HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Suburbs and the State of Oregon

Old Posted Nov 29, 2014, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colganc View Post
Given the numbers of people involved, wouldn't a bus serve just as well, but for much cheaper? At max capacity the ballpark(s) hold around 4k people.

The total commute time for someone in Amber Glen would be terrible with MAX. 15 to 20 minute walk and then 15 minute ride (including wait time for MAX) to the area near the ballpark.

Potentially a couple of bus lines could create a 5 minute walk, 10 minute wait, 10 minute travel time scenario for someone living in Amber Glen or other nearby high density population center.
Certainly. For people living at 206th and Amberwood Drive. A bus would be adequate for them if they used it.

But for thousands of other people traveling to and from Tanesbourne, Nike, Intel and other places, it could be invaluable.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2014, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
Certainly. For people living at 206th and Amberwood Drive. A bus would be adequate for them if they used it.

But for thousands of other people traveling to and from Tanesbourne, Nike, Intel and other places, it could be invaluable.
To show my thinking for someone who doesn't live close:
Walk, MAX, MAX (switching to spur), walk is the suggestion? 4 changes. Longest time wise. Difficult to adapt to future needs. Future needs must be planned around or with it.

Walk, drive, walk. 3 changes. Shortest time. Least change to existing infrastructure. Very adaptive if needs change, little extra planning needed.

Walk, bus, MAX, bus, walk. 5 changes. More time than driving, less than double MAX. Minimal extra planning needed and pretty adaptable.

A double MAX scenario is not optimal. MAX for longer travel and then bus for local is an ok fit.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2014, 2:30 AM

Quote:
To show my thinking for someone who doesn't live close:
Walk, MAX, MAX (switching to spur), walk is the suggestion? 4 changes. Longest time wise. Difficult to adapt to future needs. Future needs must be planned around or with it.

Walk, drive, walk. 3 changes. Shortest time. Least change to existing infrastructure. Very adaptive if needs change, little extra planning needed.

Walk, bus, MAX, bus, walk. 5 changes. More time than driving, less than double MAX. Minimal extra planning needed and pretty adaptable.

A double MAX scenario is not optimal. MAX for longer travel and then bus for local is an ok fit.
I'm not exactly sure what you're getting at. Switching to spur? Where are you getting your times? You're suggesting a MAX that would travel from 185th and Baseline out to Intel? If a MAX were built out to Intel, I can't imagine the line starting from anywhere but downtown (or further as in the Red line). This is the reason why I think a streetcar is the wrong fit.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2014, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
I'm not exactly sure what you're getting at. Switching to spur? Where are you getting your times? You're suggesting a MAX that would travel from 185th and Baseline out to Intel? If a MAX were built out to Intel, I can't imagine the line starting from anywhere but downtown (or further as in the Red line). This is the reason why I think a streetcar is the wrong fit.
The blue line already runs parallel and is pretty close? Intel has a number of locations with 1000+ employees and two miles apart.

If the red line went out further and then split to go to Intel, that would be a spur. I'm not sure where or why another line from downtown would make sense if it was to end up serving Intel or Nike. The blue and red already line up fairly close, but not close enough. Anything that went north of 26 would require a couple mile turn to the south to hit Intel. That would be unlikely to terminate right at the Gordon Faber sports complex.

Why spend all of that money and time when buses can be run now to check for viability.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 11:01 PM

Not exactly notable building construction but in case you are having problems getting your quota on deadly sins.

Per recent land use applications in Hillsboro it looks like they are getting a Chik-Fil-A in Tanasbourne (gluttony)

as well as a new 3-story covered driving range (I'm going with sloth since it's removing the majority of the exercise component of golf by eliminating the walking) in the near future (Near brookwood/Hwy 26).

Link for the public notice on the driving range:
http://www.hillsboro-oregon.gov/modu...ocumentid=5759

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Washington County approves Nike's giant expansion project

Washington County's Land Use & Transportation department has approved a giant Nike expansion project.

The company wants to build 1.3 million square feet of new space on its campus, including two buildings and two parking garages.

Washington County approved those plans Tuesday with some conditions.
The conditions appear nominal and include obtaining necessary permits, including a final occupancy permit. Nike also must encourage employees to carpool and use public transit.
...continues at the Portland Business Journal.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 8:57 PM

A few things in Washington County

Laika is doing an expansion to their existing building. Nothing exciting other than it confirms their commitment to stay in Hillsboro they had considered moving downtown. The existing building is as dull as it can get from the outside which is funny considering what they do on the inside.

http://www.hillsboro-oregon.gov/inde...=1258&page=712

Quote:
Development Review approval for expansion of the existing Laika Entertainment studio facility. The expansion will include an additional 104,541 square feet on two levels, and will be utilized as studio and production space. Approximately 408 parking spaces will be constructed, and 88,754 square feet of landscaping will be installed.
Also a new Holiday Inn and Candlewood estates for the same area (near Cornell and Cornelius Pass)

http://www.hillsboro-oregon.gov/inde...=1231&page=712

Quote:
Request for development review approval for two executive suites hotels with a restaurant and other amenities such as fitness facilities, pool and spa areas, conference space and outdoor patio space. The two hotels would provide a total of 192 rooms, and would share amenities, parking and vehicle access. The project is proposed to be developed in two phases. Phase I would include the construction of a 110-room Holiday Inn Hotel on the north side of the subject site. Phase II would include the construction of the 82-room Candlewood Suites Hotel on the south side of the subject site.
Lastly, some initial site work has started on the Nike major expansion and Hoffman has started ramping up getting bids for work so things should be starting up relatively soon on the new Nike landscraper (since it's roughly the big pink building on its side)

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 11:23 PM

A photo from earlier today of the Orenco Station 'Hub 9' Building at the Orenco Light rail station. It looks like people are already moving in under temporary occupancy. I've heard the retail on the bottom floor is mostly leased out as well so it should be a nice boost to the area. The area around Orenco station should have a lot more people and energy when the current buildings under construction are finished.

Also, McMenamin's is proposing to change the Imbrie House at the Cornelius Pass Roadhouse into a bed and breakfast and is proposing to build a 47 unit hotel behind the Roadhouse (in the open grassy treed area immediately to the west)

http://www.hillsboro-oregon.gov/inde...=1269&page=712

Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 6:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunya View Post
Also a new Holiday Inn and Candlewood estates for the same area (near Cornell and Cornelius Pass)

http://www.hillsboro-oregon.gov/inde...=1231&page=712
The hotel(s) rolled off of the Hillsboro site, but here is a small picture of what it may look like: http://braxton-development.com/prope...lewood-suites/

I'm curious to see how all of these hotels turn out. With the two just completed off of Evergreen, the one over on Brookwood, and now these two proposed. By late 2016, that should be an additional 600+ rooms in under two years for Hillsboro?

Edit/Addition:
I'm also curious to find out what happened to "AmberGlen on the Park": http://www.hillsboro-oregon.gov/modu...ocumentid=2912

The Hillsboro February 2014 administrative review notes say it was withdrawn by the applicant. I haven't seen anything since. At the time I kind of expected they were going to change the design and re-submit, but nothing. Anyone know?

Last edited by colganc; Mar 23, 2015 at 7:19 AM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 6:20 AM

I live in Central Beaverton and love the neighborhood -- but it has lagged somewhat behind Hillsboro and Gresham in regards to development of denser projects in the old downtown core. There are now two significant projects under construction at the east end of downtown. This is the Barcelona, which will have 47 units of workforce housing at completion. A 5 story market rate project is proposed to be built behind it.

http://www.cpahinc.org/barcelona.html

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceKeeg View Post
I live in Central Beaverton and love the neighborhood -- but it has lagged somewhat behind Hillsboro and Gresham in regards to development of denser projects in the old downtown core. There are now two significant projects under construction at the east end of downtown. This is the Barcelona, which will have 47 units of workforce housing at completion. A 5 story market rate project is proposed to be built behind it.

http://www.cpahinc.org/barcelona.html
Cool, thanks for posting those. Do you have any photos of the new through street over by the round? I am always driving through and not able to stop, walk, and look.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 7:50 AM

Sadly, I don't, colganc - I'm always walking around that area with my dog, so maybe I can snap some photos soon. Glad they are adding some connectivity in the area.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceKeeg View Post
Sadly, I don't, colganc - I'm always walking around that area with my dog, so maybe I can snap some photos soon. Glad they are adding some connectivity in the area.
I also wouldn't say it has lagged Hillsboro really. I wish I had the food options in that area. Small blocks and very personable. With the next series of buildings going up it should really feel alive. Less than five years for sure.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 3:05 AM

Quote:
I also wouldn't say it has lagged Hillsboro really. I wish I had the food options in that area. Small blocks and very personable. With the next series of buildings going up it should really feel alive. Less than five years for sure.
I hopped off the 26 last weekend at 185th, drove through Tanasbourne and then through Orenco and holy crapola has Hillsboro blown the F up. The Kaiser Hospital, the new hotels, even the huge new Intel buildings are much more noticeable than I expected. I haven't seen anything in Beaverton rival the new Orenco Platform District, wowsa that's dense for a suburb!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 5:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
I hopped off the 26 last weekend at 185th, drove through Tanasbourne and then through Orenco and holy crapola has Hillsboro blown the F up. The Kaiser Hospital, the new hotels, even the huge new Intel buildings are much more noticeable than I expected. I haven't seen anything in Beaverton rival the new Orenco Platform District, wowsa that's dense for a suburb!
Did you happen to eat there? I'm curious what people think of the food options. Living in the area makes it hard for me to objectively see.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 7:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
I was out there recently and was impressed by all the developments around Orenco. The Hub is pretty dense and there's a lot more going up around it.

It's no Skytrain TOD but for this country it's pretty decent.

What I don't understand is why the round in Beaverton hasn't been built up more. Granted I don't know the history of the site and so on but it's way closer to Portland so I think it would be more attractive to commuters but there seems to be nothing going on there.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityscapes View Post
I was out there recently and was impressed by all the developments around Orenco. The Hub is pretty dense and there's a lot more going up around it.

It's no Skytrain TOD but for this country it's pretty decent.

What I don't understand is why the round in Beaverton hasn't been built up more. Granted I don't know the history of the site and so on but it's way closer to Portland so I think it would be more attractive to commuters but there seems to be nothing going on there.
It took subsidies to get the densities like they are in Orenco. I bet The Round has similar zoning requirements but no subsidies. The last Orenco stuff is like 70 or 80 DU per acre. The mpst recent Amberglen stuff is like 50 DU per acre. Thats the difference between lower floor and multi-level garages and the reduced street level parking at Amberglen.

The extra garage stuff costs alot more. So if the garages are required based on the zoning, the market out here, most places and most of the time, cannot support the Orenco zoning or Round zoning...yet. It doesn't look like it will be much longer until the market will support it. I'm hoping that if/when Orenco works, developers will try a couple of non-subsidized buildings.

Don't shoot me on the DUA numbers, I'm going by memory.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Did you happen to eat there? I'm curious what people think of the food options. Living in the area makes it hard for me to objectively see.
I did not. The area (Streets at Tanasbourne) seemed a little chain centric.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 3:08 AM

I'm surprised we haven't seen a push for a dual downtown core like Bellevue in Seattle metro...

I think some density at downtown levels along 205 would make a lot of sense given the way the freeway has killed those neighborhoods. The housing stock is also not even close to historical. I wish for a push to make a second downtown. Since beaverton seems set in suburban density mode, maybe 205/gateway can take the burden.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 4:06 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXDENSITY View Post
I'm surprised we haven't seen a push for a dual downtown core like Bellevue in Seattle metro...

I think some density at downtown levels along 205 would make a lot of sense given the way the freeway has killed those neighborhoods. The housing stock is also not even close to historical. I wish for a push to make a second downtown. Since beaverton seems set in suburban density mode, maybe 205/gateway can take the burden.
In theory, Gateway is suppose to be the second downtown. I don't know if we will get a Lloyd District downtown or something else.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Suburbs and the State of Oregon