HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 1:48 PM
What could go wrong?

One thing I have never understood...and still don't - what is the point of the Hwy 2 spur from Hwy 3 east to the Perimeter??? I see that it is access for the 4 or 5 homes there but it has ZERO business connecting to the Perimeter at all. It makes absolutely no sense. With a signalized intersection approximately 1 km away I don't get it.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 2:11 PM

I commented on the round-about recently and how it seems silly. Just close access to 101 for 2.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
One thing I have never understood...and still don't - what is the point of the Hwy 2 spur from Hwy 3 east to the Perimeter??? I see that it is access for the 4 or 5 homes there but it has ZERO business connecting to the Perimeter at all. It makes absolutely no sense. With a signalized intersection approximately 1 km away I don't get it.
It effectively functions as a piece of art symbolizing the overarching devotion to the status quo and fierce resistance to even the slightest bit of change.

A completely redundant little stub of a highway which just complicates things and creates dangerous situations? Well damn it all it has to stay, because goes by Farmer Jim's chicken ranch and he's had access to the Perimeter since 1962.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 3:24 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It effectively functions as a piece of art symbolizing the overarching devotion to the status quo and fierce resistance to even the slightest bit of change.
I need to email my high school English teacher for a translation of this wordsmithery you just graced us with.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 3:30 PM

^ The blathering comes naturally since I get paid by the word

(not really... I wish)

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I commented on the round-about recently and how it seems silly. Just close access to 101 for 2.
Truck traffic between Morden-Winkler (the micropolitan area forming Manitoba's third largest urban area with about 22,000 people, roughly doubling in the past 25 years), Carman and other points to the southwest need access to Hwy 100 to by-pass Winnipeg and/or to access points in the south of the city without having to pass through Oak Bluff.

Perhaps a better solution is to close access at the McGillivray/3 and 100 intersection by putting McGillivray under the Perimeter and building a full interchange at 2/100 where there is plenty of undeveloped land. Access to McGillivray from the Perimeter and vice versa would be via Wyper Road, which obviously would have to be upgraded from its current status as a gravel road. Access to Oak Bluff from the Perimeter would be via 2 to the roundabout and then a short jog on 3. Access to points west on 2 and 3 from the Perimeter would be via 2 to the roundabout and then west. Inbound and outbound traffic from Winnipeg (via McGillivray) to points west on 2 or 3 would be unaffected with the exception that the traffic lights at McGillivray-3/100 would be eliminated.

This would eliminate the deadly intersection, and no that is not hyperbole, at 3/100 and remove almost all truck traffic from Oak Bluff.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 4:29 PM

Ya exactly. The point is there should not be two access points within such a short distance which both serve the same purpose.

I'm not sure if I've seen any plans on where the interchange is going. But it should be in the area between 2 and 3, essentially going behind the Petro station and just north of hwy 2. Then close every other access point and direct traffic there. straighten old Hwy 2 and connect it to the 101 access road.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Ya exactly. The point is there should not be two access points within such a short distance which both serve the same purpose.

I'm not sure if I've seen any plans on where the interchange is going. But it should be in the area between 2 and 3, essentially going behind the Petro station and just north of hwy 2. Then close every other access point and direct traffic there. straighten old Hwy 2 and connect it to the 101 access road.
I wonder if they're keeping both access points until a decision is made for an interchange location? not that this reason makes too much sense but maybe the intersection at 3/100 is inadequate to the point that traffic volume from a closed-off 2/100 would make 3/100 more dangerous? Also the merge lane going from city-bound highway 3 to East/South bound 100 is non-existent whereas eastbound 2 to hwy 100 has some resemblance of a merge lane

Maybe 2/100 will get closed once the 'Phase 3 upgrade' to 3/100 mentioned in the presentation by MIT will be complete

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 5:31 PM
What could go wrong?

I spoke to my guy and he said they are keeping both points to relieve traffic through the McGillivray intersection until the grade separation is built. They will not close the median cut for #2 because the intersection and light at #3 acts as a calming measure for S-E bound traffic on the Perimeter and allows safer left turns for westbound traffic to #2 from the Perimeter.

Last edited by Biff; May 31, 2018 at 8:24 PM.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 5:33 PM

OMG. They're using the traffic lights as a calming measure??? People die at those traffic lights.................

I'm not having the best day today. But that really got me going.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 6:27 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^ Yes, they are dieing at the McGillivray traffic lights...that is calming for the #2 intersection 1km south east.

Last edited by Biff; May 31, 2018 at 8:23 PM.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 6:47 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

It's 2018, and the power that be still thinks it can get away having lights on what should be a free-flowing highway...

Or better question, why is the government catering to these small communities instead of the majority...

Last edited by Dengler Avenue; May 31, 2018 at 7:07 PM.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWG-RO View Post
1. Yes, but it is about 3 km from McPhillips. Fair point that this is a significant distance. RIRO gives some access. Do the 150 locals really need to cross 101?

2. It’s about 3 km from 15. Better having RIRO than a signal IMO.

3. Tracks and 15 / 101 is compkex.

4. 6 / 101 is a major interchange. For me, 101 seems reasonably spaced.

I guess I see it this way: the perfect is the enemy of the good. Our population density doesn’t justify controlled interchanges every 2 km. Let’s create a free flowing safe highway that is realistic within the next 10 years.

Not trying to gloss over anything. Just a realist.
The volume on HWY 15 has long justified twinning the road. It cannot be done in place due to how built up the road is and the close proximity to the main line CN tracks.

Along those same lines the plan to connect up CPT to the north Perimeter needs an interchange.

The solution seems to be to twin HWY 15 as a new route to the north of the existing location. Very similar to how Inkster between Route 90 and the Perimeter was twinned as Centreport Canada Way.

The challenge there is still:

1. Where does CPT connect to the Perimeter?
2. Where will the twinned HWY 15 be relocated to?

Until those questions can be answered Gunn Rd is left there. It also won't go anywhere under a Tory government as that is a major access point for Springfield's industrial area. Springfield is loyal beyond loyal to the Tory party.

--

All that said once the HWY 15 relocation is formally on the books access from the existing HWY 15 to the Perimeter could go away. The Perimeter becomes a flyover at that point. If access for EB to NB is still needed for some reason you could pull the traffic under the Perimeter then run counter flow on the east side as an access road style before a U-turn for a merge lane.

--

In terms of Pipeline, rather than trying to force a closure which will get blow back admit defeat of eliminating that access and turn it into a diamond ASAP. The growth rate of residential in the northwest and inching close to the Perimeter and is starting to be a risk of popping a new intersection between Pipeline and HWY 7/Route 90. If the Perimeter is free flowing from Lag to Route 90 you can demand the develop then pays for a diamond for the future access point. Also need to keep in mind the overall goal is for the Perimeter to be free flowing, not to complete avoid future access points. Rather future access points need to be in more a planned manner and properly funded by developers.

--

HWY 6 is a big of an odd duck. The main route actually takes a turn to make the current intersection. This is again about the future alignment. The CentrePort development plans call for HWY 6 to eventually meet CCW. The question is what will that route be? Figuring that out would help determine if there is a realignment of HWY 6 needed and where it would match up with the Perimeter.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
^^^ Yes, they are dieing at the McGillavry traffic lights...that is calming for the #3 intersection 1km south east.
You are getting Hwys 2 and 3 mixed up. Hwy 3 becomes McGillivray east of 100 and Highway 2 ends at the Perimeter about 1 km to the southeast.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 7:52 PM

^ya but the concept is still there. They're using the lights at McGillivray to stop/slow traffic so people can left turn onto hwy 3 at the median opening. That is complete garbage. Close the median opening! Put the traffic tot he lights at McGillivray. Hwy 3 already goes there so what the problem.

Doesn't eliminate the fact there are lights at McGillivray. But damn, that's disappointing.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 8:09 PM

Quote:
^ya but the concept is still there. They're using the lights at McGillivray to stop/slow traffic so people can left turn onto hwy 3 at the median opening. That is complete garbage. Close the median opening! Put the traffic tot he lights at McGillivray. Hwy 3 already goes there so what the problem.

Doesn't eliminate the fact there are lights at McGillivray. But damn, that's disappointing.
Do you mean turn left onto Hwy 2? You cannot close the median opening at Hwy 3 while it is a signaled intersection. Turns onto Hwy 2 are necessary for trucks to by-pass Oak Bluff. There are no fewer than ten access points onto Hwy 3 in the short stretch from the 2 Junction to the Perimeter and Oak Bluff is growing rapidly, nearly doubling in population from 2011 to 2016. At current growth rates it will have over 2,000 people by 2021.

My proposal is to route McGillivray/3 under the Perimeter with no access whatsoever between the two roadways at that intersection and have a full interchange in the vicinity of 100/2/Wyber Road where there is plenty of land and some distance from Oak Bluff.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 8:25 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
You are getting Hwys 2 and 3 mixed up. Hwy 3 becomes McGillivray east of 100 and Highway 2 ends at the Perimeter about 1 km to the southeast.
Thank you, I went back and corrected my posts so they read correctly. That and I didn't want my attempt at humour to be lost because of poor attention to detail.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 9:16 PM

yes.. Hwy 2.

my proposal would be just re-direct McGillivray behind Petro and build the interchange. Decommission all other intersections and figure out local access from there.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 5:07 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

A completely redundant little stub of a highway which just complicates things and creates dangerous situations? Well damn it all it has to stay, because goes by Farmer Jim's chicken ranch and he's had access to the Perimeter since 1962.
ITS actually heavily used. I understand you dont venture past google maps. But Hwy 2 and 3 by pass the clusterfuck that is Oakbluff lights if going east on the perimeter by using it. ITs verybwell layer out and has a perfect merge lane that you can get up to speed. The issues is westbound traffic crossing. Those farmers have nothing to do with it at all.

If all the traffic went to the Oakbluff lights. It would be backed up to the so called future round about. Some of you have zero realization of how well used 2 and 3 just are.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
ITS actually heavily used. I understand you dont venture past google maps. But Hwy 2 and 3 by pass the clusterfuck that is Oakbluff lights if going east on the perimeter by using it. ITs verybwell layer out and has a perfect merge lane that you can get up to speed. The issues is westbound traffic crossing. Those farmers have nothing to do with it at all.

If all the traffic went to the Oakbluff lights. It would be backed up to the so called future round about. Some of you have zero realization of how well used 2 and 3 just are.
True, all traffic from south central and south west Manitoba that is heading to Winnipeg use Highways 2 and 3.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan