HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 11:55 PM

How are left hand turns handled with a setup like this?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam-machiavelli View Post
How will the lanes intersect with the bus stops? Will passengers wait in the same spot, but need to cross the lanes when getting on and off the bus?
On 107th St, at 100th Ave, the South Bound stop is still there, sharing the same space as the two bike lanes. Neither lines or (of course) curbs separate this space from the one Southbound car lane. There are lines, long enough to include bike and directional markings, North of the bus stop to the crosswalk.

I would assume that no buses turn right onto 107th from 100th Ave, since I don't think there would be space for them to turn, on a green, if a biker and car are both in their Northbound lanes.

Also am interested to see how this lane will integrate into the other bike lanes at intersections. And whether the mid-street crosswalks will stay in place, which as a walker I expect. Though I will need to be a bit better at looking over my shoulder before beginning to cross.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 9:56 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintzilla View Post
How are left hand turns handled with a setup like this?
Separate signals for the bike lane and vehicle lanes. Vehicle lane may get a green light and the bike lane remains red or vice versa.

Different location in Calgary but this illustrates what they have done in places. Leftmost signal is for the bike lane.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.04922...7i13312!8i6656

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 10:23 PM

There should be little enough traffic on 106st, and on 102 Ave once the LRT closure is in place that turning drivers can just yield to cyclists just as they will at the many driveways, alleys and other curb cuts that cross the bike lane.

I hope they make improvements to the overall light sequences for pedestrians at the same time.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 4:23 PM
Community Guy

That's the hope, but at the very least the opportunity is there now.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 6, 2017, 6:18 PM
Community Guy

104 Ave portion has moved north to go down 105 Avenue from 119st-101st.

Green paint being applied.

https://twitter.com/IanOyeg

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 1:40 AM
Community Guy

Exemplifies the reason FOR the protected bike network.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 2:07 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post

I have seen a couple drivers do that in the last few days. We have lots of bad drivers when it comes to pedestrians and the bike lanes are newly installed so that may throw some people off. Hopefully in time drivers become more aware. I should also add driving large dully downtown for people not used to driving in more cramped quarters can be part of the problem on what is now one lane streets. Both vehicles that I saw running over things were large trucks on of which was a dully.

The other part of this equation is bikers. Please use the bike lanes. I have seen multiple times this year already a guy on the bike weaving though traffic and not in the bike lane. Bikers there is a reason for these things use them.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 3:39 PM

They're not open yet, so cyclists really can't be expected to use them. The last I checked there were still barricades a couple spots per block.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 7:06 PM
Community Guy

Accessible cycling options coming to Downtown

May 9, 2017

Media are invited to an update on the progress of the Downtown Bike Network. Councillor Ben Henderson and the project team will provide an overview of the Downtown Bike Network including the adaptable design, installation and timelines.

Date: Wednesday, May 10, 2017
Time: 12:00 pm

The Downtown Bike Network is 7.8 km of protected bike lanes and shared use paths being implemented in Edmonton’s Downtown core. It will provide an all-ages, accessible option for cyclists to travel within Downtown.

Media contact:

Kristi Bland
Communications Advisor, City of Edmonton
780-495-9904

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 7:22 PM
Community Guy

New cycling options coming to Downtown this summer

May 10, 2017

The Downtown Bike Network is on its way! Construction of 7.8 kilometres of protected bike lanes and shared use paths running throughout Edmonton’s core began in early April with the removal of existing pavement markings, and the installation of new markings, flex bollards, signage and signal phasing.

The network will provide an all-ages, safe environment for cyclists to be separated from other modes of transportation. It is another way for the City to meet the transportation needs of all our citizens and contributes to building a livable and vibrant city.

Construction of the network will continue over the next two months, with the majority of the network anticipated to be complete by July. Parking restrictions will be in place along the network during the installation, and all modes of transportation are reminded to watch for continued on-street changes to parking, signs, concrete curbs and signals over the next two months.

After extensive review, a new East - West connector route was selected resulting in the network moving from 104 Avenue to 105 Avenue. The new design will provide enhanced cycling options, by connecting 105 Avenue from 116 Street to 101 Street on the north side through to Queen Mary Park. Due to this change, this part of the network will open later this summer. A detailed map of the network has been released and can be viewed at Edmonton.ca/BikeDowntown.

A survey is also now available for individuals to provide feedback. The survey is one part of the evaluation and monitoring program that will determine how adjustments will be made as needed to keep the network a safe and accessible transportation option, while minimizing impacts on other modes of transportation. There will be an evaluation period to determine how the network is operating before any potential changes are considered.

A public launch party to officially open the grid is planned for August 26. Additional details on this one-day festival will be announced in the coming months.

In June 2014, Edmonton City Council approved the 2014-2018 Bike Infrastructure Plan, which identified the need to build high-quality bike lanes in core areas of the city, including downtown. The Downtown Bike Network was approved by City Council in October 2016, to be open by summer 2017.

For more information:

edmonton.ca/BikeDowntown

Complete the survey

Media contact:

Kristi Bland
Communications Advisor, City of Edmonton
780-495-9904

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 8:23 PM

Took the survey as a DT resident who both walks and drives part of the track (103 Street).

Have to say, my only beef is the right turn only sign NB at the top of 103 Street Hill - creates a disaster for those wanting to go straight through. (And I'm going against rush hour traffic, not caught in it)

Otherwise, think it's a great start on a network that will actually get used.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemike View Post
They're not open yet, so cyclists really can't be expected to use them. The last I checked there were still barricades a couple spots per block.
I know the ones downtown are not open but in places like 127 street they are and bikers not using them.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 9:22 PM

I can't speak for 127, which I understand is getting some construction this year too, but I've ridden a couple of the other old painted bike lanes recently - 106st north of whyte the lane is such horrible paving that to use it would be a hazard. the completed part of 83ave was OK but half the width is full of grit. and 121st is an unsafe "door zone" design, so I ride in a safe place outside the door zone and the bike lane, especially when that one dually pickup truck is parked there.

For the most part, if someone is riding a bike outside a bike lane there's a good reason.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 4:14 PM

^Totally agree here, some of the roads are in really bad shape. It is unfortunate some of the painting going on DT is being done on some shitty roads that should actually be repaved, ie. 103 Street. I'm assuming it is budget issues and repaving this is not part of the short term plan.

About 106 Street, I started riding my bike to work couple weeks back and my commute is from downtown to Whitemud/Calgary Trail. 106 Street has a designated bike lane all the way through but is in such a horrible state that I had to find a separate route for most of the stretch. It is too damaging for my bike, I really hope they have plans to repave this street, it is one of the worst in the city.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 7:28 PM

105 ave west of 109st is getting one lane width repaved today. They're moving fast, it's fun to watch.

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 1:20 AM

I guess I have to take back my rant, the City tore up part of 103 street and are repaving it. Odd that they have the whole bike lane system up and then removed it to repave. They must have realized how many complaints they will be getting.

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 8:46 PM

How accurate would you guys say the bike paths listed on google maps are for the city of Edmonton?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 5:07 PM
Community Guy

Bike planters will be installed within 2 weeks!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton