HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 2:54 PM
Exit 298

I don't get it.

When it comes to real politics ... education funding and reform, funding for highways it takes years years years......

Yet they can OK a goofy soccer stadium in 24 hours. What's up with that?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
there is a major difference.. this wasn't taxes on the people and it wasn't needed to be put up to a vote. And against the will of the people? all we have is a 250 person informal poll..
As Jedi said, public money is public money. If they could have used that money to improve a sewer system and instead built a stadium, they're now going to have to find the money to improve the sewer system from somewhere else, which will probably be right out of your pocket.

The funding for the Cardinal Stadium came from hotel and car-rental taxes, so it's very similar.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
I don't get it.

When it comes to real politics ... education funding and reform, funding for highways it takes years years years......

Yet they can OK a goofy soccer stadium in 24 hours. What's up with that?

I see your point and I agree.. but, that's the way it is all over America.. As a soccer fan, I am very excited but understand those that couldn't give a rip about RSL are not too pleased about this. At the same time, most people would be pleased as punch if this were a MLB, NFL or some other stadium/attraction that was widely loved..

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 3:47 PM

Quote:
The funding for the Cardinal Stadium came from hotel and car-rental taxes, so it's very similar.
That is the same funding source for the RSL Stadium. The tax levied is the TRT tax and it is specifically levied for the stadium. It can't be used for anything else without legislative approval.

On the stadium vote in the house. There is a better then 90% chance that we will know before noon about the vote. Also, Checketts is reported to be on his way to SLC...Coincidence?...I really hope not and really want to see a nice news conference showing the Gov signing the bill to law and Checketts signing off on the deal.

Now, if Checketts will talk to Rocky and get some sort of offer to build his Broadcasting studio and hotel in SLC somewhere...I think we would all consider this to be a big win/win for everyone.

If I wasn't feeling so sick, I would be even more anticipatory towards the noon time potential.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 4:00 PM

This is money that was earmarked for tourism (TRT tax taxing people who stay in a hotel room about an average of $1-2 dollars per night). The tax was originally set up to fund the Salt Palace extension. The tax was set to expire, but the boys up on the hill decided to keep it in place to fund the infrastructure at the stadium site. This money is not generated from the normal tax revenues, and was created specifically to fund tourism. They decided to allocate their tourism dollars to help with a project they felt brought additional tourism to the state. I understand the tax argument, but without the possible stadium deal, this tax would have simply expired.

This is much more than a stadium, or a real estate development. It is about gaining some international spotlight. The team has a strong relationship with arguably one of the most famous sporting teams in the world (Real Madrid). Real has agreed to come to Utah to play again in 2008, and every two years following that. They have also stated that they are going to set up a soccer academy here in Utah. People from all over the world will come to this academy. With all of these things in place, and the relatively risk free investment the state/county has to make, it makes sense to push this through.

Regarding polls that state that 70% of the public does not support the stadium deal. I would urge you to look at how they ask the questions. As I am sure several of you know, it is easy to skew numbers in one direction or another depending on how you ask the question.

A recent poll on KUTV asked the question: "Should the legislature force Salt Lake County to pay for a stadium for Real? " This poll was available on their website. I will preface this by saying I too put very little weight in these polls, but the poll was pulled from the website after about three hours. The result of the poll before it was pulled? 53% no, 47% yes. So, one could argue that even with a biased question, these poll numbers are much closer than the 70% poll everyone that is against the stadium deal keeps preaching.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 4:11 PM

Excellent points NewKid, Speaking of the Salt Palace and this room tax having been set aside for these types of specific funding. How loudly and short sightedly did these same types so opposed to the Stadium, argue against the need for the original Salt Palace? Their incessant cries of, "WHITE ELEPHANT" are well documented. Even to this day on the recent Salt Palace expansion, there were those who argued against it, and against the Delta Center, and THE OLYMPIC'S, and on and on.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 11:02 PM

So was there any news from the legislature today? I thought we were supposed to know something by noon.

Also, just an FYI for you soccer fans, the US plays Mexico tonight from the University of Phoenix Stadium (Cardinals Stadium). It's apparently televised on ESPN2 and is sold out.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 11:41 PM

The vote was pushed to tomorrow. The house didn't want to give the impression of bum rushing it through.

So we are all on edge for another day still.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 2:31 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
The vote was pushed to tomorrow. The house didn't want to give the impression of bum rushing it through.

So we are all on edge for another day still.

No matter what this is being rush. We need to get this all done by friday if there's any hope of keeping RSL here in Salt Lake.
Tomorrow I think will be DO or DIE for RSL.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 3:51 AM

Die!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 4:06 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Live
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 6:33 PM
100 days to economic ruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post

No matter what this is being rush. We need to get this all done by friday if there's any hope of keeping RSL here in Salt Lake.
DO!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post

DO!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 6:41 PM

Well, we will know before 5:00pm today. 5:00pm is the end of session at the capitol building. I wish they would just get on with it and approve this thing.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 7:19 PM

Interesting that the percentage who oppose funding the stadium is almost the same as the percentage who are not fans of soccer.

The "oppose" vote wouldn't be as large if this were for a basketball arena or football stadium. People who aren't soccer fans are those opposed to the stadium.

You'd think someone would pull their head out and do some decent PR work letting the public know that their money is going to pay for a garage which is going to be built whether RSL builds a stadium and the land. SLC bought the land for the "Delta Center" and continues to pay for. The risk is not there because the parking garage is going to built anyway and the state has the land as collateral which will go up in value. If RSL defaults, the state can sell the land with or without the stadium.

Bad public relations doesn't mean this project isn't good for Utah.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 7:30 PM

I am taken back by they way everyone on this board does not like Checketts. Personally, the guy is brilliant. Leverage money to purchase a professional sports team, get public money involved to increase the value of the team, sell the team, use the publicity and money to launch your political career. Oh wait, maybe I am thinking of George W. Bush. Nevermind.

Checketts for President 2012!!!!!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastidaho View Post
I am taken back by they way everyone on this board does not like Checketts. Personally, the guy is brilliant. Leverage money to purchase a professional sports team, get public money involved to increase the value of the team, sell the team, use the publicity and money to launch your political career. Oh wait, maybe I am thinking of George W. Bush. Nevermind.

Checketts for President 2012!!!!!

Checketts is revered for what he did with the Jazz. He was viewed as a "wunderkid". He then went onto the Knicks and messed them up big time. They still are working their way out of the mess he and Layden created.

Yes, he is a smart and well-connected person, but he and RSL have handled this very poorly. He started out well, but hasn't done enough to let people know what he is asking the government and citizens to pay for.

I support the stadium although it is a big risk, but he has played Utah against St. Louis. It feels like a form of blackmail. Either you pay up or I'll move my team. He and owners like him have created a black eye for sport-team owners. They come in and demand the government pay them millions to locate or keep a team. I'm okay with some government support. After all we support zoo's, the arts, parks and recreation projects, but there is a limit to that support.

Their is only so much a community can do for arts and recreation (yes I think of this project as being part of the recreation). If he would have demanded more money, I would have felt it was okay to tell him to "not let the door hit him on the way out." Some on this thread have felt what he was asking for was too much and wanted him out at the beginning. (You know who you are.)

He has done a great job building a team and organization. Checketts has lost PR points and needs to work his ass off to rebuild the reputation and respect he had when he came to town.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 8:03 PM

I'm sure Checketts has his odd quirks just as Larry Miller has. Name a team owner who is warm and fuzzy all the time. We've been fortunate that a cooler head, such as Gov.Huntsman is a big fan of the game and also saw its potential impact for good on the area.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 9:40 PM

Man this whole buisness has gotten messy, all around. From the cities duking it out, to checketts, to the county, and now the state legislature, just a huge mess. I can't say I'm a soccer fan now, but hey it's a professional sport and I wouldn't mind attending a few games a season, may even end up really getting into it once it really gets going.
I'm really torn on this issue because part of me says, hey this is a professional sport, not to mention the biggest sport in the world, that wants to make Utah its home, we would have to be stupid to pass this up. And when was the last time a big league sports franchise failed and HAD to leave a market? (Oh yeah, the Utah Starzz rings a bell). But honetly I doubt that would happen, because I think soccer really is gaining momentum in the US. Checketts buisness model definitely seemed overly ambitious to me, but I don't know anything about that sort of thing so who am I to say he's wrong.
I just hope it gets worked out for the best for everyone involved, including the taxpayers.
P.S. public opinion doesn't neccessarily dictate what's best for the state. Anyone remember how anti-trax the public was and legistlaters pushed it through anyway. Now I think almost everyone now agrees it was for the best with ridership being 4X what was predicted.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 9:57 PM

ok.. never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever compare the MLS to the WNBA again... Big leagues sports franchise? the WNBA? lol..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West