HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 10:35 PM
ARTchitecture

Okay dude, but all of that data about London is completely inconsequential. No one said anything about London having low ridership, or London at all. It's interesting that they have high ridership, but that's only because of the huge University and major college. The bus system in London is the worst system I've been on, I don't know what the LTC is thinking when they commission routes, but holy crap they need to be fired.

The city hasn't asked for LRT funding. Who cares if it's in the long term plan? Saskatoon, Regina, Thunder Bay, and many other cities have long term plans for it too. That doesn't mean that just because it's been mentioned, the government is going to throw money at them. Hamilton, Ottawa, Toronto, and KWC all asked for it after formulating sensible, concrete and serious plans for it. So they got it. Hamilton got more for some reason which kinda sucks for everyone else, but whatever. London is a completely inconsequential topic in this discussion. The city is still a few years away from even a serious plan for BRT. If it asks the ministry of transportation for help in funding the BRT, I'm sure they'll get some. My main point is that just because London isn't getting money thrown at them for something they haven't yet asked for, that does not mean they are being disenfranchised by the government.

I don't think any city but Hamilton asked for 100% government funding for theirs anyways. Perhaps that's why they got it.. I dunno.

I'm stoked that all the largest metros in Ontario will have LRT by 2020 hopefully London will have it by 2030 or so.

and I don't need it in the perspective of Alberta. I only live here. I basically grew up in London, and have lived all over Ontario (and Canada).

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 11:08 PM

No matter how LTC designs their routes, it won't change fact that London is located in the snowbelt. Public transit will be an impractical option no matter what.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 11:16 PM
ARTchitecture

Then what is their excuse in the summer?

aaaaaaaanyways!

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 11:17 PM
ARTchitecture

Woah neat-o! Does Hamilton actually run busses like this? Found this pic online and supposedly it's Hamilton!

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamilton_Street_Railway

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 11:19 PM
It's Hammer Time

^ Yes, that's the downtown to Waterfront bus. It's free too. Only available during the warm months.

It's a replica of Hamilton's HSR trolley. Even the interior is a replica, wooden benches.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 11:19 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
I don't think any city but Hamilton asked for 100% government funding for theirs anyways. Perhaps that's why they got it.. I dunno.
I think Mississuaga is, and Toronto is getting things pretty guaranteed, Hamilton is just trying to get what the GTA is getting.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 11:26 PM
ARTchitecture

Oh, well great then!

that is so cool I love that Hamilton bus. I wish Hamilton had followed Toronto a bit and not tore up its street car network. But at least the city will be getting light-rail soon! How exciting!

What are the timelines for Ontario's numerous LRT systems?
I know Toronto's is already underway
Ottawa's is starting this year
I thought the Waterloo Region Light rail was starting this year, but not sure
Mississauga starting 2014?
Hamilton... guessing 2016? I dunno

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 11:32 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Hamilton... guessing 2016? I dunno
Doubt we will see construction until after the 2015 Pan Am Games.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 4:06 AM
Insertoronto

You have to remember that the Mississauga and Hamilton LRTs aren't completely funded yet, we will have to wait until June to really know whether or not they will be happening.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 4:14 AM
gettin' rich!

I know that the bus rapid transit line in Mississauga is being built to be up converted to LRT down the line when there is the money, capacity and wherewithal to do that.

The bus rapid transit on its own will be exciting for Mississauga. But still they need at least 2 LRT lines.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 3:07 PM
Community Guy

Next up, trying to push the West LRT. Blue was funded yesterday.

(http://jamiesonhome.com/siteFiles/Im...T%20Routes.gif)

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 3:12 PM
ARTchitecture

Are they deciding whether or not to have it underground or above ground through downtown?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 3:18 PM
Community Guy

^The current LRT is underground through downtown, the new downtown 'connector' which will tie the SE and West lines will be imbedded in the roadway at grade.

(http://www.edmonton.ca/transportatio...hurchillSq.jpg)

(http://urbanist.typepad.com/.a/6a00d...f8e8970b-800wi)

(http://photos.edmonton.ca/Transporta...M/Portal-M.jpg)

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 3:38 PM
gettin' rich!

Lookie What Me Find on Flickr!

Looks more like a small train, than a streetcar; but ok.

lol!

G Viloria Photography on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 3:49 PM

Those street cars are awesome! would love to see that here, though that will never happen, all the drivers would cry social engineering lol.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 4:04 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Those street cars are awesome! would love to see that here, though that will never happen, all the drivers would cry social engineering lol.
That's what Rob Ford Says, lol! The Car has a god-given right to the roads of downtown Toronto. Why should a 300 pound dude from Etobicoke have to walk (heaven-forbid) downtown, or take a streetcar?

Thankfully, the only thing he runs in this city, is his fat mouth.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 5:28 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
The key to adding trams in Calgary would be to ensure they are constructed as part of additions to the carriageway/ROW instead of reappropriation of current road space. For instance, it would have been a lot easier to add a tram to 16th Avenue North when they were widening the road instead of having to add it retroactively by reassigning the new lanes.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 5:44 PM
gettin' rich!

If you thought the new streetcars would sound better than the old ones, you're in for a rude awakening....

Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 5:45 PM
ARTchitecture

A tram on 16th Avenue North and on 17th Avenue South would be great!, maybe even make it a loop, with connections to Bridgeland Station in the East and Sunalta and Jubilee in the West.

A network of trams in the Beltline would be great. 17th, 14th, and 11th Avenues.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 10:56 PM
Winnipeg Transit Nerd

Quote:
A tram on 16th Avenue North and on 17th Avenue South would be great!, maybe even make it a loop, with connections to Bridgeland Station in the East and Sunalta and Jubilee in the West.

A network of trams in the Beltline would be great. 17th, 14th, and 11th Avenues.
Nenshi better do this in office, before a Rob Ford-like mayor demands nothing but subways

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada