HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 2, 2014, 5:45 PM

Montreal has 4

Old Posted Mar 2, 2014, 6:08 PM

As of Friday, Hamilton has four murders in 2014 as well. Way ahead of the pace of previous years.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2014, 6:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoshvilli View Post
Montreal has 4
How many were mob hits?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2014, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl69 View Post
How many were mob hits?
Not sure. At least 2 were domestic types.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2014, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
As of Friday, Hamilton has four murders in 2014 as well. Way ahead of the pace of previous years.
Supposedly Hamilton has a very high missings people count. They can't officially be counted as homicides since they can't find the bodies. At least according to my buddy.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 3:34 PM

15 for Toronto

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 3:58 PM

I have a feeling this will be a bad year for Toronto. 15 already is not good.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 4:09 PM

Montreal is at 5

MONTREAL — Police have no motive and no arrests after a 30-year-old woman was found shot in a car in Lachine late Wednesday night.

At 10:10 p.m., calls came in to 911 about shots fired. Police went to du Pacific Ave., in the former Ville St. Pierre area of Lachine, where they found a car and a woman slumped inside. Montreal police constable Daniel Lacoursière said the woman had been shot in the upper body “at least once.” She was taken to hospital where she died a little while later.

As this was deemed a homicide, the major crimes division has taken over. This was the fifth homicide in Montreal this year.

At this time last year, there were seven homicides.

asutherland@montrealgazette.com

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/...944/story.html

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
I have a feeling this will be a bad year for Toronto. 15 already is not good.
15 is actually pretty normal for this time of year.

2005 -14
2006 -11
2007 -10
2008 -14
2009 -10
2010 -11
2011 -15
2012 -10
2013 -14
2014 -15

Last edited by JuelzJones; Mar 20, 2014 at 6:24 PM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 1:40 AM
I am a typical

It's not "pretty normal", it's tied for "worst of the decade" with 2011, which iirc was a bad year for homicide numbers. The average is 12.4, so it's above average.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 10:38 AM

I think if you were to measure the metro area of most canadian cities, Greater Vancouver would probably have the worst crime rate and Montreal, calgary, and perhaps windsor would rank low on the crime rate scale.

Vancouver is a city with a very high property crime and thievery rate but conversely it has a relatively low violent crime rate.

Surrey is Vancouver's black Eye most definitely. It's the only place in Vancouver I have felt unsafe. Even the DTES isn't that bad, it is merely filled with a lot of druggies who tend to leave you alone.

The city of Vancouver alone is probably one of the safest cities in Canada, the metro area however is not.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 1:29 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

We have a new troublemaker in town.

Allure on George recently had its liquor license revoked and quickly restored as a result of photographs New York City's infamous Kirill took of topless, underage Newfoundland girls at the club.

And to celebrate being open again, last night there was a stabbing at the club.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...tion-1.2591240

Quote:
The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary is investigating what they believe was a stabbing on George Street in St. John's early Saturday.

Police responded to a report of a disturbance around 2:30 a.m.

Officers discovered an injured man, who was taken to the Health Sciences Centre.

The RNC said the victim had injuries consistent with a stabbing.

No further details were provided, and it is not known if any arrests have been made.
No word on the man's condition.

This club is attracting a much rougher crowd than the street is known for and already has a reputation as a place you just don't go if you're not a wannabe gangster or really want to be one's b***h. And all of the controversies are just making it ever more popular.

Video Link

Assaults on George Street are relatively common, but almost never with any sort of weapon. The clash between this club's clientele and the typical George Street crowd (which tends to be older on average, mid 20s to mid 30s, and has the overall atmosphere of a happy, drunken friend) is only going to get worse.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 1:52 PM

It's a reputation that's definitely unwanted. The street as a whole is getting to that shady point.

A guy on my facebook news feed back during St. Patrick's day weekend said he got into an argument with another guy at a bar on George (didn't say which one though). He went to the washroom and was approached by the guy he was arguing with who pulled a handgun from his coat and pointed it at him. I think that spooked him enough to walk away and try not to cause any more trouble.

But yeah, man Allure you're really giving Onyx a run for its money here.

EDIT: looks like last nights stabbing wasn't at Allure. A guy who works down there said the kid literally walked out the door of Sundance onto the street, went up to the victim, and just stabbed him. Which is I guess worse than a drunken brawl considering it could have been anyone in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Last edited by Marty_Mcfly; Mar 29, 2014 at 5:00 PM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 9:54 PM
ハルウララ

It sounds as if George is moving away from pubs and bars and towards clubs. At least, that's my assumption.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
It sounds as if George is moving away from pubs and bars and towards clubs. At least, that's my assumption.
There's still a healthy mix, but most new ventures are Clubs. Then again, the pubs are around for a long time and clubs come and go.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 11:43 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
I think if you were to measure the metro area of most canadian cities, Greater Vancouver would probably have the worst crime rate and Montreal, calgary, and perhaps windsor would rank low on the crime rate scale.

Vancouver is a city with a very high property crime and thievery rate but conversely it has a relatively low violent crime rate.

Surrey is Vancouver's black Eye most definitely. It's the only place in Vancouver I have felt unsafe. Even the DTES isn't that bad, it is merely filled with a lot of druggies who tend to leave you alone.

The city of Vancouver alone is probably one of the safest cities in Canada, the metro area however is not.
DTES has enough people that you know if someone bad happens to you, as a non-DTESider, you will probably be helped pretty quick and it won't be too bad. That said, getting close to weird people makes a lot of "normal" people nervous so it's understandable that most people wouldn't feel safe there, even if the chances of them being a victim of anything are relatively low. I get a similar feeling when walking near our homeless shelter. There are a lot of suspicious people there, and there is a lot of crime, but hundreds of people walk by without issue because it's so visible.

In Surrey, there is hardly anyone around to help you if something happens. Except for a few locations it's got the same "it's dark and desolate and I feel nervous here" feeling as Winnipeg's North End and Thunder Bay's South Core and Court Street areas at night. (And I walked through Surrey Central at 1am while I was there last year, so got a sense of that.) I really didn't feel much different there than I did the worst parts of Thunder Bay and Winnipeg at 1am, aside from being aware that the degree of violent crime in Surrey can be a magnitude worse than what we have here.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 1:08 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Rural Newfoundland and Labrador is policed by the RCMP.

Quote:
2/2 "On 2014-03-29 at approximately 06:34 hrs Bay St. George RCMP responded
to a disturbance at a residence in Felix Cove, NL. On arrival, police
found a male subject deceased inside the residence. Members of Bay St.
George Detachment, Bay St. George GIS, RCMP Forensic Identification Unit
and the RCMP Major Crime Unit are currently in the area conducting
further investigation. There is currently one female in custody and
police are currently dealing with all subjects believed to be involved.
At this time police don't have any public safety concerns in relation to
this incident."
Felix Cove is part of:

Quote:
Port au Port West-Aguathuna-Felix Cove is a small town located on the Port au Port Peninsula of the Island of Newfoundland, Canada. The nearest large service area is Stephenville.

Felix Cove via Twitter.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 8:03 PM

^^
I've been following this Felix Cove murder, here's the Western Star article with a little more detail.

http://www.thewesternstar.com/sectio...n-conditions/1
Quote:
Jasmine Pittman was released from custody on a number of conditions after appearing in Stephenville Provincial Court on Monday.

Police charged the 20-year-old Stephenville woman with break and enter with intent to commit an indictable offence. It was in relation to a Saturday morning incident at Felix Cove, but police have stressed that Pittman did not fire a weapon that resulted in the fatal shooting of a man.
I think a big issue with violence on the peninsula, and it is a growing problem, is the closure of the RCMP detachment out there. Right now the only detachment is the one in town, and police are supposed to patrol the peninsula regularly but the presence is quite small and response time can be a bit too long out there.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 12:20 AM

There was a blurb on the local news tonight about the postponement of an early parole hearing for a guy from Fergus, Ontario convicted of murdering his wife 18 years ago. The murder was the first in Fergus (pop. 20,000) in... well, ever! Nice town!

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 10:34 PM
Aimless Wanderer

This latest Toronto homicide tore a path through the downtown East area minutes from my building.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle17822507/

Quote:
Downtown Toronto shooting leaves rapper Murda Marz dead
JILL MAHONEY

The Globe and Mail

Police are investigating after gunfire erupted in downtown Toronto and continued during a car chase that left a rapper dead and injured two others.

Investigators say Shmar Parris, also known as Murda Marz, was killed after shots were fired on the edge of Ryerson University’s campus early Friday morning, and continued as the 25-year-old’s car was chased by a SUV until it crashed into a pole 1 kilometre away.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada