HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnor View Post
For $500k I’d sooner buy a regular brick and mortar home or penthouse but to each their own.
That's like seeing someone with brown hair and saying you'd rather have blonde hair .... Not sure exactly what your point is or why you would say that lol

This is such a cool reuse of material and it points to inovation and sustainability... Having something like this in our downtown shows outsider's and Hamiltonians alike that creativity and design can happen here too

I love it and wish there were many more unique progress symbols of design here

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonBoyInToronto View Post
That's like seeing someone with brown hair and saying you'd rather have blonde hair .... Not sure exactly what your point is or why you would say that lol
I think his point is (if it really will cost 500k) why would anyone spend that kind of money on this instead of a house with real brick and mortar?

The advantage to these container homes is that they're quick to build and a lot cheaper in materials, etc. If they're priced anywhere close to the range of a regular home at roughly the same size and location - then I don't see the point.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 1:33 PM

Its very ugly. If it was cheaper I would understand but for 500k, there are better choices that look nicer.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 1:35 PM

bottom of the Jolley Cut, yes.

Love the colour too...it's looking sharp this morning. Slightly tinted windows add to the design as well.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 1:38 PM

Quote:

This is such a cool reuse of material and it points to inovation and sustainability... Having something like this in our downtown shows outsider's and Hamiltonians alike that creativity and design can happen here too

I love it and wish there were many more unique progress symbols of design here

This point can't be overstated...Hamilton is not known for urban creativity or modern design. In a city where giant stucco columns count as luxe and dreamy, a more industrial design like this with creative installation techniques is more than welcome in my books.

Add it to the slowly growing list of cool infill homes in the city

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 2:01 PM

Yea, I like the looks of this and think Hamilton could use more creative designs like this.

But this should NOT cost 500k... not even sure it should cost half that. Can someone confirm what the price actually is?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 3:56 PM

The contractor was interviewed on CHCH news and said it cost the same as a conventional house of the same size.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 4:56 PM

I was concerned this infill was going to be one of those suburban style homes placed completely out of context when I passed by the foundation, thankfully it looks really cool.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 6:25 PM

I like it. Obviously needs to be completely finished w. landscaping but I think it's a really great idea.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 7:28 PM
It's Hammer Time

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...home-1.4695053

Young told CBC News the containers are about $8,000 to $10,000 each, but about $20,000 each after the work has been done to them.

He's not sure what the final price tag will be, but he's estimating $400,000 to $500,000, "or a good hunk more."

They're hoping to move in within the next two to three months and will look into renting out a couple rooms to international students.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 12:16 AM

the comparison people are making that they would rather have a brick and mortar home for this price is silly .... this is obviously a design choice and a matter of taste .... these days you can't really put everyone in a box and say which box is better.... these container homes are popping up in major cities all over the world and are pretty trendy ... the fact that Hamilton got one makes me happy because it shows that not all Hamiltonians are settling for the typical red brick home that is so prominent here (I live in a historic red brick home myself and LOVE IT) but lets not put other people's design and taste down

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 2:47 AM

Quote:
the comparison people are making that they would rather have a brick and mortar home for this price is silly .... this is obviously a design choice and a matter of taste .... these days you can't really put everyone in a box and say which box is better.... these container homes are popping up in major cities all over the world and are pretty trendy ... the fact that Hamilton got one makes me happy because it shows that not all Hamiltonians are settling for the typical red brick home that is so prominent here (I live in a historic red brick home myself and LOVE IT) but lets not put other people's design and taste down
No one’s saying anything is better or putting anyone’s taste in design down. I would prefer a conventional build or penthouse, simple as that.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnor View Post
No one’s saying anything is better or putting anyone’s taste in design down. I would prefer a conventional build or penthouse, simple as that.
That's great .... When you are shopping for your next dwelling be sure to tell your real estate agent that lol 😎

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 7:26 PM

I'm interested to know what how many new units built in downtown (say, wards 1 through 3 or 4) in the last 5 or 10 years, as well as units currently proposed or under construction, are owned vs rental, are bachelor vs 1BR vs 2BR vs 3+BR and how many are detached vs in mid-rises vs high-rises (however thats measured). Does the building department (or anyone else) break down numbers about units by neighbourhood, size, construction dates and building size? Is that data publicly accessible or can anyone who might be keeping track share numbers along those lines?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton