HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 24, 2010, 6:55 AM

City survey shows support for 150-foot buildings downtown

A Scottsdale survey released this week turned up support for new buildings downtown that would match the city's tallest structures at 150 feet.

But it also showed that nearly three out of 10 people polled believe that Scottsdale should never allow another building on the downtown skyline taller than 65 feet.

That skyline divide was reignited earlier this month when Gray Development Group proposed building a 148-foot luxury apartment building with 1,196 units northeast of Scottsdale and Camelback roads.

Gray commissioned a survey to gauge community attitudes toward downtown development and bolster its case for city approval of the $200 million Scottsdale Riverview project.

John Washington, a critic of taller buildings downtown, said the survey's leading questions were "contrived to yield a desired result," a direct endorsement of height and indirect endorsement of Gray's project.

"I could have constructed the questions in a more balanced fashion and got remarkably different results," said Washington, a member of the Coalition of Greater Scottsdale.

Gray Development spokesman Jason Rose defended the survey, saying it attempted to accurately describe the height issues.

The poll of 300 likely voters, conducted July 14-19, showed that 52 percent supported height equal to existing buildings near Scottsdale Fashion Square and Scottsdale Healthcare's Osborn hospital. Nearly 29 percent favored restricting height to 65 feet downtown.

Another 10 percent were not in favor of equally tall buildings or limiting them to less than 65 feet. And 9 percent were unsure or had no opinion.

Rose said he thinks there is growing support for additional height downtown, adding that surveys a decade ago were more evenly split.

"Does it mean this project should be approved carte blanche?" he said. "Of course not. We are working on a new plan that will soon be unveiled."

Gray's revised plan will reduce the height of its two buildings and the number of apartments.

"The tires have been kicked" on this project, Rose said. "Hopefully, the car will hum a little better."

Gray's survey also asked questions about Scottsdale leadership and key projects for its future.

Just over half of those polled said Scottsdale is moving in the right direction while 22 percent answered that the city is on the wrong track. Even more people, 27 percent, were unsure or had no opinion on the city's direction.

Two years ago, a Scottsdale Area Chamber of Commerce survey revealed that 55 percent of those polled believed that Scottsdale was going in the right direction. Twenty-one percent said the city was a little off track and 7 percent said it was seriously off track.

There was strong support for the Scottsdale Waterfront development, which includes shopping, offices and two condominium towers of 150 feet.

Sixty-five percent of those polled said the project has been good for Scottsdale and 18 percent said it was bad.

The top choices for taxpayer-funded improvements were McDowell Road revitalization, 34 percent; McDowell Sonoran Preserve, 31 percent; WestWorld improvements, 10 percent; and arts facilities, 7 percent.

The poll was conducted by the Summit Consulting Group, which surveyed Scottsdale citizens who voted in November 2006 and November 2008. It has a margin of error of 5.66 percent.

Fifty-one percent of the respondents are registered Republicans, 27 percent Democrats and 18 percent independents or no party affiliation.

One third live south of Indian Bend Road, 38 percent live between Indian Bend and Bell Road and 29 percent live north of Bell Road and Frank Lloyd Wright Boulevard

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/community/s...#ixzz0ua31acDa
http://www.azcentral.com/community/scottsdale/articles/

Old Posted Sep 11, 2010, 12:07 AM

Another Valley company potentially on the way out of town?

http://www.azcentral.com/business/ar....html#comments

Scottsdale-based GoDaddy for sale

7 comments Sept. 10, 2010 04:06 PM
azcentral.com

The Wall Street Journal is reporting that Scottsdale-baseed GoDaddy.com, a website that registers Internet domain names, is for sale.

According to WSJ, GoDaddy.com is on the auction block and could be worth more than $1 billion.

Elizabeth Driscoll, vice president of public relations, said in an e-mail Friday "GoDaddy does not comment on rumors."

More to come.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2010, 10:30 PM

This looks freaking sweet..would have loved to see it downtown but I guess we can't get everything downtown. Has a Lucky Strike vibe to it from the video tour...

http://goldclasscinemas.com/About-Go...nemas-Tour.htm

Opening at Scottsdale Quarter on December 17th.

http://goldclasscinemas.com/Theaters...le-Arizona.htm
http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/p...r,1505009.html

Old Posted Oct 21, 2010, 11:14 PM
BANNED

lame.

I'm not such a pompous ass hole that I have to have a leather recliner and all those amenities to watch a movie. There is a certain charm about going to a movie theater and this kind of takes away from it. I was at something similar in Chicago last year and... ugh. Talk about sense of entitlement.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 11:18 PM

Quite a few restaurants coming to Scottsdale Quarter...

http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/...ts-lineup.html

And with plans to add a crossing between Kierland and Quarter, it's a pretty nice, walkable development.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 4:49 AM

Hey guys I'm new to this Forum, but I've been reading up on your guys posts and threads for at least a year now.
Something I found from the Az Republic November 3, 2010
Front page of business section: A new Scottsdale commercial that pisses me off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngjzoYU2_Rw

I posted a comment on the video under the username "ebioaxt"

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
This looks freaking sweet..would have loved to see it downtown but I guess we can't get everything downtown. Has a Lucky Strike vibe to it from the video tour...

http://goldclasscinemas.com/About-Go...nemas-Tour.htm

Opening at Scottsdale Quarter on December 17th.

http://goldclasscinemas.com/Theaters...le-Arizona.htm
http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/p...r,1505009.html
that is the douchey-est idea i've seen in a long time. wow. could you imagine sitting in that theatre with all the trendy, metro wanna-be millionaire douchebags and skanky whores??? ugh.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 5:12 PM

I'd watch a movie with the skanky whores.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 6:40 PM

true, the skanky whore thing is really all right with me...they just tend to gravitate toward douchebags so.....

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 8:35 PM
BANNED

the skanky hoes you ssee in scottsdale though, aren't interested in anyone who isn't wearing an Afflicition shirt and driving a 10 year old BMW/Mercedes. They also generally have nothing going on upstairs.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 9:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX4LIFE View Post
Hey guys I'm new to this Forum, but I've been reading up on your guys posts and threads for at least a year now.
Something I found from the Az Republic November 3, 2010
Front page of business section: A new Scottsdale commercial that pisses me off.

I posted a comment on the video under the username "ebioaxt"
This video is just embarrassing.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 9:11 PM

Hey tell me what you guys think of this Scottsdale commercial that will be aired on TV in other states.

Would it attract you to Scottsdale?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 9:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX4LIFE View Post
Would it attract you to Scottsdale?
No. In fact, it'd do the opposite if I were planning a trip. Scottsdale has so much to offer, but the video does an extremely poor job of relaying it to potential tourists/newcomers.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 9:21 PM
BANNED

I hate this new campaign the CVB is doing. It's actually been out for the better part of a year, and the graphics are just so cheesy. It does a great job of displaying a wild west culture that isn't even alive anymore in Scottsdale, and while I can understand an east coaster might be interested in starry mild nights in the desert, there are so many things to show off that are better.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 9:38 PM

There are a couple cool things about it, but overall it sucks. If after the shooting star hit the moon and became a discoball thing and it panned down to a modern club scene, or after it zoomed into the martini and zoomed out to a lush pool scene, it would be better. As it is, the whole thing in the desert looks lame as hell and doesn't make any sense... further confusing people out of state about Arizona. When is the last time you saw a person in cowboy get up in Scottsdale? They need to drop the "west's most western town" (because it's obviously not), and just focus on the nightlife, spa, golf, outdoors crap.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 9:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
There are a couple cool things about it, but overall it sucks. If after the shooting star hit the moon and became a discoball thing and it panned down to a modern club scene, or after it zoomed into the martini and zoomed out to a lush pool scene, it would be better. As it is, the whole thing in the desert looks lame as hell and doesn't make any sense... further confusing people out of state about Arizona. When is the last time you saw a person in cowboy get up in Scottsdale? They need to drop the "west's most western town" (because it's obviously not), and just focus on the nightlife, spa, golf, outdoors crap.
There is a guy who works for the CVB who wears a full cowboy getup with spurs. I would hate to be in his position and have to purpetuate the stereotype of Arizonans being cowboys. He likes it, but I wouldn't be ready to sign up for that.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 10:58 PM

I was at a Scottsdale City Council meeting about a month ago and a lady from the CVB made a presentation to the council regarding their ads and their ad campaigns and how they are doing and such. The numbers she was throwing around seemed pretty good. And it sounded like they were advertising Scottsdale in upscale areas and in upscale ways (national magazine full page spreads, large billboard type ads in posh California areas or back east locations and such, etc.)... She didn't focus on selling Scottsdale as only a deserty cowboy town at all, she talked about their focus being upscale resorts, spas, nightlife, shopping, golf, etc., etc... but this ad looks like a single-focus piece of crap.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 11:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
I was at a Scottsdale City Council meeting about a month ago and a lady from the CVB made a presentation to the council regarding their ads and their ad campaigns and how they are doing and such. The numbers she was throwing around seemed pretty good. And it sounded like they were advertising Scottsdale in upscale areas and in upscale ways (national magazine full page spreads, large billboard type ads in posh California areas or back east locations and such, etc.)... She didn't focus on selling Scottsdale as only a deserty cowboy town at all, she talked about their focus being upscale resorts, spas, nightlife, shopping, golf, etc., etc... but this ad looks like a single-focus piece of crap.
yeah, the whole campaign is kind of focused on the deserty shit. Fortunately for them, a billboard of the desert looks great on the Hudson Expressway or the Dan Ryan.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2010, 1:47 AM
Skyriser

My response to the commercial:

Quote:
Huh? A commercial about Scottsdale without actually featuring any images of Scottsdale? That pile of brown and cacti could have been anywhere in Arizona. But ... not even that ... rather than sweeping dramatic natural vistas you have a camera that wanders around a computer-generated scene as intoxicated as the cowboy and cowgirl in it.

You advertise everything everyone hates about the city: fakeness, drunkenness, and kitschy images of a by-gone era. What were you thinking?!

Old Posted Nov 7, 2010, 2:03 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
My response to the commercial:
Kind of an ignorant response if you ask me. Those things bother us locals, but to the people we are trying to lure here to spend money, they love it. That shit gets eaten up left and right. That said I still hate the cheesy graphics but it sells.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest