HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR View Post
Design change looks like shit. Nice render though.

I just got a new PC, but I'm not even going to bother installing 3DS Max just to recreate this atrocious outcome.
It's sad just how much has changed,just in the time you've been gone.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 11:32 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
I have to say that it doesn't look terrible from that render, though it's a far cry from what should be. Once the ring fills out with equipment it will look more visually tolerable.
it looks pretty terrible, no better than Conde Nast's horrible antenna.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 11:32 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

The base is now square? That's unfortunate, especially because the chamfered corners are actually part of the structure..

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 11:35 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
it looks pretty terrible
Well yes, it certainly is. However, at this point it's better to make an attempt at embracing the new reality rather than lamenting over something that cannot be changed other than by the powers that be.

I think there's a glimmer of hope, though I'd say be prepared to embrace what's being shown as what will be.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 11:38 PM

I still refused to believe that durst who only has a 100 million out of 3.7 billion dollars invested on 1 wtc has the last and finale say on the matter.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 11:39 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
The base is now square? That's unfortunate
To me, that along with the elimination of the restaurant and the reconfiguration of the plaza are more disappointing than the exposed antenna.

Is what it is . . .

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 11:39 PM

This tower tapers, and because of this, it needs a substantial spire at the top to give it architectural balance, and just make it look better. The skinny antenna on the old Twin Tower worked because those towers were boxy all the way up, and a fat spire wouldn't have looked right..1WTC is slimmer, and so a skinny antenna just looks stupid. It needs the thicker spire to streamline it and complete it visually. But I guess Durst is either blind or retarded.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 11:51 PM

I'm sure I'm being stupid here thinking that the voice of the people can make a difference, and I'm sure I'll get some flak for this, but after being away from SSP for a while I came back to this development and was horrified. So much so, that I took it upon myself to contact The Durst Organization. I encourage each and every one of you to do the same. Yes, I know the decision has already been arrived at, and yes, I know big greedy corporations don't care about a lowly citizen like myself, but at least they can build this new hideous antenna with the knowledge that those with an ounce of taste think it's a terrible shadow of what could have been.

This is what I wrote to them. Hopefully it makes it past whoever checks their emails.

"To Mr. Douglas Durst and Co.,

I have followed with enthusiasm the design, construction, and at long last the near-completion of the new One World Trade Center. I am an avid reader and participant in various architecture and cultural websites and forums, and design in general is both a professional study and a hobby of mine.

I speak strongly for both myself and an overwhelming majority of those who have followed with extraordinary patience the slow construction of this new One World Trade Center tower when I say that the recent decision made by your organization, and for unknown reasons agreed with by the Port Authority, constitutes a delusion of the architectural beauty and iconic status of this new tower.

The renders of the replacement antenna, lacking any architectural elements or appointments that could ever lend it the name "spire", is, to be frank, a ghastly relic that would look more appropriate on a decommissioned Soviet-era monstrosity rather than a symbol of America's revival following the attacks of September 11, 2001.

Let me reiterate; I know from both having seen countless agreements, as well as the general attitude of America, that if you remove this spire, you will have turned what could have been America's great new architectural achievement of the 21st century into just another office building. Please, please reconsider the removal of the spire not only for the integrity and reputation of your own organization, but for the city of New York and the people of America."

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 12:24 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehrgeiz91 View Post
I'm sure I'm being stupid here thinking that the voice of the people can make a difference, and I'm sure I'll get some flak for this, but after being away from SSP for a while I came back to this development and was horrified. So much so, that I took it upon myself to contact The Durst Organization. I encourage each and every one of you to do the same. Yes, I know the decision has already been arrived at, and yes, I know big greedy corporations don't care about a lowly citizen like myself, but at least they can build this new hideous antenna with the knowledge that those with an ounce of taste think it's a terrible shadow of what could have been.

This is what I wrote to them. Hopefully it makes it past whoever checks their emails.

"To Mr. Douglas Durst and Co.,

I have followed with enthusiasm the design, construction, and at long last the near-completion of the new One World Trade Center. I am an avid reader and participant in various architecture and cultural websites and forums, and design in general is both a professional study and a hobby of mine.

I speak strongly for both myself and an overwhelming majority of those who have followed with extraordinary patience the slow construction of this new One World Trade Center tower when I say that the recent decision made by your organization, and for unknown reasons agreed with by the Port Authority, constitutes a delusion of the architectural beauty and iconic status of this new tower.

The renders of the replacement antenna, lacking any architectural elements or appointments that could ever lend it the name "spire", is, to be frank, a ghastly relic that would look more appropriate on a decommissioned Soviet-era monstrosity rather than a symbol of America's revival following the attacks of September 11, 2001.

Let me reiterate; I know from both having seen countless agreements, as well as the general attitude of America, that if you remove this spire, you will have turned what could have been America's great new architectural achievement of the 21st century into just another office building. Please, please reconsider the removal of the spire not only for the integrity and reputation of your own organization, but for the city of New York and the people of America."
Great letter. Hopefully they will get the memo.

Last edited by jd3189; May 11, 2012 at 12:35 AM.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 12:56 AM

The new spire/antenna reminds me of Ostankino Tower in Moscow, a true atrocity.

Image Credit: Leonid Faerberg

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 12:58 AM
Eagle Scout since 9/28/09

That's actually the first image I thought of after seeing the new antenna render.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 1:06 AM

Yuck, and that's corporate cronyism for you! To hell with design..If they go forward with this hideous antenna, they might has well just build one of those ugly ass Stalinist Towers from from the 1950s from Russia. In what universe do they think a rust-colored, naked antenna works with a gleaming, glass-colored skyscraper? If this monstrosity is the only game in town now as far as antenna, then leave it off! The tower would look better without any antenna than with this.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 1:06 AM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ditnow View Post
Actually the whole building, regardless of what sort of toothpick they stick on top of it, is an exemplar of the unchecked greed of Wall Street that drove the country to ruin in 2008. Soulless and charmless, without a leavening speck of creativity or humanity, it will be speak, sadly, to our era, even as the Empire State building, the Chrysler Building and the Woolworth building spoke (boisterously and joyously and optimistically) to their eras, eras when America's best days lay ahead and not in the rear-view mirror.
While I'm not crazy about the new look, I must ask: you DO know that those earlier buildings were built in the era of supposedly rampant capitalism, while the FT is the result of Big Government, a/k/a the NY/NJ Port Authority, right?

As for the new look: maybe it could be salvaged with the use of more prominent cables, like JMGarcia once suggested? To give it a more sculptural look?

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 1:07 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbana View Post
The new spire/antenna reminds me of Ostankino Tower in Moscow, a true atrocity.

Image Credit: Leonid Faerberg
And to think that was the bastard that beat the ESB for world's tallest structure. So we're going to copy off Soviet Russia's bootleg architectural style for the spire? Saddening.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 1:15 AM

So is there any hope that they could keep the original design or design a new casing for it since they don't actually start the spire till july? I really can't imagine they are just going to leave it like that even though Durst said theres no way to do anything.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
While I'm not crazy about the new look, I must ask: you DO know that those earlier buildings were built in the era of supposedly rampant capitalism, while the FT is the result of Big Government, a/k/a the NY/NJ Port Authority, right?

As for the new look: maybe it could be salvaged with the use of more prominent cables, like JGarcia once suggested? To give it a more sculptural look?
The first sentence here is a *most* interesting observation that to my surprise has escaped the notice of a lot of contributors to this thread. As to your second thought, Durst will prolly shrug that off as an extravagance/"bitch to maintain" excuse as well.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 1:18 AM

Maybe we are just overreacting, and we just have to wait and see.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 1:20 AM
DENNAB

from CBS news...

Quote:
Chief Architect David Childs told the New York Times he was disappointed in the co-developers' decision to remove the radome.

"Eliminating this integral part of the building's design and leaving an exposed antenna and equipment is unfortunate. We stand ready to work with the port on an alternate design that will still mark the 1 World Trade Center's place in New York City's skyline," Childs said.
What ashame, Childs hardly seems pissed off, but hopefully he can work to make it better.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 1:25 AM

^^^
What were you expecting him to do, come after Durst with a knife? As far as public figures go, that is pretty angry. Of course, an architect, especially if he wishes to earn more commisions, must face the economic realities that developers face.

I don't believe this has been posted yet. CTBUH has basically put out a statement with regards to official height: "F**k if we know!"

Quote:
At this point, since the building is far from completion, there is no final determination on the height of One World Trade Center. A final determination will be made by the CTBUH Technical Height Committee based on analysis of the drawings and other information submitted by the building owner, development and consultant team. Building designs often change during construction and final ratification of the height and formal recognition on the list of 100 Tallest Completed Building in the World occur after the building is officially completed and application details submitted.
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjb001 View Post

That's actually the first image I thought of after seeing the new antenna render.
Heh, you know that's funny, I did too.

I think I speak for all of us when I say, "fuck Durst." That name will be a dirty word with me from now on.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive