HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Feb 18, 2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
My comment had nothing to do with the quality of restaurants. Obviously, great European cities offer a greater choice of excellent restaurants. My comment ties the diversity of immigration with the diversity of ethnic dining choices and this has exploded in Ottawa in the last generation. No doubt, Amsterdam has diversified since I was there with increasing EU open border policies but Indonesian was the dominant ethnic cuisine when I was there as I recall.
There's no doubt in my mind that Amsterdam has 1. more immigrants (relative and absolute) 2. more diverse groups of immigrants 3. more restaurants 4. greater variety of restaurants.

There is no dominant ethnic cuisine in Amsterdam, sure you'll find many Asian restaurants (Chinese, Indonesian, Thai, Japanese, Indian, etc), but the variety is enormous. Like I said, second only (in Europe) to London, Paris and perhaps Brussels. If you think Ottawa can compete with this I'd like to see your arguments...

Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 2:56 AM
Busy Beaver

Amazing to see the number of people who go and see the sound and light show on Parliament Hill this year. I've seen it three times already and probably will a few more times as I host a few visitors over the summer. There are easily a few thousand even on a week night. It's like a mini Canada Day every night. Even the souvenir shop and hotdog stands on Metcalfe stay open for it.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHiRO View Post
There's no doubt in my mind that Amsterdam has 1. more immigrants (relative and absolute) 2. more diverse groups of immigrants 3. more restaurants 4. greater variety of restaurants.

There is no dominant ethnic cuisine in Amsterdam, sure you'll find many Asian restaurants (Chinese, Indonesian, Thai, Japanese, Indian, etc), but the variety is enormous. Like I said, second only (in Europe) to London, Paris and perhaps Brussels. If you think Ottawa can compete with this I'd like to see your arguments...
I don't think anyone is saying that at all.What some are saying si ottawa resturant selection is very good and can challenge places like toronto etc.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2010, 5:24 PM
Progressive Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawan View Post
I agree that Ottawa's complacency is a problem that needs to be attacked. I also agree that we could learn many lessons from Vancouver.

That said, one could make any city look bad by drawing an example of something good from one city, and then ignoring the similar examples in another city to specifically find something bad. Usually I am fond of Ken Gray's opinions, but this one was garbage.
The article is no longer up. What was his Ottawa equivalent to the Downtown Eastside?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation