HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 9:35 PM

^ Good question, I was wondering that myself.

On another note, I've seen some tyndall stone cladding going up on the lower floors of the south tower this week.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 9:44 PM
What could go wrong?

...almost done
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Next question, is there any amenity space on top of the Office tower? Or is it just mechanical. I ask because they're covering in the whole thing with insulation, no windows. Makes me lean towards mechanical floors only and no public. Some nice views from up there.
Doesnt look like there is any amenity space on top of tower 1

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 10:26 PM

Oh look, a skylight! haha ya not much up there. Tower 2 looks nice though.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 10:04 PM

Top floor glazing starting to go in. Gives the tower part more of a finished look!

It's amazing how closely the renders match the built product. Right down to the number of windows, and the different colours. They're even installing the thick, white, horizontal supports for the Scotiabank sign right now on the south side (which is shown in the above image). Same location, colour, etc.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 10:17 PM

^ If what Vike says about the likelihood of the southernmost tower getting built is true, then that really sucks. Having TNS built right up to St. Mary Ave. gives it a nice polished look. Turning that area into a parking lot/loading zone for the hotel with the back end of the buildings along Edmonton St. clearly visible would be a major aesthetic letdown.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ If what Vike says about the likelihood of the southernmost tower getting built is true, then that really sucks. Having TNS built right up to St. Mary Ave. gives it a nice polished look. Turning that area into a parking lot/loading zone for the hotel with the back end of the buildings along Edmonton St. clearly visible would be a major aesthetic letdown.
Having these condos in an exciting area and actually being built on time will be a good draw for condo purchasers

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 11:38 PM

If Sutton Place is able to go ahead without the condo tower I’m really curious about how the overall design of the project is going to change.

Hopefully it goes forward as planned... but it’s not a good sign that we haven’t heard anything about pre-sales.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 11:44 PM

If the condos don't get built right away, I'd expect Northland to leave the site vacant with maybe a small parking lot until the time is right to build. So that could mean 5 to 50 years of parking before something ultimately gets built.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 11:54 PM

Quote:
If the condos don't get built right away, I'd expect Northland to leave the site vacant with maybe a small parking lot until the time is right to build. So that could mean 5 to 50 years of parking before something ultimately gets built.
There's a depressing thought.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 11:56 PM

Sutton Hotel and residences

I think something would need to be built there to facilitate the connection from mts centre through true north square across to hotel and the to ?? to connect to convention centre

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 12:21 AM

Quote:
La Grande Résidence at the Sutton Place Hotels are not condos, they are extended stay fully furnished hotel apartments. I dont think anyone needs to worry, it should proceed exactly as planned.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...442394003.html
Quote:
That site will include a 288-room, 18-storey Sutton Place Hotel and a 130-room, 13-storey, luxury rental apartment building owned by Vancouver-based Northland Properties Corp.
Quote:
The five-star hotel and the luxury residential building will be marketed as an extended-stay executive residential operation. It represents the missing piece in the total development concept, a crucial component needed to accommodate larger conventions at the expanded RBC Convention Centre directly across the street on the south side of St. Mary Avenue.

Here is a description of Vancouver's La Grande Résidence:

https://www.suttonplace.com/hotels/s...ande-residence
Quote:
The comfort and services of The Sutton Place Hotel are uniquely combined with the convenience of residential living at La Grande Résidence.
Created for the discerning guest requiring ‘a home away from home’, La Grande Résidence is located in a private building adjacent to the main hotel premises. The 164 magnificent one and two bedroom suites are completely furnished in a modern, charming French décor. Suites include a spacious balcony and impressive kitchen equipped with Miele appliances complete with stunning white marble countertops. Enhanced telephones with voicemail and dataport capabilities are also offered, and direct in-dial lines for each suite can be arranged upon request. Full maid service is available, as well as valet parking, concierge, business centre, laundry and room services. On-site dedicated support staff and computer terminals allow guests to efficiently conduct business away from the home office.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 12:27 AM

^ Best news I've heard all day. Thanks, wpgguy!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 12:42 PM

the Vancouver market for such a place is quite a bit different than the Winnipeg market. I hope it all works out, but high end luxury suites is not in huge demand

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 3:09 PM

It looks like the staging area on the west side of Carlton is almost entirely clear now, just some small odds and sods left. Does that mean construction of the Sutton Place phase of TNS is not far off?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 4:22 PM

Kind of funny how the residential tower blocks out the entire office tower from the cam view. Once they get to the top, won't be able to see anything of the office tower.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
the Vancouver market for such a place is quite a bit different than the Winnipeg market. I hope it all works out, but high end luxury suites is not in huge demand
Northland seems confident enough to invest 100 million in this Development, from the FP article in September:

Quote:
Winnipeg has been a tremendously stable market over the long term, maybe not a high performer," Gaglardi said. "This hotel project will carve out its own market and I think it will grow the market. Right now there are events and functions that won’t come to Winnipeg with the current complement of lodgings downtown. A hotel like this will help the convention centre and help the city."
They are not unfamiliar with the Winnipeg market besides owning the Dallas Stars they own the Sandman Hotels, chop steakhouse and sharks club. they may pick up the NHL business from the Fairmont With the luxury concept.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 5:36 PM

Quote:
It looks like the staging area on the west side of Carlton is almost entirely clear now, just some small odds and sods left. Does that mean construction of the Sutton Place phase of TNS is not far off?
They expect to break ground on the Sutton Place Hotel and Residences around Spring/Summer.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 6:13 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:

They are still in design and haven't even started trade pricing yet. Spring would be out, summer/fall is more likely
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 7:59 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
i have heard that the second tower is not a sure thing yet.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan