HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northend Guy View Post
Just a reminder of this - the public hearing is tonight! We will know whether this development will proceed soon!
If I wasn't running on two hours of sleep and feeling mentally burnt-out from our design pinup I'd be really interested in going to this...

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 10:19 PM

Because of the need for MPS amendments (which have to be approved by the Province) the DA won't be considered tonight. So it will only be the MPS amendments and the PCC will have to consider the DA after the Province approves them - that's what the presentation clarified.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
Because of the need for MPS amendments (which have to be approved by the Province) the DA won't be considered tonight. So it will only be the MPS amendments and the PCC will have to consider the DA after the Province approves them - that's what the presentation clarified.
Yah that's what I was about to post.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Yah that's what I was about to post.
I should have known when I saw MPS amendments - you can't do a DA without the policy to support it. It's the same out here - we can't rezone land, if the policy doesn't support it (or a future land use map doesn't show the right designation).

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 10:56 PM

God Bev Miller is dramatic.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 11:02 PM

"I could talk for 5 hours not just 5 minutes on this project" - Bev Miller

Yes I'm sure she could. She could talk for hours about a missing stop sign on a gravel road in Ecum Secum.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 11:03 PM

Quote:
"I could talk for 5 hours not just 5 minutes on this project" - Bev Miller

Yes I'm sure she could. She could talk for hours about a missing stop sign on a gravel road in Ecum Secum.
Jono is up now.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Jono is up now.
Good job Jono. You made all of us forumers proud.

I envy your college degree by the way ...

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Good job Jono. You made all of us forumers proud.

I envy your college degree by the way ...
I agree and glad his comments were repeated by a councillor. Well done.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 11:53 PM

And with that - approved. Now to wait on the Province and then the DA.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 12:08 AM

Quote:
And with that - approved. Now to wait on the Province and then the DA.
Assuming the Province doesn't do anything out of the blue we should have the fnal answer for this proposal on March 14th, 2011 at Peninsula Community Council.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 1:46 AM

Awesome I hope this all goes through fine.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
Awesome I hope this all goes through fine.
It's extremely rare that the NS government has found issue with policies approved by Council's. I know of only one circumstance and as I recall it was the Town of Truro. All the government did was fire it back to the Council (because there was concern over the public hearing) and gave them directions to hold the hearing again with specific instructions. They did it over, made sure everyone who had been there was there - approved it and it was fine.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 5:10 PM

Thanks guys. I was pleasantly surprised at how easily things went. That was one of the shortest and easiest public hearings I've ever attended for a downtown development. It was so great to hear councils resounding support for this amazing development.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 5:14 PM

Council OKs changes for Fenwick Tower project

By MICHAEL LIGHTSTONE

City Hall Reporter

Council authorized changes to municipal planning and land-use rules Tuesday so the proposed redevelopment of Fenwick Tower can go ahead.

Halifax regional councillors approved the site-specific amend­ments after a public hearing at city hall that elicited conflicting opinions about the planned pro­ject, which an executive with the developer, Templeton Properties of Halifax, has said could be worth more than $100 million when it’s finished.

The mixed-use redevelopment calls for the existing 33-storey apartment building on Fenwick Street in south-end Halifax to be expanded and re-cladded and structures of 10 and eight storeys added on the site. Townhouse­style dwellings would also be built.

The project is to include com­mercial space as well as apart­ments.

Now the issue goes to Penin­sula community council.

Templeton bought the tower in 2009. Dalhousie University had long operated a student residence there.

Council heard from 12 people in favour of the project, plus the developer, and five opponents.

Supporters said the planned redevelopment would improve the neighbourhood, but foes said they are concerned about traffic, parking, wind effects and “exces­sive density."

Hollis Street resident Caroline Murphy called the proposal “a step forward for the Halifax Regional Municipality," while Bev Miller of South Street said “it’s an outrageous project" and urged the politicians to defer a decision.

Council heard from a Fenwick Street resident, Rebecca Jamie­son, who said the tower has been “a world-class eyesore" that should be demolished. She im­plored councillors to give area neighbours a break on disrup­tions on their street.

She said a sewer replacement project affected local residents for 18 months, and the proposed redevelopment could be six years in the making.

“We demand some relief," Jamieson said.

A municipal staff report says the Templeton project “offers a rare opportunity to provide im­provements at both regional and local scales."

Council voted vocally for the planning and land amendments; not one councillor called out to oppose them.

(mlightstone@herald.ca)

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
Thanks guys. I was pleasantly surprised at how easily things went. That was one of the shortest and easiest public hearings I've ever attended for a downtown development. It was so great to hear councils resounding support for this amazing development.
Let's just make sure we get people out for when the DA goes.
That's the last major hurdle.
Although Bev just annoyed me.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 5:49 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
Council OKs changes for Fenwick Tower project

Council heard from a Fenwick Street resident, Rebecca Jamie­son, who said the tower has been “a world-class eyesore" that should be demolished. She im­plored councillors to give area neighbours a break on disrup­tions on their street.

(mlightstone@herald.ca)
OK, Mrs. Jamieson, I believe that's why they want to redevelop it. So it doesn't look like an eyesore. How would she propose they demolish it without "disruptions on their street" She should have taken the time to realize how that was going to sound before she opened her anti-everything mouth.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 7:02 PM

Anti-Everything people don't take the time to think before they talk.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 9:56 PM

Alright! March 14 is my birthday! That would make a great present! Although I did just move away form Halifax in December.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 2:01 PM

So, I've heard some pretty exciting news of late about the Fenwick project. There had been some talk of Templeton starting with one of the new buildings, and then moving on to tackle the tower addition/overhaul. However, they have changed their tune, and they are now saying that they are going to start with the tower! They are saying that it may be a year before they actually get rolling on the major aspects of the work (can you blame them given the scope?), but they are going to be working to get all their ducks in a row so that they get it right (prepping drawings, acquiring a savvy project coordinator, etc.). This will be awesome to witness - I am really looking forward to seeing this proceed!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth