HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Metroplace in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Burnaby Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 3:48 AM

Something akin to the style of Shangri-la would be awesome.

Will the building, being so prominent, have a crown?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daguy View Post
I can't remember where I saw it (so if anyone knows maybe post) but I recall there was a proposal to reconnect one or some of the local streets between Beresford and Central Boulevard around Metrotown Station, in order to facilitate the gentrification of the area south of Metrotown.

It would be great if this development goes forward, that area is one of the most run down in Burnaby, and it should lead to the whole area being redeveloped.
It's mostly apartments around there. That would be a lot of evictions to dish out on lower income people. I mean, the people who work in the malls and coffee shops all over Vancouver have to live somewhere.

Where this tower is going up is a commercial property along with 2 SFH properties (owned by the city I think). And in the render, there is another tower a few blocks away, where currently there are about 7 dilapidated SFH and a corner store. The rest of the apartment buildings probably aren't going anywhere until they are condemned.

However, the block where this is being built is basically the border between the nicer and uglier buildings. To the West it's actually fairly nice considering they are rental apartments, to the East those places are probably closer to falling apart on their own. But still, that's a lot of people to evict, mostly immigrants, which doesn't play well in the press.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 1:01 AM

New renders posted on Metroplace's website

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 1:29 AM

What is the height of this tower?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 1:38 AM
be nice to the crackheads

The tower itself looks pretty strange. I can't put my finger on it, but it doesn't really appeal to me. The podium, on the other hand, looks great.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 1:47 AM

Hmm, well it's ugly, but its big. About on par for what I would expect in a suburban condo tower.

The views will be spectacular, that is for sure.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 1:55 AM
Vancouverite

In the picture we can see downtown? I doubt from that angle we could...

Anyways can't wait for the maywood area to brighten up!!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 2:06 AM

The retail at street level gives the area some pedestrian friendliness that the area sorely lacks due to that mammoth mall.

I wonder if somewhere down the road we will see restaurant and retail under the elevated line, as they have in Berlin?

The density is already there, so it wouldn't take much to make the area much more walkable.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 2:10 AM

The podium looks taller than in the previous rendering.
I wonder if all levels of the podium (on the cenral Blvd side) are restaurant retail (based on the number of people shown)

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 4:29 AM
Crazy as a mad hatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
The retail at street level gives the area some pedestrian friendliness that the area sorely lacks due to that mammoth mall.

I wonder if somewhere down the road we will see restaurant and retail under the elevated line, as they have in Berlin?

The density is already there, so it wouldn't take much to make the area much more walkable.
From the plans for the area including having beresford(the street on the south side of the line) reconnected again, and the now, nowhere to be found plans on translink's website, restaurants under the line isn't going to happen. The plans for the station included bus loops under the line and using adjacent streets, etc, a full concession level at the same height as overhead walkway etc. See post 3 in this thread - http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=139672

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmigs View Post
From the plans for the area including having beresford(the street on the south side of the line) reconnected again, and the now, nowhere to be found plans on translink's website, restaurants under the line isn't going to happen. The plans for the station included bus loops under the line and using adjacent streets, etc, a full concession level at the same height as overhead walkway etc. See post 3 in this thread - http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=139672
I didn't think there would be a bus loop there. I was hoping to see a bit of a market street created on Beresford or Central. That bus loop will blight the neighborhood in my opinion.

Last edited by logan5; Feb 23, 2011 at 6:47 AM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 5:40 AM
Vancouverite

They wouldn't be able to add retail because of the green way, also without the bus loop and mall, metrotown station would be another Royal Oak and Patterson....

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 6:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikePhanta View Post
In the picture we can see downtown? I doubt from that angle we could...
You can easily see downtown from the west side of the Metrotown station platform.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 6:55 AM
Vancouverite

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
You can easily see downtown from the west side of the Metrotown station platform.
yeah, but facing more north west..
this angle is facing south west, and shows downtown in ubc's spot.

I'll find a globalair pic later.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 7:06 AM

Tower looks a little weird, but the project looks fantastic at street level, and that's really more important. Hopefully this spurs a bit of a cleanup under the guideway...the greenway there could be really impressive with the Skytrain above and towers on either side, but it's a mess of gravel, bare dirt, and swampy grass right now. Some paving stones or something would be nice if they aren't going to maintain the grass properly.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 8:11 AM
Crazy as a mad hatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
I didn't think there would be a bus loop there. I was hoping to see a bit of a market street created on Beresford or Central. That bus loop will blight the neighborhood in my opinion.
I don't know. I think the bus loop under the mall like that is more of a blight than anything. An open air bus loop(s) if done correctly, doesn't need to be a blight. For example, the Joyce bus loop isn't any more of a blight than the station itself, which itself is ugly, but was also built years ago.

As for buses, like the current incarnation of the station, the current Metrotown loop is at capacity and something needs to be done to ensure Metrotown continues to stay the main hub/destination for all buses in the area. Patterson doesn't really have the capacity to absorb more buses. And if more buses are diverted to Patterson, the ugly excuse comes up that the bus doesn't go where I want to go(yes I know its only a short hop away but little things like this discourage users who are on the fence).

In any case I'm pretty sure Burnaby won't allow any old ugly POS bus loop put in, considering the length they have gone to with regards to negotiating with the developer over this project. And i'm pretty sure any renovations done to the station will have a more modern, open architecture - ie. more glass versus metal grating, like the newer stations. I'm guessing the bus loop(s) would follow a similar design. And considering its a greenway, I imagine some sort of greenery would be involved, like trees or shrubs.

I wish I had a job, I would be one of the first in line to buy in this tower. I've always wanted to live right beside the mall, heck I'd love to live in a place with an enclosed connection to the mall. Not because I shop all the time, but simply convenience, especially with a wheelchair, the less streets to cross, obstacles, etc, the better.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 7:18 PM

I like tall buildings, and I think that building them along the "spine" of Burnaby - parallel to Kingsway and Skytrain - will add drama and dynamism to Burnaby.
Yet there is something about this one - something in the design - that leaves me somehow cold. ? ... too "top-heavy .... ? ...too "LEGO-looking" ... sorry, I can't say what it is, but it just lacks something. It's 'pedestrian' in a way I cannot pinpoint. I wish I could be more specific.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 7:21 PM

weird i love it

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
weird i love it

Maybe I'll learn to love it .... (it seems as if I'll just have to)

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
I like tall buildings, and I think that building them along the "spine" of Burnaby - parallel to Kingsway and Skytrain - will add drama and dynamism to Burnaby.
Yet there is something about this one - something in the design - that leaves me somehow cold. ? ... too "top-heavy .... ? ...too "LEGO-looking" ... sorry, I can't say what it is, but it just lacks something. It's 'pedestrian' in a way I cannot pinpoint. I wish I could be more specific.
I agree. To me it's the red lining all the way to the top of the tower's crown. Get rid of the red lining and the tower would look more aesthetically pleasing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley