HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Dec 29, 2010, 1:36 AM
The Vomit Bag.

^true 'nuff. A downtown grocery store (not that shitty value mart on Oxfart) would be fantastic for the core. Maybe not so much for some of the food vendors in Covent Garden, however.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2010, 10:59 AM
bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
The redevelopment of the Princess street apt is very nice and as an ex-Londoner I have to admit I have no idea where it is.
Can someone let me know?
The building's on Princess between Colborne and Waterloo.

And I definitely agree with the talks about a downtown grocery store. As someone without a car, having a grocery store nearby is pretty important to me. My last two apartments had grocery stores within comfortable walking distance and my next one will as well. I'd actually love to live downtown, but no grocery store is a deal-breaker.

Looks like my first London apartment will be in Old South or something instead.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 5:03 PM
Beefeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
^true 'nuff. A downtown grocery store (not that shitty value mart on Oxfart) would be fantastic for the core. Maybe not so much for some of the food vendors in Covent Garden, however.
I love the meat deals that go down in Valumart.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 9:26 PM

I like that Valu-Mart. It's small enough you can find what you need, and it's close to the sidewalk so as a pedestrian you don't have to walk across a massive parking lot to get to it.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 2:36 AM
Londoner

Yet-built office nearly full

Update!!!

Before a shovel was even in the ground, London’s first downtown commercial development in more than 15 years has already leased much of its space.

City and business leaders Tuesday officially took the wraps off the $10 million, 30,000-square-foot commercial plaza which will go up in the parking lot at Richmond and Carling streets, next to Moxie’s, that will be home to an expanded Shoppers Drug Mart, and an insurance broker moving to the core.

“This is good news, for the new year, and it won’t be the last, especially for downtown,” said Mayor Joe Fontana, who helped break ground on the site.

“I foresee big things happening in this city over the coming months and years . . . This development sends an important signal.”

Along with Shoppers, Robertson Hall Insurance brokerage firm will move from Wellington Rd. to the core, leaving about 7,000 sq. ft. to lease in the three-story building.

“We’ve wanted to be in the centre of the city for a while, but there was not a development we wanted. We were looking for exposure, a building with some identity,” said Ken Hall, president of Robertson Hall Insurance.

“I was born and raised in London. I used to go downtown to Simpson’s and Kingsmill’s. We wanted to be down here. Things are getting better and we want to be part of it.”

The broker will lease 10,000 sq. ft. for its 35 employees.

Rocco Tullio, president of Rock Developments in Windsor, is building the new office building and also bought the former Canadian Tire store in Masonville, redeveloping 75,000 sq. ft. of commercial space, a $13 million investment.

“I like London a lot. It is a little more insulated against the economic downturn, and the economy. It is well populated and has a diverse culture,” said Tullio.

“But the most important thing is our tenants want to be here. Shoppers was a driving force saying they want a new home downtown.”

The drug store will close its store on Dundas St., just west of Richmond.

Peter Whatmore, senior vice-president CB. Richard Ellis commercial realtor, believes the new space is a sign of things to come.

“It is a great story: new business moving downtown; another relocating and expanding here. It is positive news,” said Whatmore.

As for the core, Fontana plans on holding a downtown summit to discuss issues from from arts and culture to residential and commercial issues, he added.

“The downtown is the heart, soul and spirit of a city. Getting more residential and commercial development is crucial to the well being of the core,” said Fontana.

Construction will begin in mid January and be completed by August, with tenants moving in in September.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 3:24 AM

Wonder what will go in the existing Shoppers space. The McDonald's next to it is pretty crowded, I wonder if they'll expand into the space and the rest of the space going to another retail use.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 5:47 AM

^ I sure as hell hope not, the current McDonald's is already bad enough.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 1:56 PM
The Vomit Bag.

burgers mingling with the smell of pee from the winos outside at D&R.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 8:14 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

Has anyone seen the new building under construction near Oxford and Third street? It has something to do with Fanshawe (although I can't remember what exactly) and it's pretty modern and sleek. I really like it.

Also, has anybody been to the airport lately to see the expansion? I'd like to know if I'll be able to use the new jetways when I go on a trip in March!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpseatles View Post
Has anyone seen the new building under construction near Oxford and Third street? It has something to do with Fanshawe (although I can't remember what exactly) and it's pretty modern and sleek. I really like it.

Also, has anybody been to the airport lately to see the expansion? I'd like to know if I'll be able to use the new jetways when I go on a trip in March!
Not sure what that building is either aside from having something to do with Fanshawe but I agree it is very nice looking.

The expansion is supposed to be finished March/April of this year so you may get lucky .

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 10:06 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlippery519 View Post
The expansion is supposed to be finished March/April of this year so you may get lucky .
^Thanks, that's good to know!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2011, 2:46 AM
User Registered

It's called the centre for transportation studies or something. It will be a green, state of the art building once complete.

When I looked into it in more detail, it mostly deals with automotive repair and whatnot.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 1:14 AM

OMB kills local business

http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2.../17049511.html

All I can say, if a nail salon was that big of a problem for nearby residents, they must have easy lives and not know what real hardships are like. These people should get lives and suck it up. In other parts of the world they would have been laughed out of town.

Personally, I welcome small businesses anywhere they choose to locate. This is just another demonstration that London is closed for business.

Last edited by manny_santos; Jan 28, 2011 at 1:25 AM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 4:09 PM
Beefeater

I'm all for small business in London but I can't really see blame on anyone here but the property owners. It is only good business practise to check zoning regulations when deciding to start a business. Had this been done they would have realized they had a problem.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 6:34 PM

Oxford/Wonderland

Anyone else agree that that mall should be teared down by now... (sears outlet can relocate to some Power Centre..

I think its just a huge waste of empty space...

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 9:28 PM

^
Nooo Bubble King makes the place

Yeah huge waste of space.

Is that Price Chopper still there?

Either way, Sears can move closer to Byron (I cannot think of a Sears close to Byron other than Westmount Mall).

Kelsey's, well I wouldn't mind them moving next door to my place as well as Tim Horton's (that'd make my life).

I always find it funny how the Kelsey's sign there is always missing the letters "K, Y, and S" spelling "else" Like they're intending you to go somewhere else.

Anyways, yeah, move Sears, and Kelsey's. Now you have a huge space for development (ie. apartments).

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper09 View Post
^
Nooo Bubble King makes the place

Yeah huge waste of space.

Is that Price Chopper still there?

Either way, Sears can move closer to Byron (I cannot think of a Sears close to Byron other than Westmount Mall).

Kelsey's, well I wouldn't mind them moving next door to my place as well as Tim Horton's (that'd make my life).

I always find it funny how the Kelsey's sign there is always missing the letters "K, Y, and S" spelling "else" Like they're intending you to go somewhere else.

Anyways, yeah, move Sears, and Kelsey's. Now you have a huge space for development (ie. apartments).
Yes, please tear down London Mall. Price Chopper has been gone for a couple of years, and the place is an eyesore.

In its heyday the mall had Kmart, Food City, and Dairy Queen (serving both chicken nuggets and beef nuggets). I don't recall Kelsey's being there before 1991 but I may be wrong.

I would propose a new, smaller plaza closer to the intersection of Oxford and Wonderland, keeping the few tenants that are left, and then allow some of the land at the rear of the property closest to Mud Creek to return to nature. Sears Outlet Store can move to East London.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highinthesky View Post
I'm all for small business in London but I can't really see blame on anyone here but the property owners. It is only good business practise to check zoning regulations when deciding to start a business. Had this been done they would have realized they had a problem.
I agree with that, but I also think the zoning bylaws are too strict. There is no practical reason in my mind for a property along Oxford Street to be a strictly residential property. As far as I'm concerned, if someone wants to buy the property and live there, that's their business, but if someone else wants to start a business on the site, that should be their business too. The City of London Zoning Bylaw makes it too hard for entrepreneurs to put businesses in areas close to customers.

Zoning bylaws do have their purpose, for example preventing me from buying 24 residential properties in Byron and establishing an oil refinery or a food processing plant on the site, but they also create a lot of red tape for small businesses who want to be close to their customers. My experience in other parts of the world is that small businesses have a much easier time locating in residential neighbourhoods, and local residents need not drive anywhere to buy fresh fruit, vegetables, or meat. Southwest Byron was one of the areas identified in the "food desert" study as having no close access to a grocery store, and with virtually the entire area being zoned low-density residential, the area will likely never get commercial servicing beyond a Mac's store.

Last edited by manny_santos; Jan 29, 2011 at 2:06 AM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
My experience in other parts of the world is that small businesses have a much easier time locating in residential neighbourhoods, and local residents need not drive anywhere to buy fresh fruit, vegetables, or meat. Southwest Byron was one of the areas identified in the "food desert" study as having no close access to a grocery store, and with virtually the entire area being zoned low-density residential, the area will likely never get commercial servicing beyond a Mac's store.
And that's not a problem for folks who live in Byron... that is until you have that Herring vendor move in and is backing that truck up next door to you at 5 in the morning on a Saturday to sell fish, that truck dumping the fish beside your house in the July heat, and having several hundred or thousand walking on your lawn to buy fish all day. Wonderful.

Oh where is that fish? Fishy fish fish? Is it here, is it there, is it in your front yard?

Sorry. but you are dead wrong. Ontario's zoning regulations are a global model. If you want the sort of thing that you speak of, go to Texas. Only in such places can you have a residential area, petrochemical factory, gun shop, and federal prison complete with execution chamber all within a 12 block radius.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 2:37 PM

The site for the new shoppers on richmond was fenced off . drove by on the bus so i couldn't get a pick sorry

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates