HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 12:03 AM

Aw man looking through all these really old pictures gets me really sad :-(. I feel like if Winnipeg had cared about preserving its heritage buildings over the last 100 years, Winnipeg would be a much more vibrant and interesting place. I think it would have been almost on par with Québec City in terms of having such a sizable and beautiful historic downtown. Instead we have parking lots everywhere and ugly 60s concrete towers.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 2:18 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshlemer View Post
Aw man looking through all these really old pictures gets me really sad :-(. I feel like if Winnipeg had cared about preserving its heritage buildings over the last 100 years, Winnipeg would be a much more vibrant and interesting place. I think it would have been almost on par with Québec City in terms of having such a sizable and beautiful historic downtown. Instead we have parking lots everywhere and ugly 60s concrete towers.
winnipeg went stagnet after 1914 then it started looking up in the late 20's then bam the crash and the decay that everywhere in the world saw this loss of heritage is not unique to our city it happend everywhere in north amarica. post war saw growth in new ideas and out and u saw everywhere doing that. winnipegs mistake was elections every single yr witch cost us our subway when juba won........

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 5:45 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

long forgoten industry of north st b along the red where those million dallor homes went up

poped up in the mhs facebook group
heres a pdf linked about the company
https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https...4VfG4rPAglrs_E

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 3:02 PM

^^
1928 air photo of north St. B. below - you can see both of those buildings west of the race track. Thanks for those photos 1ajs.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 3:29 PM

If I remember correctly, I believe the larger of those two buildings became the canning plant for Canada Packers. I'm not sure when they were torn down. Maybe the 1950 flood played a role in their demise (just a guess).

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 4:21 PM

St B

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
long forgoten industry of north st b along the red where those million dallor homes went up

poped up in the mhs facebook group
heres a pdf linked about the company
https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https...4VfG4rPAglrs_E
That is an unbelievable picture and building!! I have never seen or envisioned that much architecture on the site. Can you imagine it today as a liquor distillery or an art gallery like the Power Plant in London! The amount of architectural loss in Winnipeg over 60 years makes the bombing of Dresdin look tame by comparison...

Such financial wealth poured into this city to be lost with not even the architectural skeletons left.

It's just shocking...

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
If I remember correctly, I believe the larger of those two buildings became the canning plant for Canada Packers. I'm not sure when they were torn down. Maybe the 1950 flood played a role in their demise (just a guess).
I did a little bit more research. It looks like it survived the flood. I was right, it became the Canada Packers feed division and vegetable canning division. It last appears in the Henderson Directory in 1957. After that it is listed as vacant in the directory until 1963, when it is listed as 'no return'. After that, the address entry disappears.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 5:16 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
That is an unbelievable picture and building!! I have never seen or envisioned that much architecture on the site. Can you imagine it today as a liquor distillery or an art gallery like the Power Plant in London! The amount of architectural loss in Winnipeg over 60 years makes the bombing of Dresdin look tame by comparison...

Such financial wealth poured into this city to be lost with not even the architectural skeletons left.

It's just shocking...

makes one wonder why buisnes just left

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 5:19 PM
the first stamp is free

Why can't I see 1ajs' picture of that building?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 5:22 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

some more from the discusion over on mhs

1950 flood

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 2:14 AM

It's peculiar to me how 100 years ago you had the hyper-urban Exchange District on one side of the river, but on the other bank it was a couple of industrial plants, a few homes scattered around,a race track, and a bunch of empty lots. How did an area so close to downtown Winnipeg fail to become a dense urban neighborhood?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 2:21 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

rail way

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 3:16 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It's peculiar to me how 100 years ago you had the hyper-urban Exchange District on one side of the river, but on the other bank it was a couple of industrial plants, a few homes scattered around,a race track, and a bunch of empty lots. How did an area so close to downtown Winnipeg fail to become a dense urban neighborhood?
Well. The corner site that the Richardson project is going has never had a building on it. It’s 100m from the Grain Exchange Building and 200m from Portage and Main. It’s a weird city.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 3:19 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

realy never had a building on it?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
realy never had a building on it?
I think there would have been buildings on that site way back... like, pre-1882. Andrew McDermot's house was somewhere around Westbrook and Portage East, and a number of early warehouses (read: wooden sheds) were also in the vicinity, but nothing substantial.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 6:53 PM

These photos are great finds, many of which I had never seen before.

Most of us have seen many historical photos of Main St., Portage Ave., Broadway, etc., but I have seen very, very few photos of suburban Winnipeg from the pre-WWII and esp. the pre-1920s era (ie. before the automotive age, the Good Roads Movement and the era of significant road improvements). What did Portage Avenue look like west of Ferry Road? What did Charleswood look like or Henderson north of McLeod? I know there was streetcar service as far as Headingley and North Kildonan more than a century ago so there must be some photos.

What about the ferries across the rivers? I believe there was one at the foot of Ferry Road and I also am quite sure that Rouge Road was called Ferry Road as well and led from Portage Ave. down to a ferry to Charleswood. Was there also one at the foot of St. Charles St.?

Prior to WWII, were most residential streets in the suburbs just gravel (or mud) roads with ditches or were they paved? Did they have sidewalks? I have heard that initially in the inner suburbs hydro poles ran along the street and were moved to the rear lanes at a later time. Is this true? And before Winnipeg got its water from Shoal Lake and built a sewer system, what did people use for waste disposal? I'm assuming outhouses? But where did bathwater, etc. drain?

Also, I know that until 1955 Portage streetcars turned around just past Assiniboine Park, at Deer Lodge, but where exactly was the loop? I have seen a few photos but I can't make out the exact location.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 7:42 PM

- This image of Main Street at Belmont (West Kildonan) in 1948 gives a good sense of what the major streets looked like out in old suburbia. Most of what would be the median and the middle two lanes today would have been for electric utilities, ie, hydro poles and streetcar tracks. I think that around the early part of the century, only one side of the streets (between properties and the streetcar corridors) were graded or paved and had sidewalks. This is why, for example, the north side of Portage Avenue between Sherbook and Polo Park is (relatively more) built up with older/more sidewalk-oriented buildings.

- In the late 1940s and early '50s, streetcar lines disappeared when suburban streets were fully paved. I recall reading this was the case on Academy and on Corydon: the City wanted to pave the entire roadway, but wanted Winnipeg Electric to pay their share if they kept streetcar tracks in the road, level with the new pavement (similar to downtown Portage Ave. or Main). Winnipeg Electric didn't want to pay for this, so it just converted the routes to electric trolleybuses.

- The City of Winnipeg required indoor plumbing and toilets for all residential buildings in 1905, and the addresses of properties that didn't upgrade by the deadline were published in the newspaper. This would have largely done away with outhouses within City limits. I imagine many of the suburban municipalities didn't make these same requirements until later in the century.

- Totally an aside, but I wonder when livestock began to be regulated in the City. People would of course keep horses in the early 20th century, but I think I've heard of some Point Douglas households kept a cow or two in the backyard. My grandfather would tell me that when he would visit his grandparents' house on McMillan near Nassau St., they had a few chickens in their backyard. This would have been the mid-1930s.

Last edited by wardlow; Jan 26, 2018 at 8:08 PM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
I think there would have been buildings on that site way back... like, pre-1882. Andrew McDermot's house was somewhere around Westbrook and Portage East, and a number of early warehouses (read: wooden sheds) were also in the vicinity, but nothing substantial.
Looks like there used to be houses on the site (Westbrook used to be called Victoria). This is the fire insurance map from 1906.
https://imgur.com/a/I9twu

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 8:06 PM
Speak the truth, then run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Prior to WWII, were most residential streets in the suburbs just gravel (or mud) roads with ditches or were they paved?
Interesting trivia: For a while (at least part of) Archibald was paved with wooden blocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Did they have sidewalks?
Winnipeg built vast amounts of sidewalk during the depression as a make-work project.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 10:47 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
No building big enough to have an address. There were buildings somewhere around it of course, but never at the intersection.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan