HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 18, 2015, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
I like the way they located the National Museum of African-American Music (NMAAM) directly across from the Ryman Auditorium.
I agree. I think the overall layout of the project will allow for some pretty good sight lines as well. The westward approach on Broadway will give a nice view of the street level portion of the complex with the high rise apartment building as a nice backdrop. I like that they positioned the apartment building north-side allowing for more air space between the office tower that appears to be positioned east-west. It creates a balance in the overall low rise to high rise space of the complex. The east-west pedestrian boulevard in the complex will offer some really nice views of the Batman Building and the Ryman while creating the feeling of an inner core bound by the apartment tower and the office tower.

The views from the Bridgestone Arena side will also be nice. I do wonder however if the office tower will block views of 505CST. It will be a nice massing in the area.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowTalk4 View Post
Hmmm... could a Polercoaster be in the works for Nashville or maybe a Skyspire? Checkout both in the US Thrill Rides link in the next paragraph.

A poster on the Memphis forum posted a picture from the US Thrill Rides (http://www.usthrillrides.com/) booth at the International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions (IAAPA) 2015 Expo in Florida showing one of their Polercoasters with the indication of a Nashville, TN location.

Has anyone ever heard any mentioning of such a structure in Nashville? I think it would be cool. I'd even like the Skyspire simply because it's different than the typical Ferris wheel structures popping up everywhere. The Skyspire offer an opportunity for an observation deck and dining. Hey maybe the can do either a Polercoaster or Skyspire in the shape of a guitar... LOL
I posted that, it's actually an Intamin built ride

Here's the pov of the proposed Orlando one
https://youtu.be/5Lhp2KB-eHE

I've been screaming for Memphis to consider a coupleasure of high profile attractions(not a theme park) for Mud Island. I want a classic wooden coaster and a Star Flyer with a lighting package(google that one) along with a Disney World Soarin like ride that takes you on a ride down the Mississippi, Seem the Brewery in StL, coton field in Arkansas, the Barbecue in Memphis and the piss in Nawlins as you fly over.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Memphian View Post
I posted that, it's actually an Intamin built ride

Here's the pov of the proposed Orlando one
https://youtu.be/5Lhp2KB-eHE

I've been screaming for Memphis to consider a coupleasure of high profile attractions(not a theme park) for Mud Island. I want a classic wooden coaster and a Star Flyer with a lighting package(google that one) along with a Disney World Soarin like ride that takes you on a ride down the Mississippi, Seem the Brewery in StL, coton field in Arkansas, the Barbecue in Memphis and the piss in Nawlins as you fly over.
Thanks Wayward. Interesting concept. Now that I see it as being more of an amusement ride than an observation tower, I can how it would fit in at Riverfront Park as someone on Urban Planet depicted. If it was more of an observation tower with a bar/club, restaurant, and indoor-outdoor observation decks, I think it would be better in a location higher elevation than Riverfront Park. Such as the location at the southern tip of SoBro where there's currently an adult bookstore, liquor store and I believe an few empty buildings. It's a right off the interstate, wouldn't interfere with residential properties (at least no more than the interstate), from an observation viewing perspective it would have excellent views of downtown, mid-town and the surrounding hills of Nashville.

However, I do wonder if the rollercoaster theme would be a bit too much in a more traditional CBD as Nashville versus Vegas where they already have a similar concept but with the ride portion being at the top not working its way around the entire structure. or, even Orlando, where there's more of an expectation for this type of structure. As a rollercoaster enthusiast I do like the concept and if Nashville had an amusement park I'd love to see one there. I'm still on the fence with it being in the downtown area if it is more of a rollercoaster than an observation tower.

Of course all of this is based on speculation that it's in the plans for Nashville.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 3:44 PM

Nashville Ikea....

I was recently in an Ikea in the Greater Washington, DC area and overheard a conversation between a few of their employees while in line. One appeared to be in a management/supervisory role. Their conversation was about one of the employees moving to Nashville sometime in 2016 to be closer to family and going back to school. That employee said he wished Ikea had a store there (Nashville) where he could possibly work and shop for stuff for his apartment. The guy who appeared to be a manager/supervisory said that there are plans to build a store in Nashville but the plans are still being worked on and a store could open in late 2016 or early 2017.

I didn't wont to intrude in the conversation, but since I know this was discussed a couple of times on this site and since Ikea had announced a store for Memphis, I decided to inject myself into the conversation briefly and asked the manager/supervisory if he new if those plans were close to being announced. He just said that he didn't know about an announcement, but that there had been communications internally that Ikea is definitely looking at property in Nashville and that there appeared to be a goal of having a store there in 1-2 years. He said he's hoping they do because he would apply for a relocation offer when they do. He told me he visited Nashville a couple of times over the past few years and really likes the city. He has friends there and they keep telling him he needs to move there. So, he's hoping that Ikea will announce plans for Nashville in the near future.

Just thought I'd pass that along.... I guess we'll still have to wait and see. Though I know this is not a sitting on pins and needles announcement... LOL

Old Posted Nov 23, 2015, 9:24 PM

A Look at Nashville's Tallest Developments

Quote:
Like many North American cities, Nashville is going through a major urban revival. Dozens of office and residential developments are gradually filling in the parking lots that currently line many downtown streets. Not only has the central business district become a place for people to work, live and play, neighbourhoods such as SOBRO (South of Broadway) and the Gulch are breaking away from their industrial past to become urban hot spots thanks to several hundred new residential units, office spaces, hotels, restaurants and shops blooming at every corner.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 12:23 AM
Future God

Tired of all the new highrises? Too bad. Here's another! Le Meridien Hotel, 20 stories, south side of KVB across from the Omni.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/mone...site/76575564/

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 1:29 AM

Make it stop!

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
Tired of all the new highrises? Too bad. Here's another! Le Meridien Hotel, 20 stories, south side of KVB across from the Omni.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/mone...site/76575564/

Okay... so one corner of the building I like. At least the designer made an effort to take a box and give a twist of sorts. If the other corners are not as exposed (blocked by other buildings) then I have no issue. However if they are equally as open, then from most views this building will look like just another box.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 12:29 PM
Nashville born and raised

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowTalk4 View Post
Okay... so one corner of the building I like. At least the designer made an effort to take a box and give a twist of sorts. If the other corners are not as exposed (blocked by other buildings) then I have no issue. However if they are equally as open, then from most views this building will look like just another box.
The Joseph Hotel will likely be surrounded on two sides by other planned hotels; a 20 story Marriott (to begin construction March 2016) and a 14 story Holiday Inn and the block will look something like this....

It's pretty crazy right now in Nashville.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 3:47 PM

Quote:
The Joseph Hotel will likely be surrounded on two sides by other planned hotels; a 20 story Marriott (to begin construction March 2016) and a 14 story Holiday Inn and the block will look something like this....

It's pretty crazy right now in Nashville.

That gives a better perspective of how the hotel will be viewed. I'm not excited about the design, but I give them credit for making an effort to add an unexpected design element to a box. Maybe the materials used while make it stand out more and enhance the look. It'll certainly look better than the Holiday Inn....

Here's an update from the Tennessean today:

Luxury hotel concept approved

In other business Tuesday, MDHA's design review committee approved concept plans for the 300-room Luxury Collection hotel Columbus, Ohio-based The Pizzuti Cos. plans for a 0.75-acre site at Korean Veterans Boulevard and Fourth Avenue South.

The developer, however, has to return for review, including related to active use, glazing, bike parking and signage.

The Joseph Nashville hotel will occupy 14 floors including ballroom space. The five levels of parking will include 380 spaces with 180 for exclusive use by the Nashville Symphony, which has an agreement to sell the project site to The Pizzuti Cos. A restaurant and bar will be on the ground floor with amenities including a fitness center and spa on the rooftop.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 4:18 PM

I realize this is SKYSCRAPERpage.com. And it is rightly about taller buildings. But if the mods will indulge me, I'd like to post this here because I like the design and wish there was more of this style built around town. I realize, this one will be costing a lot to build and will have condos with high prices, over $1 million. I find it interesting that West End Park is getting more of this style than the ubiquitous box style buildings, which I'm sure are more economical to build on a larger scale.

Picture and story courtesy of Nashvillepost.com http://nashvillepost.com/news/2015/1..._west_end_park

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 2:01 AM

The West End/Richland area seems to be getting more of the classic architecture. It really fits with the neighborhood. That area seems to attract more of the old money, establishment types whereas Midtown/Music Row/Gulch seem to be getting the younger, "new money." West End wealth seems to be attracted to the symphony and ballet whereas the other areas seem to be attracted to luxury boxes at the Preds and Titans games. I think both are great, and I'm not saying one group is better than the other.....just different.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 3:23 AM
Future God

That is a really nice building. I totally agree. West End Park on the whole though just really gets under my skin whenever I see it. It has so much potential, and enough density to be a vibrant urban neighborhood, but it's such a random mess. There's a suburban style street layout, zero connectivity, zero cohesion, zero character, zero retail, zero transit, zero anything really other than a collection of multi-family residential buildings with no relation to one another. Parts of it don't even have sidewalks. It needs a lot of help.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 8:54 PM

I wanted to stop by and show you the rendering of theproposed Atlanta Polercoaster. It is supposed to be part of an entertainment district connected to a youth sports development that is already underway. This is not the newest rendering but the only thing that has changed is the hotel you see to the left of the tower is now a Margaritaville branded one. There's a nearby Bass Pro that has a proposed lodge as well.

It's to have a cinema and a bowling alley/laser tag/arcade as part of it. The cinema is clearly seen.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 3:16 PM

Sorry for the unnecessary bump. Trying to sort out my photobucket problems.

Enjoy the picture..

...and this musical interlude from Nashville's Conway Twitty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og1QRtcWdEY

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 11:03 PM

The proposed Virgin Hotel is to get an extensive redesign as the property and project has been taken over by Virgin CEO Richard Branson himself. It is scheduled for a 2016 start and a 2018 opening.

The original design...

I hope the new design retains the 'Funky Euro' look.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Sorry for the unnecessary bump. Trying to sort out my photobucket problems.

Enjoy the picture..

That's a nice perspective of how the office building being proposed for the old convention center site will front Commerce street and 5th Ave. N. I like how it bridges the gap of space between One Nashville Place (First Union Tower) and the Renaissance Hotel. The view of the apartment building sitting back from Commerce Street should be nicely framed by the office tower and the hotel.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 12:06 AM

Quote:
The proposed Virgin Hotel is to get an extensive redesign as the property and project has been taken over by Virgin CEO Richard Branson himself. It is scheduled for a 2016 start and a 2018 opening.

The original design...

I hope the new design retains the 'Funky Euro' look.
I'd like to see more height and something more inline with Asian and Middle Eastern modern architecture.

Update: Per the Tennessean, it looks like Virgin will be going to single tower and eliminating the residential component. So the property will primarily be a hotel and there will be recording studio space as well. There was no mention of there being a change in the number of rooms for the hotel which announced previously at 240. They are in the process of redesigning the building into 1 tower. I suspect we'll be looking at a 10-15 story building. 20 max. I guess it just depends on how much of a footprint he wants the building to have on the lot which I believe is a little over an acre.

Last edited by PillowTalk4; Dec 10, 2015 at 7:43 PM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 3:01 PM

New renderings for the proposed Federal Courthouse have been released. It looks like they may have just 'dumbed down' the beautiful and original Michael Graves design for cost savings purposes. The general scope and features are still the same.

Sad.

It is still proposed for the new budget, whenever that is passed.

Last edited by MidTenn1; Nov 25, 2018 at 3:08 AM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 4:32 PM

New Courthouse

Actually I consider the revision to the façade an improvement. Michael Graves to me is vastly over-rated. He reminds me of late Victorian practice of loading up facades with fussy decoration. I would have preferred a complete redesign by a more current architect rather than this outdated design over a decade old.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations