HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Bike planters will be installed within 2 weeks!
Hope we get a good crop of bikes this year. maybe some red and yellow ones. maybe some hybids.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintzilla View Post
How accurate would you guys say the bike paths listed on google maps are for the city of Edmonton?
There's some strange stuff in there. Some friendly sharrowed streets that aren't there, 101st is listed as a bicycle friendly street for just a block north of downtown, lots of places where random sidewalks are included but have next to no value for wayfinding, like around commonwealth, just one section of rice howard way being included but not connecting to anything at all. Almost every walking path at the Uof A is included but none of the ones open to vehicles are. It's kind of a mixed bag.

But the most important routes are there.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 4:40 AM
Community Guy

Get a sneak peek at the Downtown Bike Network!

June 13, 2017

The Downtown Bike Network is almost here! Media are invited to attend a guided ride through part of the Network before the phased opening begins. Hear more about the new markings, signs, and signals, and what they mean for cyclists, pedestrians and motorists.

Date: Thursday, June 15, 2017
Time: 10 a.m. - 11 a.m.
Location: Start at the Ribbon of Steel bike path west of 109 Street and 100 Avenue
Participants will be travelling east along 100 Avenue.

Due to space, we ask that a maximum of two participants per media outlet attend. Please confirm your attendance by June 14 at 3 p.m. This is a tour through a section of the Downtown Bike Network. Please bring your bicycle, helmet and appropriate attire. Photo opportunities will be available.

There will be no media feed available and interviews will take place after the tour. Media also have the option to walk along the sidewalk, or meet at the education stations. Please confirm your mode of transportation when confirming attendance. Depending on the number of participants, there may be multiple tours to safely accommodate everyone. The event is weather dependent.

Please RSVP to:

Kristi Bland
Communications Advisor, City of Edmonton
780-495-9904

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 5:10 PM

Haven't seen 100 Ave recently - 102 Ave with flower beds added recently is looking really good.

Lots of cyclists checking it out, even with the barricades still in place - have high hopes this will get lots of usage.

For drivers, only concern is alleyways (be extra careful) and the very short left turn cycle. I understand the need for safety, but during rush hour the brevity might lead to some driver frustration.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 5:52 PM
Community Guy

Expect some updates soon

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 6:52 PM

^how about an update in getting rid of those suicide barriers on the bridge.
Those things really gotta go.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 7:16 PM

^Suicide attempts on High Level Bridge down 50 per cent
http://myemail.constantcontact.com/N...id=bD1ZYy3nFWA

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 8:37 PM

For many, it's not the suicide barriers per se - it's that the installed barriers are not what they were sold in what appears to be either (yet another) Transportation Dept massive blunder or, worse, bait and switch.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 5:15 PM

It's here!

PSA - The Downtown Bike Network is here! The project team is pleased to announce the phased
opening of the Network will start Friday, June 16 . The first sections opening include:

● 100 Avenue from 103 Street to 110 Street
● 103 Street from 100 Avenue to 103 Avenue
● 107 Street from 99 Avenue to 100 Avenue

Cyclists are encouraged to use the protected bike lanes as they open. Available protected bike
lanes will have “now open” signs along the route. Please watch for announcements as other
segments of the network open. Everyone, whether you are riding, walking or driving, is
reminded to look both ways when crossing intersections and to watch for new pavement
markings, signage and signals during their commute, especially at alley and parkade
entrance/exits.

New additions have been added to the roadways with the network, such as green boxes, new
signals and signs. For details on how these work, please visit edmonton.ca/bikedowntown . The
City of Edmonton will also have a street team out during peak hours to help educate about the
network and to answer questions from pedestrians, cyclists and drivers.

Phased openings will take place throughout the summer, with the majority of the Downtown Bike
Network opening by July. Stay tuned for more details on the grand opening celebration that will
take place on Saturday, August 26!

Thank you for your continued patience during the construction and as we begin to open the
network. To stay up to date on what sections are open, details on the route, and the community
event, please visit edmonton.ca/bikedowntown .

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 7:50 AM

I really like what I am seeing with these bike lanes. Here are my thoughts

+ I like that the colour green is being used as a signal of bike activities. This should be the standard going forward in all areas of the city.
+there is very good visibility for both bikes and cars.
+the road surfaces are in pretty good condition.
+ bike signals are great

- I understand the reason why it had to happen downtown but going forward I strongly disagree with having both directions be on the same side of the street. When the strathcona push happens I really hope they don't keep it this way.
- the organizers should create a short animated video describing the bike boxes. This video can be played on local news or commercials or even YouTube. I watched the video on the journals site and I am still confused. I don't understand why the lady dismounted her bike and did a 180. That would be really annoying. Edit: I think I there will be serious issues with right turns using that bike turn box. You have to cross in front of oncoming bike traffic to get to the box.
- the markings and paths will be worn down each winter from snow clearing so there needs to be money budgeted for maintenance each year.

Great job to all those involved with this. Can't wait to see this in more areas of the city. This stuff should be mandatory in new construction areas as the multi use paths are not adequate imo.

Also this would be a good time for the city to review their bicycle bylaws. Make bells and front/rear lighting mandatory. I've lived in places where you can get fined for no lights at night and it really helps adoption and safety.

Last edited by mintzilla; Jun 16, 2017 at 10:40 PM.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 8:23 AM

Looks great. I am sooo pleased to see this roll out. I hope there are concrete plans for the next phase.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 4:04 PM
Community Guy

Simply put, a game changer.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 4:32 PM

Pretty sure that bells are already mandatory, but if not they should be. Lights are great but aren't actually necessary for safe operation at low speeds of casual cyclists in areas with street lighting.

We also need "Idaho stop" rules, a clear "crossbike" rule for multi-use path crossings so dismounting isn't expected, and reduced neighbourhood speed limits, among other things.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 6:06 PM
Community Guy

Sat and observed the new bike lanes in a few areas today. Pedestrians need to be mindful of advanced greens for cars and drivers need to understand what the no right turns on red mean with a green bike signal. All part of the education and awareness as we move into a new era of modal use.

https://twitter.com/IanOyeg

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Sat and observed the new bike lanes in a few areas today. Pedestrians need to be mindful of advanced greens for cars and drivers need to understand what the no right turns on red mean with a green bike signal. All part of the education and awareness as we move into a new era of modal use.

https://twitter.com/IanOyeg
I walked by there as the woman with the chariot was pulling up to the intersection.

Watched the interaction on that street earlier. cars coming out of the alley need to be aware of the bikes crossing as well.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2017, 10:27 PM
Community Guy

Amazing to see so many bicycles out and about today. Feels like a much more contemporary, modern, inclusive and urban city today folks.

https://twitter.com/DBAyeg

Old Posted Jun 18, 2017, 12:30 AM

One thing I like about the traffic signal changes on 103 St is no more terminally long waits to cross 100 Ave and Jasper Ave. The wait in either direction seems to be less than a minute now. Now if only they can make the same signalling changes for the rest of downtown, especially 104 St.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2017, 2:07 AM

Looking at the picture of the lights - I am not sure drivers in the opposite direction will look left to see a light. It may be that a flashing orange light for right turns needs to be installed at intersections that experience high traffic volumes?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2017, 2:11 AM
Community Guy

In a car it is much easier to see the whole picture once you take a moment and certainly after you get used to it.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2017, 2:53 PM

Quote:
In a car it is much easier to see the whole picture once you take a moment and certainly after you get used to it.
I think your optimism is what we all hope for ... and there are no divers that are distracted or under some influence that fail to look left. Bicyclists will need to be extra alert at key intersections.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton