HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todspe67 View Post
As they should - the last thing this city needs is more urban sprawl into prime agriculture land.
I don't think i would call this area prime farm land plus this is in Kanata if it was outside of the kanata/Stittsville area i would have a issue but this area is prime for devlopement.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Sweet gentle Moses on a Moses-stick, even by the appallingly bad standards, such as they are, of Ottawa, that's awful.
I was in Palm springs a few year back and this is what there outlet center looks like i think the Ottawa one might be a big bigger.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 11:39 PM

Concerns over agricultural land are unlikely to find their way into any backlash against the Tangers project.

More likely: Concerns over increased traffic on people's residential streets, thus increasing their driving time to get anywhere.

Key: Driving, cars, my car, traffic....

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 4:17 PM
National Capital Region

Update for the Centrecorp Plaza at Hazeldean/Huntmar

Old Posted Mar 11, 2012, 4:22 PM
National Capital Region

a couple of development applications for the trainyards... frontage on Industrial

http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__81CXCA
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__8177YO

Old Posted Mar 11, 2012, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
a couple of development applications for the trainyards... frontage on Industrial

http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__81CXCA
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__8177YO
Frontage directly on Industrial? Totally pointless. Industrial is not a mainstreet (and there is no real reason for it to be, going through an older business area) and best suited for office and industrial purposes.

The growth of the Trainyards makes me wonder - if an opportunity exists for densification there, it might practically replace St. Laurent Shopping Centre, which is already IMO the most dated of Ottawa's major malls and in the poorest location today of any of them given the demographics of the area.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2012, 6:46 PM

Quote:

I wonder if "Proposed Department Store" could be a future Target?! Would be able to serve Stittsville and Kanata. I'm not sure if Target planned on keeping the Hazeldean Mall Zellers or not.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2012, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
I wonder if "Proposed Department Store" could be a future Target?! Would be able to serve Stittsville and Kanata. I'm not sure if Target planned on keeping the Hazeldean Mall Zellers or not.
That sounds very reasonable actually. It is difficult to convert mall stores especially if expansion is desired. I'm surprised the Walmart at Lincoln Fields has stayed open so long, for example...

Old Posted Mar 11, 2012, 11:49 PM
Progressive Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
That sounds very reasonable actually. It is difficult to convert mall stores especially if expansion is desired. I'm surprised the Walmart at Lincoln Fields has stayed open so long, for example...
Where else could Walmart open that would serve that part of the city?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 4:15 AM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Frontage directly on Industrial? Totally pointless. Industrial is not a mainstreet (and there is no real reason for it to be, going through an older business area) and best suited for office and industrial purposes.

The growth of the Trainyards makes me wonder - if an opportunity exists for densification there, it might practically replace St. Laurent Shopping Centre, which is already IMO the most dated of Ottawa's major malls and in the poorest location today of any of them given the demographics of the area.
The whole area is designated as a mixed use centre in the Official Plan so the intention is for more intensive development along that part of Industrial eventually. Plus for the shopping centre there is finally more frontage on the street - It was always a little strange that you could hardly see it from a major arterial.

St Laurent has plans to freshen things up... major expansion plans to become the 10th largest indoor mall in Canada
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=172002

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 5:44 AM

Quote:

if you go through both proposals.. it's quite clear that only the first of the 2 applications will have frontage on industrial (it will be an LCBO) and the frontage is mere fake frontage. (corner entrance from the parking lot inside the trainyards)

you also see that the owners of the trainyards own the land directly in front of this location (on the other side of industrial) so obviously that part of industrial will eventually be completely different..

who knows with the new construction going on right now on industrial close to the corner of alta vista (retirement condo complex) there could be more residential build up further along industrial .. and these kind of fake(ish) frontage could make sense

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Funny because I find it to be the best located of the malls. I have lived downtown for 12 years and I do all my mall shopping at St. Laurent because it's two minutes from downtown and has lots of parking. All of my downtown friends do their mall shopping there as well....why pay for parking at Rideau and face the hordes of tourists and transit riders?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
Yes there will be a Target in the Hazeldean Mall.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 1:57 PM

Quote:

Do you know has it been approved?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Funny because I find it to be the best located of the malls. I have lived downtown for 12 years and I do all my mall shopping at St. Laurent because it's two minutes from downtown and has lots of parking. All of my downtown friends do their mall shopping there as well....why pay for parking at Rideau and face the hordes of tourists and transit riders?
I just find it to be less attractive than the other major malls in terms of local demographics, removed from tourism and in a relatively lower-income area of Ottawa. Also the loss of ramps from the 417 in the upcoming construction may also hurt it. It does have good transit connections though...

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
I just find it to be less attractive than the other major malls in terms of local demographics, removed from tourism and in a relatively lower-income area of Ottawa. Also the loss of ramps from the 417 in the upcoming construction may also hurt it. It does have good transit connections though...
... As compared to the upper class enclave of Bayshore?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
... As compared to the upper class enclave of Bayshore?
West end as a whole.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
West end as a whole.
There is some high end area in the west end.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 11:19 AM
Citizen-at-large

Quote:
West end as a whole.
Compared to the East End as a whole? Which includes Rockliffe Park, Rothwell Heights, Alta Vista, etc? These aren't well-off areas?

The east of the city is just as diverse as the west in terms of income levels. Saint Laurent is as well (or better) positioned to pick up shoppers in the east end as Bayshore is for the west, and better positioned in terms of the central area.

Personally I also find it a less 'tired' mall as well. Just compare the two food courts, or the quality of hallway furniture.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawan View Post
Compared to the East End as a whole? Which includes Rockliffe Park, Rothwell Heights, Alta Vista, etc? These aren't well-off areas?

The east of the city is just as diverse as the west in terms of income levels. Saint Laurent is as well (or better) positioned to pick up shoppers in the east end as Bayshore is for the west, and better positioned in terms of the central area.

Personally I also find it a less 'tired' mall as well. Just compare the two food courts, or the quality of hallway furniture.
Both ends have there well off areas.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs