they can complain about the terrible noise. lol

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 4:17 AM

True, and with several major projects in the works we could see alot of construction around the area in the next 3-5 yrs.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 1:28 PM
on the south side

I don't understand why they can't force trucks off of IH-35 to the 130 toll road. I know it's a totally different scenario, but trucks are not allowed on MOPAC.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowens View Post
I don't understand why they can't force trucks off of IH-35 to the 130 toll road. I know it's a totally different scenario, but trucks are not allowed on MOPAC.
I saw a truck on Mopac the other day. I didn't realize they were not allowed. I guess because Mopac is really not graded to freeway standards? I-35 is graded to freeway standards and is also a federal highway, so that is probably why nothing could ever be done about it.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 5:02 PM
Meh

I think delivery trucks are allowed. Besides like furniture trucks, I think beer trucks and coca-cola trucks are allowed. You just don't see the really big trucks like you do on I-35. The only reason trucks couldn't drive on a highway is if the bridges were too low or if exit ramps were too short or too steep.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2011, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
I really don't mind that much hasn't been built out there. What is important to me is that it relieves some of the pressure off of I-35.

What would be perfect is if they made I-35 a toll road and turned 130 into the interstate. =) That would take all of the people just passing through town out of our main road into the city. And it would make a crazy amount of money. But I know that is just a pipe dream and will never happen. Would be cool though.
that's exactly what i've been wanting austin to do; i'd want the tolls to begin at the austin city limits on i-35.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin