HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

River Point in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 21, 2007, 2:49 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Hopefully it starts soon (within a year or so) then.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2007, 3:04 AM

That is a really nice office building. There is much excitement going on in Chicago construction these days.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2007, 3:19 AM

The Chicago River Tour will the best in 2010

Old Posted Jun 21, 2007, 1:41 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eventually...Chicago View Post
i actually met van schaack a few times. I doubt he would introduce a project before he knew that it would be built. Obviously nothing is for certain, but i would say this project is going to happen.

I definitely agree - I think this one is a virtual certainty........it will likely be officially launched by the end of this year......imo with or without Blair...

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 2:50 PM

I'd love to see a reverse angle rendering of skyline impact, i.e., from perspective of the Eisenhower or the Kennedy.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eventually...Chicago View Post
i actually met van schaack a few times. I doubt he would introduce a project before he knew that it would be built. Obviously nothing is for certain, but i would say this project is going to happen.
I hope your appraisal of the situation is right; I love this project!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2007, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm30 View Post
I'd love to see a reverse angle rendering of skyline impact, i.e., from perspective of the Eisenhower or the Kennedy.
I'm not claiming this is highly accurate, it's just a quick and dirty eyeballing of the massing.
I based the height off the 450ft. Riverend Condos, so this should be what a 700 ft building in that location would look like in this photo.
If this is close, it's going to be damn impressive.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2007, 4:34 PM
Registered

^ Quick and dirty it may be, but that little sketch has me a lot more excited about this tower. Thanks.

Unfortunately, I do not think the back of the tower is going to look like that. I believe the curvature is very slight, and only on the front. Hines keeps advertising the "efficient, rectangular floor plates"

Old Posted Jun 23, 2007, 11:24 PM

The view to the southeast would be of the narrow side, not the broad side. The height seems a little too tall; not sure about that.

As far as the floorplates, from the rendering they appear to be rectangular but with very bowed sides; maybe Hines's comment is made just to stress that they're much closer to rectangular than to circular, as an initial glance at the design might suggest.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2007, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
I'm not claiming this is highly accurate, it's just a quick and dirty eyeballing of the massing.
I based the height off the 450ft. Riverend Condos, so this should be what a 700 ft building in that location would look like in this photo.
If this is close, it's going to be damn impressive.

Thanks! Very cool, even if it's not 100% accurate. We always see very Loop-centric views of these new towers, but the view coming in from the suburbs is just as breathtaking, in my opinion.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 2:02 AM
Chicago, il.- Malibu, Ca

[/QUOTE]Thanks! Very cool, even if it's not 100% accurate. We always see very Loop-centric views of these new towers, but the view coming in from the suburbs is just as breathtaking, in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Regardless of the accuracy, it is still a lot better than anyone else has posted here. Thank you Aaron 38, it gives a good example of what it will look like. I would never criticize anyone for trying, without your rendering we would still be

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 2:29 AM
Pacific Wonderland

Always love a Kennedy POV for the skyline, with the Sears so big and in your face with its 1451 ft goodness. The new tower will make a nice addition.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 12:22 PM

This is interesting...
CHICAGO-Hines Interests LP, based in Houston, is planning an office tower with more than one million sf at 200 N. Riverside Plaza, with a 200-room hotel next door. The 50-story office tower will have between 1 million and 1.3 million sf and a value of about $400 per sf, or more than $400 million, says Tom D’Arcy, vice president at Hines. The cost of the hotel is about $325,000 per key, or approximately $65 million, he says.

The office building was designed by Pickard Chilton, based in New Haven, CT. There have been no leases signed for the office building at 200 N. Riverside Plaza but “we are in discussions with a number of interested companies,” D’Arcy says. The asking lease rate for the office space is between $30 per sf and $35 per sf net, D’Arcy tells GlobeSt.com.

Hines plans to have the building 25% to 30% pre-leased before starting construction. Construction on the buildings will likely start in 2009, D’Arcy says. The buildings are expected to be completed by the middle of 2001. The office building will have between 20,000 sf and 25,000 sf of retail geared towards the office tenants, such as a bank, sundry shop, copy center and fitness center, D’Arcy says.
The hotel will be constructed to the north of the office building and will have either 19 stories or 20 stories, D’Arcy says. The majority of the 200 rooms in the “boutique” hotel will be orientated towards the river, D’Arcy says. The hotel will have a restaurant and meeting space as well. “We have had a lot of interest in the hotel,” he says.
The development will also have a public plaza of more than 1 acre, D’Arcy says. The public plaza will have a walkway along the riverfront. D’Arcy said they chose the location because there is a confluence of three parts of the river that provides “a very large open area of water, which is obviously a protected view.”

http://www.globest.com/news/936_936/.../161801-1.html

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 12:23 PM

I dont understand why they just dont incorporate the hotel in the tower...it would also allow the building to be taller too!!!

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 1:40 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

I definitely don't see twenty stories in the hotel portion in that render. At most I see half that.

Though it would be nice for them to include twenty stories of hotel in the main building I can imagine why Hines may think potential major corporate tenants wouldn't be as enthusiastic about it and would rather have the space segregated.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 4:53 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Why don't they just add the 20 stories to 200 and make it taller? 20 stories of hotel would push this one near 1000.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 5:34 PM
THAT Guy

Cost?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 5:46 PM

My guess is that Normanlee's explanation is the reason why they are building two separate buildings.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2007, 1:48 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Cost?
Damn logic.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2007, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
Damn logic.
On the other hand, could they charge more for rooms in a hotel spanning the 700 to 1,000 foot altitudes?

Let's face it, this is a convenient location for business travelers with meetings in the West Loop but that's about it. Add a view down the river from 800 feet up, looking toward Trump Tower and the Spire, with a glimpse of lake views in certain directions (actually, probably an excellent view of the north lakefront), and you've got a much more marketable hotel.

Then again, Hines aren't really hotel developers, are they?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive