HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 5:31 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempedude View Post

I also think that the light rail should be run to Westgate. Connecting Mesa, Tempe, Phoenix, and Glendale via light rail would be awsome.
Agree -- but only if the route goes to Westgate via DT Glendale. The other route I've heard proposed -- along the 101 alignment -- would favor new sprawlish development on the fringes over an established walkable business district. A properly aligned route, on the other hand, would link the old and new of Glendale effectively.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 6:57 AM
Skyriser

^ It's still slated for Northern Avenue.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 7:25 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
^ It's still slated for Northern Avenue.
Northern? That doesn't make much sense. I thought Glendale Ave was the front runner, which would make sense. That way, it would run through Downtown Glendale, and then easily connect to Westgate.

EDIT: VVV I've never heard anything about Northern being turned into a parkway, do you have a link for that? I sort of thought for a long while that Northern would eventually be turned into a park/freeway, as isn't a East-West high speed route through the Lower North Phoenix area.

Last edited by HooverDam; Jul 15, 2008 at 11:10 AM.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 5:30 AM

Northern would be a terrible route considering they are turning it into a 6 or 7 lane parkway. It won't be pedestrian friendly at all. Also, Northern is pretty much zoned for industrial parks and has a couple of cemeteries between 59th and 75th. Glendale ave would be the best route because it would help to redevelop the area between 59th and 83rd. However, I don't see how they would be able to fit light rail through old town, seeing as how Glendale ave is so condensed in that area.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 2:15 PM
zzzzzzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
EDIT: VVV I've never heard anything about Northern being turned into a parkway, do you have a link for that?
It's mentioned in the RTP, but there's not much detail. See this page - Northern is listed as the first bullet point under "Street Improvements."

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 2:50 PM

Some pictures of them installing the acrylic tubes for the ride through aquarium at Wildlife World Zoo.

Taken from www.wildlifeworldzoo.com

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 3:13 PM
Dbacks baby!

The aquarium looks like it going to be really cool. I'll need to pay Wildlife World Zoo a visit when the exhibit opens.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2008, 9:01 PM

From: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/olym...asketball.html

Quote:
Glendale nears deal for USA Hoops HQ
by Craig Harris - Jul. 18, 2008 07:21 PM
The Arizona Republic
An agreement in principle could be reached by next week for USA Basketball, the governing body for the U.S. men's and women's Olympic teams, to move its headquarters to Glendale.

"It appears there is a lot of progress being made. People are hopeful there will be a memorandum of understanding signed before the (Olympic) team takes off for China," said Jerry Colangelo, managing director of USA Basketball's men's Olympic team. "The city of Glendale and their people have been very aggressive and very creative in putting a package together."

Colangelo, in a phone interview Friday with The Arizona Republic, said the best-case scenario is to have something in writing before all the principals involved with USA Basketball head to China on Friday for the Olympics.

Glendale; Louisville, Ky.; and Colorado Springs, Colo., which currently is home to USA Basketball, are the three finalists for the headquarters, where younger teams that compete internationally also are trained.

Landing the headquarters enhances the community's image and is likely to generate economic development with spending by visiting athletes, family members and sponsors.

Craig Miller, assistant executive director of USA Basketball, said details are being worked out with all the cities and added that a decision had not been made. The organization has said it hopes to make a decision by this summer.

A Louisville official said she had not heard anything regarding Glendale, and Colorado Springs officials did not return calls.

But Colangelo said "everything was moving in the right direction" for Glendale, and he was very optimistic that the city will secure the headquarters.

"We hope there will be some announcements before we leave," Colangelo said. "Everything is moving along very well."

Glendale has enhanced its proposal by bringing in at least five business partners who would be responsible for helping build a training complex and office space, according to city officials.

"We feel we have a strong proposal that needs to be ironed out," City Manager Ed Beasley said. "We have partners in this deal that make it unique."

Beasley would not reveal the identities of those partners. He said the offer also would include sports medicine, fitness, education and entertainment components in addition to USA Basketball facilities. It was the first time the city had acknowledged that it was collaborating with a specific number of businesses.

"We are looking at partners coming into the deal and a commitment from their individual standpoints on how they can move their products and business plans forward," Beasley said. "We have the same vision. It's an international holistic approach."

If the city gets USA Basketball, Beasley said the headquarters would be near the sports complex that houses University of Phoenix Stadium, Jobing.com Arena and the new spring-training facility for the Los Angeles Dodgers and Chicago White Sox.

He declined to disclose a specific location.

"The other amenities are a huge advantage for us," Beasley said.

The city, which spent $180 million on the hockey arena, has not said how much it would spend on a USA Basketball headquarters.

Glendale Mayor Elaine Scruggs said the basketball headquarters would be one more link and a catalyst for growth in the sports and entertainment district, which has been built in the past five years.

Councilman Phil Lieberman said he sees the benefit of landing the training center to attract year-round visitors.

"Training camps will run 12 months per year, rather than seven months for hockey and five months for football," he said.

Marc Ganis, a sports-business consultant with Chicago-based SportsCorp Ltd., said that if Glendale secures USA Basketball, it could open the doors for more Olympic organizations to move their headquarters to the West Valley.

He said other Olympic sports are looking for better facilities and added that metropolitan Phoenix has the advantage of having a major airport, existing facilities and outstanding weather.

"The Valley has quite a few attributes, and Glendale is a leader in the Valley with sports," Ganis said. "It's not surprising Jerry Colangelo and his people had something to do with this."

USA Basketball has been based in Colorado Springs since 1979 and has a staff of up to 20 people.

Julie Frisoni, a Glendale spokeswoman, said that with USA Basketball's relationship with the NCAA and NBA, there is potential to bring new events to the sports complex. She also said the city's proposal would include facilities for youth sports.

Frisoni added that even if USA Basketball agrees in principle to come to Glendale, the City Council could not approve a memorandum of understanding until at least Aug. 12, the next regularly scheduled council meeting. However, that meeting coincides with the Olympics, and she said any action likely would not happen until the Summer Games are over.
Well just another thing to add to the list of things to thank Jerry Colangelo for. I hope this happens, it would be nice for the West Valley, and as a basketball but myself it would mean probably getting the chance to see Team USA scrimmages and stuff in the future.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2008, 9:54 PM
Skyriser

^ What were one of the first things?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2008, 11:03 PM
Dbacks baby!

Jerry Colangelo has been very good to Phoenix. If Colangelo thinks things are going well for USA Basketball to move its HQ to Glendale, then chances are way better than 50% that it is going to happen.

Check out Colangelo's Bio. Man has he ever done so much for Phoenix and the Valley of the Sun. The man is like a hero:

Quote:
SUNS:Jerry Colangelo Bio

JERRY COLANGELO
Chairman

Jerry Colangelo arrived in the Valley of the Sun in 1968 to take over the expansion Phoenix Suns NBA franchise as the youngest general manager in professional sports and has since guided the Suns into one of the most successful organizations in the NBA. He brought Major League Baseball to the Valley in 1998 and was chairman of the 2001 World Champion Arizona Diamondbacks. Colangelo was the key element in facilitating the move of the NHL’s Winnipeg Jets to the Valley of the Sun to become the Phoenix Coyotes. Colangelo was also on the founding committee for the WNBA, and the Phoenix Mercury were one of the league’s inaugural teams in 1997.

The former Chairman of the NBA’s Board of Governors, Colangelo has had a major influence on the growth of the NBA. With the Suns, his roles have included general manager, head coach, president, managing general partner, chief executive officer and now chairman. The 39-year tenure with one franchise is the longest in the NBA. Colangelo spent two seasons with the Chicago Bulls working as marketing director, scout and assistant to the president before moving to the Valley to help start the expansion Suns.

Colangelo’s impact on the sports scene in Phoenix and the game of basketball has been so great, he was elected to the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in April 2004. He has been among The Sporting News most powerful people in sports for over the last decade and he was appointed to the newly-created position of Managing Director of the USA Basketball Men’s Senior National Team program for the 2005-2008 quadrennium in April 2005.

Colangelo’s commitment to the Valley transcends sports and he is well-known as one of the city’s most active community leaders. In recognition of his efforts in the community, Phoenix mayor Phil Gordon proclaimed March 26, 2004, Jerry Colangelo Day in the city of Phoenix. The Valley of the Sun United Way also bestowed its highest honor, the Spirit of Caring award, to Colangelo on June 30, 2005, for his passion for improving lives in the community.

Colangelo enrolled at the University of Kansas, but transferred after his prospective teammate, Wilt Chamberlain, left the Jayhawks for a pro contract. Colangelo transferred to the University of Illinois, where he earned All-Big Ten honors, captained the Illini as a senior and was later inducted into the Illinois Basketball Hall of Fame. He also played two years of baseball at Illinois.

Born November 20, 1939, Colangelo grew up in the “Hungry Hill” neighborhood of Chicago Heights. Colangelo and his wife, Joan, whom he met on a blind date while at the University of Illinois, have four children: Kathy Holcombe, Kristen Brubaker, Bryan, and Mandie Colangelo, and six granddaughters and four grandsons.
edit: I was watching a sport show the other day where Colangelo was being interviewed. They were talking about him taking over Stern's position with the NBA. Colangelo someday (he indicated that he wanted to), and is sort of next in line to do so, may take Stern's job. Oh please make that true oh great gods of basketball, sooner rather than later.

BTW: back on topic for glendale and west valley stuff. carry on

Last edited by tempedude; Jul 20, 2008 at 12:35 AM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2008, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
^ What were one of the first things?
The Suns, D'backs, Coyotes and Cardinals all are here in part because of him. You may not be a sports fan, but to deny the economic impact that Jerry Colangelo has had on the Valley is quite silly. We wouldn't have things like Super Bowls, All Star Games, NCAA Tournaments, etc in the Valley if it wasn't for Colangelo. He put a new arena and a ballpark in downtown, when he didn't have to. He could've chosen to put them on the fringes and let downtown whither away even more. Largely because of him, millions of people come downtown every year that otherwise wouldn't.

Colangelo has been a relentless promoter of Phoenix, specifically of the Central City. Sure he may not have always got things right (I wish Chase Field interacted with the street along its North Face better), but he's not an urban planner, he's a sports mogul.

I can't think of a single private individual who's done more to help promote the Valley and help it grow

EDIT: Just a little story that I think is nice. When Phoenix hosted the 1975 All Star Game, Colangelo used his own money to buy some tv time before the game. He had them show various shots of the Valley and our stunning scenery and sunsets while Glenn Campbells "By the Time I get to Phoenix" played. I don't think thats something a greedy, only out for himself kind of guy would do. He knew that thousands of people would be watching that game, a lot of them freezing their butts of in January and maybe a few would see the scenery and the warm sun and decide to come out here for themselves. He's constantly promoted Phoenix and done the best he could for the city, and for that he certainly deserves a tip of all our caps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempedude View Post

edit: I was watching a sport show the other day where Colangelo was being interviewed. They were talking about him taking over Stern's position with the NBA. Colangelo someday (he indicated that he wanted to), and is sort of next in line to do so, may take Stern's job. Oh please make that true oh great gods of basketball, sooner rather than later.
That would be terrific for the NBA. David Stern is incompetent in nearly every conceivable way. He routinely misdiagnosis the NBAs problem (i.e. the stupid dress code), enforces silly rules that hurt the league (i.e. the Amare/Diaw suspensions) and defends his crooked refs to his grave. Bring on JC I say.

Last edited by HooverDam; Jul 20, 2008 at 2:26 AM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2008, 3:01 AM

Northern

My family has known me for harping on various topics like Biodiesel, Apple computers and quite often a second east/west thuroughfare across Phoenix. My dad was born at GoodSam in 1943 and has told me this was a big issue in Phoenix in the 50s 60s and early 70s but then fadded away. For years I thought the best two possiblities were Northern and Cactus/Thunderbird but the former was slightly better than the latter. Frankly, I think they need to go ahead with a full fledged divided highway (and do the same with Grand) but I know they want to make the transition gradual. Any improvement will make life much easier for those living inside the loop.

Last edited by Phxbyrd211; Jul 20, 2008 at 5:36 AM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2008, 5:47 PM

I just wanted to point out, in case anyone isn't clear, that the Northern Parkway will go from Loop 303 to Grand Ave. This only really helps west Glendale, and the very far reaches of what will be Glendale once they annex out past the base.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 3:14 AM

What the hell is going on in Glendale!?

From the FAA...

2008-AWP-4442-OE Glendale AZ Building Height: 335 ft.

2008-AWP-4443-OE Glendale AZ Building Height: 335 ft.

2008-AWP-4440-OE Glendale AZ Building Height: 335 ft.

2008-AWP-4441-OE Glendale AZ Building Height: 335 ft.

2008-AWP-4446-OE Glendale AZ Building Height: 492 ft

2008-AWP-4447-OE Glendale AZ Building Height: 492 ft.

2008-AWP-4444-OE Glendale AZ Building Height: 492 ft.

2008-AWP-4445-OE Glendale AZ Building Height: 492 ft

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 3:19 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
lets see....

shootings, stabbings, auto thefts, illegitimate children produced by cholos with weapons, and a lot of straight thuggery.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 3:22 AM

You're awful!!

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 3:34 AM
Dbacks baby!

^no he is stupid...

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 5:01 AM

Northern

Zooming, you man only be the bearer of bad news but I'm upset with you none the less . I'd always advocated Norther be devided only between Grand and the 51. That was the beauty of it, that it would be all that long and no as expensive. Who cares what happens west of the 60? Nobody lives between the 101 and 303! What you need is a quick and easy way to move across town between the I10 and the 101. If you drive Northern during rush-hour today that drive might take you 40 minutes when it should only take 15 min.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post

From the FAA...

2008-AWP-4442-OE Glendale AZ Building Height: 335 ft.

2008-AWP-4443-OE Glendale AZ Building Height: 335 ft.

2008-AWP-4440-OE Glendale AZ Building Height: 335 ft.

2008-AWP-4441-OE Glendale AZ Building Height: 335 ft.

2008-AWP-4446-OE Glendale AZ Building Height: 492 ft

2008-AWP-4447-OE Glendale AZ Building Height: 492 ft.

2008-AWP-4444-OE Glendale AZ Building Height: 492 ft.

2008-AWP-4445-OE Glendale AZ Building Height: 492 ft
HX Guy do these permits point to a specific address or location?

JV, what's your problem lately? Seriously, I know you like to post abrasively humurous post but damn lately you've just come accross neither funny, whitty nor even slightly amusing. You just come accross as a jerk. Not picking a fight with you just pointing out that you've posted on various threads with nothing more than shallow insults.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 4:42 PM
BANNED

hey i grew up on the westside I only speak the truth.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest